Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Givi windshield

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  pauljo 
#1 ·
I purchased my Burger 400 this past Saturday and have been lovin it ever since. This morning I made a trip to my neighborhood Suzuki dealer and purchased a Givi windshield and installed it, what a difference that made to my ride. For you newbies like me, you may want to consider the Givi windshield as your first aftermarket purchase for your Burger. Here are some of the advantages to the Givi screen, no more cold hands, no wind blowing in your face, no buffeting sound and you can smoke a cigar without it burning up in no time flat.

The install is dead simple, it took about a half hour to install including the time I spent telling my wife what a great purchase the windshield was, (some things never change).

Cheers Al

#2 ·
alburg said:
... and you can smoke a cigar without it burning up in no time flat.
One reason for me not to replace the windshield. ;) Glad I can't smoke and ride. :)

#4 ·
Ouch! I'd say that's more than enough to cure the impulse to ride and smoke.

#5 ·
Now if you shot black powder rife you would be used to allsorts flying up yer nose, thats part of the fun!! :tard:
This story reminds me of an old mate who was in the RAF, on weekend leave his mate offered him his bike. Not refusing the offer he roard off on the Friday evening pipe in mouth, before he hit 50 he had this blazing inferno trying to burn his nose off. Promptly grabbing it, it then tried to burn his fingers off. That had the desired effect of making him want to give up.

#6 ·
What size?

I think I may have to make the jump to the Givi Windscreen myself. I currently have the laminar lip (which has done great), however, I'll need some wind relief for my hands this fall/winter. I'm about 6'1"...can anyone suggest what the proper size screen would be (or do they even come in sizes?)

#7 ·
I think I may have to make the jump to the Givi Windscreen myself. I currently have the laminar lip (which has done great), however, I'll need some wind relief for my hands this fall/winter. I'm about 6'1"...can anyone suggest what the proper size screen would be (or do they even come in sizes?)
Andy, as far as I know they come in one size fits all. I am 5’ 10” long in the upper body; I have to sit up real straight to see over the windscreen. The Givi screen sure keeps the hands warm. I think that you will see a vast improvement with the Givi screen.

Cheers Al

#8 ·
Re: What size?

avgibson said:
If its just the hands and you are happy with the lip - then just get some muffs:Linky
and discussed on this thread

#9 ·
alburg said:
...made a trip to my neighborhood Suzuki dealer and purchased a Givi windshield and installed it, what a difference that made to my ride.
The install is dead simple, it took about a half hour to install including the time I spent telling my wife what a great purchase the windshield was, (some things never change).

Cheers Al
How many inches taller than the stock screen is the Givi? How much did it set you back, if you don't mind? I've been thinking that this is my next purchase....

#10 ·
How many inches taller than the stock screen is the Givi? How much did it set you back, if you don't mind? I've been thinking that this is my next purchase....
The Givi windshield is 12 inches taller than the stock windshield, (37 1/2 inches). The cost was $140.00 (Canadian dollars).

Cheers Al

#11 ·
Givi in the Rain?

So my new Givi windscreen is here and I installed it this afternoon! Man...much bigger than I envisioned. I took the bike for a quick ride around the neighborhood and the wind protection was fantastic. So here's my question...I'm about 6'1" tall w/ a long torso, but I can barely see over the top of the screen...how tough is it to see through the Givi in the rain? Anyone have any experience with it?

#12 ·
avgibson wrote
So here's my question...I'm about 6'1" tall w/ a long torso, but I can barely see over the top of the screen...how tough is it to see through the Givi in the rain? Anyone have any experience with it?
It's really not tough at all, you just can't do it....I never tried wax, or Rain-X, or anything
I cut mine down so I could just look over the top but the wind still goes
up over my helmet so when it rains (if I am moving) it's not to bad.
Sounds like you have the same thing without cutting :thumbright:

#13 ·
Randy said:
avgibson wrote
I cut mine down so I could just look over the top but the wind still goes
up over my helmet so when it rains (if I am moving) it's not to bad.
Got the new Givi screen today, and put it on tonight.

I took pictures and can post them if anyone's interested!

Wow, it's TALL. I wanted about 3" more height and got 6 1/2" instead. If I sit WAY up straight I can see over, but barely. I'll drive it a few days, might like it, might not.

If not, what's involved in cutting it down?

Thanks!

#14 ·
#15 ·
billmeek said:
New pictures are always welcome! :wink:

There's some good tips on cutting down the windshield at :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2560
Just a jigsaw and sandpaper, eh? I'VE got all that. Maybe this weekend, we'll see. Thanks for the pointer!

Re: Pictures. When I go to Gallery, I'm asked to log in to do anything other than view, and my burgmanusa password/ID doesn't work. Is this a seperate sign-up process somewhere that I can't find? :?:

Thanks again! :D

#16 ·
manowell said:
Just a jigsaw and sandpaper, eh? I'VE got all that. Maybe this weekend, we'll see.
And don't forget masking tape (or other covering) to protect from scratching the windshield from the jigsaw.

manowell said:
Re: Pictures. When I go to Gallery, I'm asked to log in to do anything other than view, and my burgmanusa password/ID doesn't work. Is this a seperate sign-up process somewhere that I can't find?
Yep. You can PM or email Greengoose (Bryan) and request a username and password or you can use the generic account username of 'burgman' and password of 'burgman'.

#17 ·
billmeek said:
Yep. You can PM or email Greengoose (Bryan) and request a username and password or you can use the generic account username of 'burgman' and password of 'burgman'.
I PM'd him a week ago, still no response. I'll try again.

Another note: Lost around 4 mpg with the Givi screen, haven't seemed to lose any top speed. Around 45 mhp i get a faint, steady, whistle, doesn't get any louder with speed. Anyone else have this or know of a fix?

#18 ·
manowell said:
I PM'd him a week ago, still no response. I'll try again.

Another note: Lost around 4 mpg with the Givi screen, haven't seemed to lose any top speed. Around 45 mhp i get a faint, steady, whistle, doesn't get any louder with speed. Anyone else have this or know of a fix?
Greengoose has been working 84 hour weeks lately, so hasn't been able to spend much time with the forum. I'm sure he'll get back to you when he catches a break in his work schedule.

The whistle is coming from air passing under the base of the screen. You can stuff a strip of foam insulation into that gap to silence the whistle. Someone else said that simply putting a piece of tape over the round nub that positions the windscreen screw cover will also do the trick. It is apparently air blowing past the hole in that nub that is causing the whistle.

One advantage of the foam insulation approach is that it will keep your dash cleaner (it blocks dust and airborne debris from flowing under the windscreen and over the dash). One disadvantage to that method, particularly with the Givi screen, is that it may increase a back pressure effect - the Givi is notorious for that. Depending on your height, that may, or may not, be an issue. Folks who get hit by the backpressure on the back of their helmet have the worst problem with it. It hit me below the shoulder blades - not as much of an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.