Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and enjoying and learning very much. I am also new to my bergman 400. I have been riding 49cc scooters for 4 years but this is the first scooter I have had that will go faster than the wind. my question, I am 6'3" with a 34 inseam. my head was above the original screen and getting a whipping, I heard everyone talking about the GIVI windscreen so I decided to buy one. it does work great for keeping the wind from my face but created another problem for me. the larger wind screen seems to move the scooter around going 55mph or higher, the original wind screen seemed more stable. is this something that will pass as I get more experience, I have 575 miles on it , 100 miles with the Givi screen. does anyone have any helpful points on how to deal with this.
Thank You in advance.
AL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also I have a problem looking through the wind screen. do most people look over it or through it just curious ?? I know we all have to do what is best for each of us.I am thinking about cutting down the giva wind screen so I don't have to look though it, is it possible to cut it down to see over it and not get your head in a shake, has anyone ever done this?? does it help. this is all new to me so I hate to cut the wind screen without some knowledge if it will work.
Al

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I cut mine down 1 3/4", or had a shop do it, I should say. The results have been poor, though not disastrously so. Wind noise notably increased, though buffeting did not, while I gained almost nothing in terms of visibility. Right now I'm waiting for the Clearview screen to come out, as I'm very reluctant to cut the Givi any further. OTOH, I've experimented by raising up as high as I can on the highway, trying to simulate more cut-down on the Givi, without any serious buffeting (though with, once again, increased wind noise).

I _really_ don't like looking through my Givi, nor am I at all fond of the noise/buffeting of the factory screen. In the rain, I'm more than half-blind, especially at night (and I _have_ to ride in the rain at night, or else I might as well give up riding altogether). Windscreen issues aside, I love my 400. But I'm extremely displeased with the industry as a whole that something as important to safety as a good visibility in the rain has been so neglected, or only addressed at the expense of buffeting and noise. I feel that the engineers responsible for this have really, really fallen down on the job.

(FYI, I've also tried Rain-X-like products designed for plastic windscreens. They didn't help at all.)

My main hope is that the Clearview will fix things. My secondary hope is that if the Clearview doesn't work, a Laminar Lip will. My tertiary hope is to try more cut-down on the Givi. My last fallback plan is to give up riding entirely, at least until someone invents and markets a reasonable comfort/visibility-maximized windscreen system, before scootering around half-blind all the time in the rainy darkness gets me killed.

I sure hope I don't have to go to number four. I _like_ scootering, when I can see!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I echo lapine Rider's displeasure with the non-shedding rain issue of the Givi and am contemplating mounting my Laminar Lip (unused atm) on the lower portion of the Givi in hopes it will direct more airflow upward against the screen in hopes of shedding the rain better. Has anyone tried that?
I've been waiting because i want to install a goldwing vent in the Givi but want to be sure I'm doing it right before making any cutting which may ruin the screen and my investments.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the reply, well I suppose I am still at a dilemma with this wind screen, taking the lesser of two evils I will have to cut it down. it certainly drives me nuts looking through it.
thank you all.
Al

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I would inform everyone on the result of cutting down my givi wind screen. I cut down 4/12", I can now see over the top of the screen (which is great) I do not get any Buffeting on my head, I do wear ear plugs for the wind so that is not a factor. I used a good jigsaw with a medal blade (cutting very slow also put masking tape on the bottom of the saw as to not scratch the screen) I have a 1" beltsander that I used to complete the smooth curves, final sanding was done by hand. I have to say I am very happy with the result.
AL

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Cutting down your Givi Screen

Al,
How tall are you? Would you please post some photos of your cut down screen.
Thanks.
Patti

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Patti, I am 6' 3", I thought by cutting down the givi wind screen I would be defeating the purpose of buying it (head buffeting) but looking through the curves of the plastic drove me nuts plus I felt my vision was obscured . to my surprise after completing the project I took it for a test run and had no problems, I have to assume the width of the givi screen made the difference. keep in mind unless you are very handy with tools don't try this yourself, to make a longer story short, I finished the edge with a 600 grid paper to match the factory edge. with the bevel. I will take some pictures the next time I take the scooter out.
AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts