Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Yesterday I finally got my givi mount. When I went to install it on my burgman 650, after I had mounted the base plate, and was looking at having to vut off the tabs on the trunk plate that the givi trunk would lock into, I decided that I really didn't need to use that, as I could just bolt the VIP trunk to the base plate, and all would be good.
That way, If in the furture I do decide to get a Givi trunk, I'll still have the working mount for it.
The trunk is on, and solid as a rock.
I did have to enlarge the holes a bit for the bolts that go into the bike, but not by much. Just enough so the bolts would line up and go in straight.
I just thought I'd share with the group this information.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks o' Wild One...

I too got my mount the other day. I was hoping that I might be able to alter the VIP to adapt to the GIVI mount. I was hoping to get some photos of a GIVI box to see how the mount and box fit together. But, in the end, I cut off the tabs on the GIVI mount so that it would sit flush to the bottom of th VIP box.

I take it that you used the bolts that came with the VIP box? did you use the rails as well? Were you able to figure out the wiring? I am going to look for smaller diameter bolts with large enoug heads so I don't have to drill out the holes on the mount.

gonna post some pics??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies, when I did the wireing, it never occured to me to document it. What I ended up doing , after a fialed attemp at figuring out the wireing, was to use a volt meter. I found the groud, then stuck the positive probe into each wire and tried the turn signals, brakes..etc. When I found out which one was which, I labeled them. I used the wire clips that allow you to just place it over the wires, and crip it shut.
Then, for the trunk. I used the bolts that came with the givi trunk, of which where too long. But I didn't want the bracket touching the bike and putting scratches on it, so I out rubber spacers between the bracket and the plastic. This took up the space of the bolts, so that they fit. I bolted the bracket to the bike. then I set the VIP trunk on the mount. Made sure it was back far enough so that the seat wouldn't hit it when opened. I found that the two oval holes in the trunk, closest to the back (lights) ligned up pewrfectly with the rear holes in the bracket. The other two holes, I took a short screw driver, and from under the mount, I came up through the holes and scribbed into the trunk for drilling holes. Drilled out the holes, and put in the other two screws. I di use the screws that came with the mount for mounting the trunk. Its on there, solid. No movement of any kind. This let me keep the top of the mount in perfect condition for future use if I ever do decide to get a givi trunk. I only ised the bottom part of the mount. I wired up the lights, and I was a happy camper. In my state, a cop friend of mine told me the flashing lights on the lightt bar are illegal, so I just wires the turn signals, and the light bar for the brakes. I liked the flashing lights going back and forth, but I decided I didn't want to chance getting a $65 ticket if I got stopped. I can take pics, If someone will enlighten me as to how to post pictures on here.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks Wilder,
so, you did not use the plastic half to the givi mount then? you mounted directely to the metal plate?

so, you don't recall the color of the wires you attached the case wires to?

I attached my VIP to the plastic part of the mount... but I may change out to only the metal part of the givi mount later on. I didn't have as much fun trying to get my case mounted in the right location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts