Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I purchased a Burgman 400 for my wife and installed a Givi V46 topcase on it over the weekend. It seems that on every little bump the backend has and annoying squeak. Upon closer review, it seems that some of the bodywork of the bike is rubbing together due to the extra added weight to the backrest area. Any ideas on how to stop this annoying sound? Sounds like old squeaky shocks. I was thinking of lubing the corners of the body panels with silicone. Any input would be appreciated. Never had this problem with the Reflex or Silver Wing.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope! It is installed perfectly. If I lift up and down on the case the squeak seems to be coming from where the right passenger grab rail meets the body on the rear end of it. I'll take it apart and see if I can add some tape or something to cushion it from rubbing. Thanks for the replies.

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

I was able to slightly separate the bodywork between the rear of the passenger grab rail and the backrest assembly and insert a thin plastic spacer on both sides of the backrest. The rubbing and squeaking is gone. Thanks for the spacer suggestion. Now I can ride my wife's burgman without sounding like I'm driving a garbage truck. ;) I'm more accustomed to riding the Silver Wing, but I think the Burgman 400 is a great little bike. It's perfect for my wife who didn't like the lack of power on the highway with the Reflex.

Thanks...

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
jeffjeff1959 said:
I was able to slightly separate the bodywork between the rear of the passenger grab rail and the backrest assembly and insert a thin plastic spacer on both sides of the backrest. The rubbing and squeaking is gone. Thanks for the spacer suggestion. Thanks...
You're quite welcome. Glad I could help. There's nothing I hate worse than an annoying squeak.

Dave B.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How interesting. After I added the Givi SR115 topcase mount onto my previous B400, I had exactly the same thing. Would happen whether the topcase was connected or not. Drove me nuts, never did figure out what the cause was but the problem went away when I sold the scooter a couple of weeks ago.

However, having purchased a new 2006 400, and having just put on a new SR115 topcase mount, I'm sure I'll have to put this good information to use.

Just so I understand, where the back of one of your rear pillion handles meets the Burgman's body, where it's bolted on next to the rear passenger seat -- that's where the body contact (and squeak) is coming from?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I disassembled the rear passenger seat back and did see where it was rubbing against the back top side of both rear pillion handles -- I snuck (sneaked?) two small round black peel-and-stick felt pads onto (over) the area which had been rubbing and re-assembled. After a couple of days now there's been no annoying squeaking sound.

After the felt pads get wet I'll probably have to replace with something different, but I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve for a more permanent solution.

I did originally purchased a couple of inexpensive small flat rubber washers, which even as flat as they are, are still too thick for the job, but I'll see what I can come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts