Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a number of posts since the 650 has been out about the sun’s glare on the dash making the speedo unable to be read. It is frequently added that this is due to the 650’s numeric read out and the needle read out would be better. My question is if the glare is on the plastic surface of the dash, what difference does it make what type of read out is under the plastic dash surface? Isn’t the glare on the surface going to make the read out hard or impossible to read?

I ride with a yellow jacket. I get glare on the dash most the time that makes the gauges hard to read. This happens on both the 650 and the 400.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I don't get it. I have an '04 650, and have NEVER seen glare from the dash that would keep me from reading anything. After the first Glare posts here I actually went out, drove around, and looked for it.

If I were you I wouldn't get obsessed about it. If it happens, it will only happen rarely. If the 400 dash has a glass front it's probably just as likely to be obscured by glare on a rare occasion.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4DThinker said:
I don't get it. I have an '04 650, and have NEVER seen glare from the dash that would keep me from reading anything. After the first Glare posts here I actually went out, drove around, and looked for it.

If I were you I wouldn't get obsessed about it. If it happens, it will only happen rarely. If the 400 dash has a glass front it's probably just as likely to be obscured by glare on a rare occasion.

Dave B.
Dave, as many on this site will attest to I am a poor writer and maybe this is another case of my poor writing skills. I, like you, do not believe there is a problem with the 650 numeric dash. I like it. However, my question was to address the references to the "problem" with the 650 dash style. Today alone there are two posts referring to it.

I am not "obsessed" with it, I am concerned that potential owners will disinterpret some comments as 650 problems.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have never had a problem with glare. I just recently found out that my problem with reading the dash in sunlight was largely my sunglasses, which were not polarized. I switched to Polarized sunglasses several days ago, and I haven't really had any problem reading the dash display since. That said, I'd still prefer conventional gauges.

·
Registered
52 Posts
glare

4DThinker said:

Dave B.
I have to disagree. I have had times on my 400 where I couldnot read the odo/trip and clock meters which are digital but I have never had the analog part of the dash "speedo, tach, fuel and temp gage where I couln't read it. I don't think it has anything to do with glare. I just think that "digital is not as easy to read from all angles as analog.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glare

I get the glare on my way to work in the morning. I'm going West and the sun is directly behind me. Basically, I have to shadow the panel with my head blocking the sun to see anything.

I guess a lot depends on how tall you are, how high you sit on the seat, what time of day, and what direction you are traveling.

Sunglasses will take care of it, if you remember to wear them :roll: . (I usually have my full face shield on)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
No glare problems here on my 650 with 25,500 kms and counting. I do wear polarized clip on sunglass in Amber.

Heres a good question, What colour or shade of sunglasses is best for driving or riding applications?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Allwalk,

I have a couple of different sunglasses that I use, depending upon the driving/weather conditions. My favorite is yellow - increases contrast, making driving must more enjoyable in less that optimal conditions (read FOG and overcast, rainy days here). I have amber for most other times and one pair of very dark shades that I rarely use when driving. Those are better for the rare occassions when I am a pedestrian!

If I could only have one pair, it would definitely be the yellow ones.

Madonna

1 - 11 of 11 Posts