Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can "glade top" trail in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri be done on the Burgman?

Research shows there's lots of gravel road yet lots of motorcycle go there. Are these road motorbikes or scrambler/ off road motorbikes?

Has anybody been on this beautiful trail?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I take it nobody has been there. I'm going to give it a ride even if some of it is gravel...I'll let you know how the flower sniffing trip goes in may.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
As long as the gravel is hard packed and doesn't contain to many pot holes you should be OK. I ride gravel roads on my Burgman's all the time. Only time I have problems is if I hit loose deep gravel where the wheels sink in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've ridden my previous 400 on gravel alongside the South Platte River in the Pike National Forest in Colorado with my wife as passenger. It wasn't by choice as the road started out as asphalt. The washboard road was more treacherous than the gravel however we rode it 15-20 mph and had no problems. Ended up as an epic ride.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I find smaller wheels very skidish on gravel compared to bigger bikes, however I have done some around here, however with that said I wouldn't plan on seeing a pickup truck flying down the gravel road when I'm on "Glade Top trail" hopefully!

What do you normally do when there's a car coming the other way or up behind at a 50mph??

This is where I become an inconfident man lol.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What do you normally do when there's a car coming the other way or up behind at a 50mph??

This is where I become an inconfident man lol.
So if you find a car coming the other way or up behind at a 50mph, your first reaction is to sell the Burgman??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went camping in OK a few weeks back. I only had to go about 1 1/2 miles in the my spot.
I don't think the Burgs do well in gravel at all. This road is not hard packed and has washboard and pot holes. All that will keep you on your toes.
Also, it made me get a fenda extenda because of the mud flung on the radiator.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got misdirected by a BMW riding friend last summer and ended up on a steep rutted muddy forest service road for about 5 miles. While it wasn't fun, it was safe enough at a very modest speed. I was forced to go all the way through because there was no place to turn around. I had less problems than the guy on a Harley.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Whats it like to go 50 + mph on Mud/Dirt and gravel roads then Chip?
I have no idea and no intention of finding out! I have no idea what it's like to go 35+ on the Dragon either. Both of those are simply beyond my ability and I don't need to push that particular envelope. If someone comes up behind me, I just find a wide spot and pull over; he goes his speed, I go my speed, everybody's happy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another thing to consider is if you're going too slow, you're going to glaze the clutch and heat up the clutch bell.
I was at that speed where I had to rev it a little then coast a little, repeat, repeat, repeat!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great tip young man, I'll have to feather it around.

I'm going to do the trail for as long as I got decent ground but I will abort if I have too. According to some other riders it is doable but there are some sketchy patches over the pass and it's desolate up there .

Apparently there's no traffic up there so we won't have to worry about some crazy flying by in a pick up truck at 50 mph, That's what they do on the gravel roads around here sometimes as fast as 75mph. Not something you can do on motorbike, so that was my concern regarding the gravel.

I had to hold off on my California trip due to time this year, but I am heading down to the Ozarks on May 6 to explore. I'll keep it safe n on concrete n smiling!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Unlike most of you apparently, I learned to both both drive cars, trucks and ride motorcycles on gravel roads. Most farm roads and many of the roads in towns in Missouri and Kansas were gravel back then. The result from that is that when on gravel roads of any type, I would be more worried about paint chips from gravel spray than the actual riding. Guess I am lucky learning when and where I did.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts