Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I installed a Givi after market windshield I hear a crackling noise when the wind cuts across the scooter. Anybody else experiencing the same effect? Sometimes it gets annoying.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have not heard of that problem. Try to get it to make noise while standing still by moving the shield by hand , check your that your rubber grommets are all in the holes and the screws are tight enough.
- I think the 650 uses rubber grommets like the 400, right ?-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Randy: good point about the rubber gromets,but do not try to make the screws extra tight.i have a givi shield that has no problems.the rubber gromets are designed to permit a certaim amount of flex,this cushion effect helps prevent windshield cracking.also each gromet has a metal insert with a female thread.over tightening can pull the insert out of the gromet. there is no specific torque reading as to just how much is not enough ,& how much is too much.it`s something you just have to have a feel for.if you understand how the gromets work (they expand as the screw tension increases wihch locks them into their cylindrical recess) then you will be better able to judge how tight is just right. good luck, rich b.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beleive me I have wiggled, tugged and shook the windshield in an attempt to recreate the noise I hear. It is definitly the wind. I checked the grommets and they are tight.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
don fuzzy said:
I checked the grommets and they are tight.

Too tight? I think this is what Rich was getting at. Don't tighten them all the way down. You have to have feel for them. Too tight will cause cracking of the windscreen as it will not be able to flex. Too loose and the obvious will occur. I Suggest you back off the tension a half turn on each screw. After you've done this grab the winshield and see if you can physically move it. If not then I would try another half turn less and repeat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After installing the Givi windshield I knew I was going to have trouble putting the grommets back in so I sprayed silicone on them before reinserting them. If you have all stopped laughing, I can tell you I quickly reallized that they were spinning freely because now they had no grip. Eventually I was able to pull them out and cleaned them up with brake parts cleaner. Then I guess I got even by cranking them down tight. I'll back them off a half turn or so and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. I love this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts