Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my personal review of the Givi and Clearview Windshields for my '13 Burg 650. I own both of these windshields and have no affiliation with either company. I have no ax to grind with either company.

I purchased the Givi from Kiwi Dave on this board and I recommend him. I purchased the clearview from the company directly.

Let's begin with the products. The Givi is a big windshield with lots of hand protection. It is a tall windshield but tapers nicely at the top. The Givi has a high level of fit and finish. The thickness of the Givi is the same as the stock windshield. Shorter rides will not be able to see over the Givi even in the down position. If you are 5'9" or shorter you will most likely be looking through the Givi and not over it. At 5'11" and a 31" inseam I am able to see over the top of the Givi in the down position but just barely (If i slouch I can't see over it). There is MINIMAL distortion when looking through the Givi windshield so it isn't an issue if you prefer to look through it rather than over it.

The factory finish of the Givi is superb but the shipping process isn't so great. My Givi (Kiwi Dave replaced my first one which had the same issue) had some minor scratches. Givi needs to ship these windshields with a piece of cellophane over the surfaces (top and bottom) like Clearview does so this issue goes away.

I have had the Givi for 2 months now and really like the windshield. My biggest complaints are the following:

1. Lack of a vent or vent option
2. Mediocre packaging at the factory which means a few minor scratches
3. Mediocre Thickness of the acrylic/plastic which results in flexing at high speeds (similar to the stock shield but not quite as much flex)

I have the clearview (plus 3 inches) and Clear with Vent. If you are shorter than 5'9" I do not recommend this size screen as it will be too tall. The Clearview has a lot more distortion to your visual field so it is more important to be able to look over the Clearview rather than through it. I was disappointed by the distortion of the visual field as I had gotten used to the excellent Givi when looking through my windshield.

That said, the Clearview is MUCH thicker than the Givi in terms of the Acrylic/plastic. It looks and feels like 50% thicker than the Givi. Clearview didn't skimp here on material. The stability of the Clearview is superior at low and high speeds vs the Givi. This is a THICK windshield.

I was disappointed in the fit and finish of the Clearview. The one I got was 1/16" of inch taller on the left hand side (rider's left view mirror side) vs the right hand side. I could see a small, 1/32" Valley at the top as well. The Windshield looked as though it was cut in someone's garage and not at a factory. The top edge was smooth but the overall quality was less than Givi by a wide margin. The company did ship the product with due care and placed cellophane over over the windshield. There wasn't a scratch or blemish on it.

The Clearview windshield seems like about 1" shorter than the Givi. The shapes of the windshield are very different with the Clearview having more of a square cut at the top while the Givi is curved like the OEM windshield. I prefer the shape of the Givi over the Clearview. Hence, you can't just look at the specs when comparing windshield sizes as the Cleaview doesn't taper at the top as much as the Givi so it feels taller than its actual measurements.
I recommend no more than plus 1 or 2 inches for riders less than 5'9" if you buy the Clearview.

The Clearview Vent is a nice feature. It reduces backpressure at high speeds and is a major plus over the Givi. The biggest drawback to the Givi is the lack of a venting option.

The Givi is considerably cheaper than the Clearview. This may play a role in your decision. But, if you add the cost of an aftermaket Vent to the Givi the prices seem to match up closely.

My biggest complaints about the Clearview:

1. Poor factory finish of the windshield; Overall quality seemed like a home project.
2. Poor hand/wind protection vs the Givi
3. Square cut at the top rather than a taper like the Givi
4. Visual distortion when looking through the windshield

Overall, if I could choose only one aftermarket windshield I would pick the Givi with an aftemarket vent option. For shorter riders who prefer to look over their windshields the Clearview remains a solid pick.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will continue to post more comments about the Clearview vs Givi on this thread. My plan is to leave the Clearview in place for a few more weeks but I may switch back to the Givi for the short winter here. I like riding with the Givi all the way up in the winter time here when I exceed 60 mph. The lack of visual distortion makes the Givi a great winter windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I will continue to post more comments about the Clearview vs Givi on this thread. My plan is to leave the Clearview in place for a few more weeks but I may switch back to the Givi for the short winter here. I like riding with the Givi all the way up in the winter time here when I exceed 60 mph. The lack of visual distortion makes the Givi a great winter windshield.
You need to try the Madstad WS I have for sale. You are welcome to come over to my place, we can mount it and you can try it before you buy it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is my personal review of the Givi and Clearview Windshields for my '13 Burg 650. I own both of these windshields and have no affiliation with either company. I have no ax to grind with either company.

I purchased the Givi from Kiwi Dave on this board and I recommend him. I purchased the clearview from the company directly.

Let's begin with the products. The Givi is a big windshield with lots of hand protection. It is a tall windshield but tapers nicely at the top. The Givi has a high level of fit and finish. The thickness of the Givi is the same as the stock windshield. Shorter rides will not be able to see over the Givi even in the down position. If you are 5'9" or shorter you will most likely be looking through the Givi and not over it. At 5'11" and a 31" inseam I am able to see over the top of the Givi in the down position but just barely (If i slouch I can't see over it). There is MINIMAL distortion when looking through the Givi windshield so it isn't an issue if you prefer to look through it rather than over it.

The factory finish of the Givi is superb but the shipping process isn't so great. My Givi (Kiwi Dave replaced my first one which had the same issue) had some minor scratches. Givi needs to ship these windshields with a piece of cellophane over the surfaces (top and bottom) like Clearview does so this issue goes away.

I have had the Givi for 2 months now and really like the windshield. My biggest complaints are the following:

1. Lack of a vent or vent option
2. Mediocre packaging at the factory which means a few minor scratches
3. Mediocre Thickness of the acrylic/plastic which results in flexing at high speeds (similar to the stock shield but not quite as much flex)

I have the clearview (plus 3 inches) and Clear with Vent. If you are shorter than 5'9" I do not recommend this size screen as it will be too tall. The Clearview has a lot more distortion to your visual field so it is more important to be able to look over the Clearview rather than through it. I was disappointed by the distortion of the visual field as I had gotten used to the excellent Givi when looking through my windshield.

That said, the Clearview is MUCH thicker than the Givi in terms of the Acrylic/plastic. It looks and feels like 50% thicker than the Givi. Clearview didn't skimp here on material. The stability of the Clearview is superior at low and high speeds vs the Givi. This is a THICK windshield.

I was disappointed in the fit and finish of the Clearview. The one I got was 1/16" of inch taller on the left hand side (rider's left view mirror side) vs the right hand side. I could see a small, 1/32" Valley at the top as well. The Windshield looked as though it was cut in someone's garage and not at a factory. The top edge was smooth but the overall quality was less than Givi by a wide margin. The company did ship the product with due care and placed cellophane over over the windshield. There wasn't a scratch or blemish on it.

The Clearview windshield seems like about 1" shorter than the Givi. The shapes of the windshield are very different with the Clearview having more of a square cut at the top while the Givi is curved like the OEM windshield. I prefer the shape of the Givi over the Clearview. Hence, you can't just look at the specs when comparing windshield sizes as the Cleaview doesn't taper at the top as much as the Givi so it feels taller than its actual measurements.
I recommend no more than plus 1 or 2 inches for riders less than 5'9" if you buy the Clearview.

The Clearview Vent is a nice feature. It reduces backpressure at high speeds and is a major plus over the Givi. The biggest drawback to the Givi is the lack of a venting option.

The Givi is considerably cheaper than the Clearview. This may play a role in your decision. But, if you add the cost of an aftermaket Vent to the Givi the prices seem to match up closely.

My biggest complaints about the Clearview:

1. Poor factory finish of the windshield; Overall quality seemed like a home project.
2. Poor hand/wind protection vs the Givi
3. Square cut at the top rather than a taper like the Givi
4. Visual distortion when looking through the windshield

Overall, if I could choose only one aftermarket windshield I would pick the Givi with an aftemarket vent option. For shorter riders who prefer to look over their windshields the Clearview remains a solid pick.

PuigUSA said they will have a windshield available first part of 2015, they will be in the US from Spain around Feb, March.
That was a great review and I appreciated it. I have had PuigUSA windshields before and they are perfect fit and very high quality with no distortion. They build racing windshields and the scooter windshield is build same way and tested in wind tunnel as well. Price I found about same as Clearview but this is a huge factory in Spain that specializes in high quality racing windshields.
When released this would give Burgman riders a 3rd option.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the excellent reviews! I still think I will wait til spring for other opinions before deciding. Puig may be another possibility I was not aware of.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a few hundred miles with my Clearview Windshield I would like to add the following comments:

1. The Windshield is more stable at high speeds (85 mph plus) compared to the Givi. There is less flex in the acrylic.

2. The vent option is nice on warm days. We have had 70 degree plus weather here so the vent is a plus.

3. I like the fact that the Clearview is 1" lower in height which helps with airflow and visibility vs the Givi. The Givi is much easier to see through the shield vs the Clearview so it is important you can see OVER the Clearview.

4. Both Windshields are an improvement over the stock shield. I recommend either one vs the stock windshield. Taller riders can buy the Givi and shorter riders should buy the Clearview (you must be 5'10" or taller for the largest Clearview shield they offer otherwise buy the shorter Clearview version).

·
Registered
256 Posts
After a few hundred miles with my Clearview Windshield I would like to add the following comments:

1. The Windshield is more stable at high speeds (85 mph plus) compared to the Givi. There is less flex in the acrylic.

2. The vent option is nice on warm days. We have had 70 degree plus weather here so the vent is a plus.

3. I like the fact that the Clearview is 1" lower in height which helps with airflow and visibility vs the Givi. The Givi is much easier to see through the shield vs the Clearview so it is important you can see OVER the Clearview.

4. Both Windshields are an improvement over the stock shield. I recommend either one vs the stock windshield. Taller riders can buy the Givi and shorter riders should buy the Clearview (you must be 5'10" or taller for the largest Clearview shield they offer otherwise buy the shorter Clearview version).

Grateful for the review. I'm in the market to upgrade the windshield on my '14 and this has been extremely helpful. Mahalo, (thanks) Burgmanmaniac!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Shorter riders chop your Givi!
I was a fan of Clearview on my previous '07 but got tired of their lack of response to inquires about the release of their 2013 model... so I bought the Givi. The hand protection is a big plus, but only when the windscreen is in the down position. I have a friend who created a clip-on out of the material that's used on auto bras, that raises and lowers with the windscreen (great!).
My '07 was not an Exec. so I really needed the vent but don't miss it at all with the power windscreen, also some times I shoot (photos and vids) through the windscreen so the lack of a vent is a plus.
I personaly don't like the rounded top of the Givi and I'm 5'8" so I had it cut down.
I LOVE the massive look of the slightly chopped screen, it looks like a sail to me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1191/15134302036/in/set-72157634431933690
Most of my other add-ons are Givi, so I guess I'm a Givi fan all the way!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shorter riders chop your Givi!
I was a fan of Clearview on my previous '07 but got tired of their lack of response to inquires about the release of their 2013 model... so I bought the Givi. The hand protection is a big plus, but only when the windscreen is in the down position. I have a friend who created a clip-on out of the material that's used on auto bras, that raises and lowers with the windscreen (great!).
My '07 was not an Exec. so I really needed the vent but don't miss it at all with the power windscreen, also some times I shoot (photos and vids) through the windscreen so the lack of a vent is a plus.
I personaly don't like the rounded top of the Givi and I'm 5'8" so I had it cut down.
I LOVE the massive look of the slightly chopped screen, it looks like a sail to me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1191/15134302036/in/set-72157634431933690
Most of my other add-ons are Givi, so I guess I'm a Givi fan all the way!

Your Givi looks like the Clearview windshield. The Clearview lacks the hand protection of your Givi but has a vent option. I agree that if one has the skill to cut the Givi down to size (chop off 3" in your case) and add those pop up vents the choice is clear: Buy the Givi

However, many of us lack the skill to cut the Windshield and add a vent. Thus, if you are 5'8" tall I recommend the CLEARVIEW windshield at the stock size with a vent. The extra $100 the Clearview costs vs the Givi saves you the hassle of cutting the windshield and adding your own vent ($50).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Available Heights (Measured Vertically)
Small Height 17"(43cm)
Medium Height 18"(45.5cm)
Large Height 19"(48cm)
X-Large Height 20"(51cm)

The above are the listed heights for the Clearview. So, put your stock screen down and make sure you can see over the screen. The stock screen is 16.5" so you can decide whether to buy the small or medium height screen. Remember, the Clearview is THICK acrylic so you NEED to be able to see over it in the "fully down" position. This is crucial for this screen. Of course, when in the fully up position I look through the windshield but there is some mild visual distortion.

The GIVI has NO VISUAL DISTORTION (or very minimal) so being able to see over the screen isn't as important.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Product Description
Clearview Has been Handcrafting Replacement Windshields in The USA for over 28 Years
4 different Heights to choose from
Enhanced width provides Excellent coverage for both the Hands and Upper Body
All height options retain the ability to move up and down using stock adjusting mechanism
Available in Clear or Lt Gray
Premium High Impact Acrylic Blend Material Exceeds Industry & DOT Standards
UV Inhibitors Extend Shield Life & Provide Protection for the Dash and Operator Accessories
3/16″ (.187) Material is more Rigid than Stock Shield
UV Inhibitors Extend Shield Life & Provide Protection for the Dash and Acc.
Ready to Mount for Fast & Easy Installation
Full Installation Instructions Included
Contoured Shape and altered Angle of Slope for improved Air Flow & Shield Strength
Upper Recurve Similar to the stock screen pushes air up higher creating a larger Quieter Pocket
All new Well Nut Fasteners Included for Easy and Solid Mount
Shipped with a Protective Film that allows Installation and Testing (cosmetic Fascia can be left off during test drive.
Can be Polished, Buffed and is compatible with Rain-X Original Clear Formula
For Rider Reviews Visit Burgman USA Forum www.burgmanusa.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I like to look through the Windshield I got "clear." The Clearview already has visual distortion vs the Givi so I wouldn't want to add to that distortion by tinting it. But, if you plan on only looking over the Clearview the tint makes sense.

The Clearview hand protection isn't much better (? any better) than the stock shield. The Givi provides Excellent hand protection in the down position.

AT 5'11", 31" inseam I can see over the X-Large Clearview but the Large Size would have been fine as well. There really isn't that much difference in size for the X-large vs the Large (1" difference) but if you are concerned about your ability to see over the screen then buy the Large (5'9"-5'10"). Under 5'9" will likely be better off with the Medium or Small sized screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Distotion

The Clearview already has visual distortion vs the Givi so I wouldn't want to add to that distortion by tinting it.

Just wondering,why is there distortion, is this a problem they will fix in later shields? If Givi does not have distortion, why does "Clearview"? Their name says Clear not distorted view?

·
Registered
211 Posts
"I have a friend who created a clip-on out of the material that's used on auto bras, that raises and lowers with the windscreen (great!)."

Do you have a picture available of this set-up? That is my concern with my Givi - losing the wind protection on the hands when the screen is raised. Been trying to think up ideas on how to fix that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was looking for a magic bullet to keep my glasses from fogging and have rain slide off the windshield. I tried just about all the chemicals out there with marginal results. Then it hit me after reading this post. I cut down my GIVI windshield last night. I went for a ride and at 27 F, no fogging on my glasses! I also ride in the rain and expect I won't have the vision blockage I had before.
The cons - a bit more noisy at higher speeds. Its a matter of preference but I choose clear and safe vision for driving in the rain over a quieter ride.
If it helps, I'm 5'7" and took off 5 1/4 inches. The height feels right for me but I need to log in more time to be sure

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your Givi looks like the Clearview windshield. The Clearview lacks the hand protection of your Givi but has a vent option. I agree that if one has the skill to cut the Givi down to size (chop off 3" in your case) and add those pop up vents the choice is clear: Buy the Givi

However, many of us lack the skill to cut the Windshield and add a vent. Thus, if you are 5'8" tall I recommend the CLEARVIEW windshield at the stock size with a vent. The extra $100 the Clearview costs vs the Givi saves you the hassle of cutting the windshield and adding your own vent ($50).
I had a local plastic fabricator chop mine... $50 and for me anyway the vent isn't necessary with the power windscreen, and I never thought I would buy a windscreen without one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh something else I forgot to mention! My Clearview cracked horizontally across the windscreen starting at the top left mounting screw and spidering all the way across.
The exact same thing happened to two friends of mine starting at exactly the same place. This was after 50,000 mi or so, but I found it odd that the conditions were identical so I searched the forum and found other post describing the same crack in the same place.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts