Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the tunnel bag is here. Givi XS318. Super short mini review (first impressions):

• Standard high-quality that one expects from Givi. Materials and quality are nice.
  • The "window" on top of the bag just barely fits my iPhone 5 inside its Lifeproof Nuud case. No WAY will it hold anything bigger, like my future iPhone 6 Plus (or 7, or whatever). I would not use it for GPS functionality though, due to the "eyes off the road" issue
  • A device in the "window compartment" could be powered via a cord to a battery inside the main bag compartment
  • I verified I can operate my iPhone through the plastic window
  • A small portion of the inside volume of the bag is taken up by the rain cover, which is accessed via an external zipped pouch
  • The exterior side-zippered pockets are decently roomy and I can see them having utility to hold toll road money, a small gun, or other such things. You MIGHT be able to put (up to) a one liter bottle of water in there, and leave it unzipped, and use that as a cup-holder of sorts. It will fit - a tall bottle might be unstable (top heavy), but a shorter one would very likely be OK
  • I'm pretty sure I can fit some kind of buckles to my TMAX, to secure the bag
  • I notice the "throw the leg over" issue more than I thought I might - but I think it is probably manageable for touring
  • If I had the bag completely stuffed, I may not be able to access the little "storage cubbies" in my dash, and possibly it would interfere with the fuel opening. However, if it is not completely stuffed, I can "smoosh" the bag enough out of the way to access any of these
Overall, I could go either way with the bag. My gut feeling is that at $125, it's an extravagance and probably not necessary if you already have saddle bags and top box. I don't want to pay to return it though, and I will probably get some use out of it. I will know more once I get back from my fall trip :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sorry, if you don't mind, what model/year of Burgman is it attached to. I've got a 2014 650.
thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, rats!

Today I went to three different places (REI, Joanne's and Michael's) to look for buckles that would work with this thing. All three had them, but they would not lock into place into the "female" buckles on the bag. They would slide in, but just not lock into place.

I tried 3/4" - which seemed to be the right size, as they fit snugly. But they would not lock in. So either Givi is using some oddball buckle, or maybe they are using a "metric" buckle that is just enough different that an "imperial" one will not work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I only use mine on long trips. The burgy has made me too lazy to throw a leg over the seat.

Reactions: Anon

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I guess it's not a Step Through Scooter anymore, with a tunnel bag, although my B400 isn't really a Step Through Scooter in the first place.

My next project is to make a drink holder, for the "tunnel". Of course, a snap to remove so I can fuel up. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love the bag, great to go shopping with, just sits there, I don't attach it so I just lift out, hold n throw my leg through. Not an issue throwing legs any wheres.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the review and info. I am looking at getting one too, or maybe this model "Givi Easy Range EA105 Scooter Tunnel Bag" Some reviews show this model also working with the Vespa 300 which I also own. Would be nice to have a bag I can use on both. Does anyone have this EA105 model?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems like priced quite high for what you get but I suppose if you don't want to run a topbox it is an easy way to carry and is cheaper than a topbox. I prefer to have the tunnel area open.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a Givi Tunnel bag for the 650AN 2010. I made up some hooks in stainless sheet with dome receivers rivet to them. These went under the engine compartment cover. Worked well. But the reality is with under the seat full 10kg and the top box also 10kg then with two up we are within reach of the maximum load. For this load consideration reason I've not purchased a Givi XS318. On the other hand it would be nice to have for shorter trips, although on the 2010 we were away for more than a week at a time and managed without it before buying one.

So far longer trips on the 2013 have all been with the trailer so plenty of room.

I understand the fastening arrangement supplied is to suit the 2013+ models. Is any user able to confirm?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just made a 4500 mile trip with this bag. I want to update my comments in the OP based on this experience.

• The exterior side-zippered pockets were VERY convenient to have. I put passport and money in one side, as well as used that side as a place for new receipts. I used the other side pocket for things like my tire pressure gauge, volt meter, and other such things. I loved having these side pockets.
  • My velcro solution worked perfectly. Honestly, I dont think you need any kind of fasteners. It stays in place perfectly. No issues at all.
  • The "throw the leg over" issue was more unpleasant than I thought it might be, especially when I was tired, but the convenience of the bag more than made up for the inconvenience of throwing my leg over.
  • When refueling, or trying to access one of the little storage cubbies, I just moved the back out of the tunnel and put it back - not really a big deal.
  • Even with a large 52L top box (with cargo rack on it), a pair of 30L saddle bags, and an 80L duffle in the passenger area, I found the tunnel bag to be indispensable. It was my "go to" bag - my purse of sorts, for everything I wanted to access quickly and conveniently, esp. if I did not want to get off the seat. When camping, or at a hotel, I liked having all my electronics, papers, flash light and other goodies easily accessible
  • I love this bag, and will not make any kind of tour without it in the future
Hope this helps!
ag

·
Registered
761 Posts
Question for those with these bags.... How does the bag sit there in the tunnel hump without any securement?

[*]My velcro solution worked perfectly. Honestly, I dont think you need any kind of fasteners. It stays in place perfectly. No issues at all.
What do you mean by your "velcro solution"? Did you glue velcro strips the hump cover? What about securing a strap to under the seat so that it holds the bag against the very front of the seat? just curious.....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What do you mean by your "velcro solution"? Did you glue velcro strips the hump cover?
Well, I didn't glue it. The "down side" is sticky, so I just stuck it on. It is VERY heavy duty velcro (from Home Depot).

What about securing a strap to under the seat so that it holds the bag against the very front of the seat? just curious.....
I am not sure how that would work.

But honestly, the fit is so tight/good, I don't think the velcro is even necessary. It's just "extra assurance".

·
Registered
939 Posts
take my money now!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good tunnel bag discussion.

I purchased an earlier model Givi tunnel bag in 2007 along with a Givi top box. I initially thought that, at $125, it was an extravagance. Now there are a 3 alternatives available from Givi and several competing tunnel bags.

I would use it as a gym bag and throw it in the top box. When my seat release malfunctioned, I started to use it as a replacement for under-seat storage. I have yet to find a way to open the seat that works.

I originally installed the Velcro strips to secure the bag on top of the tunnel.
I have since removed the Velcro grips and do not use the straps to keep it secure. As long as it near full, it will securely fit in the tunnel or step thorough gap.

The fact that my Givi bag is a custom fit for the 2003 to 2012 Burgman 650 is worth the extra cost to me. I have certainly got $100 worth of utility out of it in close to ten years of use.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
70 Posts
Opening the seat latch after the cable breaks.

Steve wrote: "I have yet to find a way to open the seat that works."

One of the ways described on BUSA was to yank on the seat release cable.
I tried two times and failed because of the limited space and lack of leverage.

On the third try I grasped the cable with my pliers and used a hammer to provide the yank.
This worked. The latch opened and I could get to the battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Givi XS318 25litre tunnel bag on my 2011 B400

Seems to be good quality but it hasn't been through a winter yet

In general I find it good except the phone pocket is small for a lot of newer phones !!!
and it could be a little more rain proof for sudden short but heavy downpours without the rain cover for our Irish weather
I have put phone and wallet in to a zip bag just in case..
Never needed any fixings as it holds steady and secure on my 400 and its easy to pop on an off the scooter

https://www.givi.co.uk/soft-bags/Tunnel Bags/XS318

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a Dowco Iron Rider tail bag that is only somewhat water resistant. Or was. It does have a rain cover but like you implied, hard to stop just to throw on the cover in a sudden down pour only to have the sky clear once the cover is on. I sprayed my tail bag with silicone water proofing spray, more than one coat, and now it sheds water really well. Zippers don't hold out water very well so in a prolonged rain I still use the rain cover but for those short heavy bursts the water proofing spray solved that issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am interested to know it this bag or the ea105 can fold up easily so i can store it under seat. that way when I am at the market and my eyes are bigger than my scooter is, I can pull it out for the ride home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts