Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Givi mounting bracket specifically made for the Burgman? Do you need to drill into the bodywork to mount it, or does it simply screw on somewhere? I'm interested in the one for the motorcycle-type topboxes; can't remember if those are the monolock or monokey.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
GIVI has one just for the Burgman, and yes you do have to drill the rear fender/bumper. Only 3 holes, and they are premarked on the underside. You have to do that with the backrest also, fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ditto

I shopped long and hard before I bought our color-matched V46 topcase through AZ Motorsports. Can't beat their prices.

One word of caution - don't wait until just before you need the case to order it. Mine was back-ordered and took nearly a month to arrive.

That said, I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the case, mount, brake light and interior light. The quick detach (no wires to unplug) feature is a real plus. Also ordered and installed the passenger backrest pad which my wife loves.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
761 Posts
I too am contemplating the GIVI top pack. And was also curious about the back rest, if it makes a difference and how easy was its installation.

Sounds like you were impressed about HOW easy the GIVI's were to install.

Is the backrest just a bolt-on conversion to the GIVI or does it affix some other way?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
captainfish said:
Is the backrest just a bolt-on conversion to the GIVI or does it affix some other way?
Someone said that you drill holes & bolt it on. You may not need it. The trunk fits almost flush with the back of the seat. My wife likes the plain trunk fine as a backrest without the back pad. Some passengers like the pad, some don't.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I too am contemplating the GIVI top pack. And was also curious about the back rest, if it makes a difference and how easy was its installation.

Sounds like you were impressed about HOW easy the GIVI's were to install.

Caveat: GIVI instructions are not as good as they could be

Mounting the rack was pretty straightforward given that the 3 holes you have to drill out in the tail section were already there on my scooter since the OEM backrest was installed. (The rack uses the same mounting points.)

If you get the brake light option, its installation in the top box is a bit "fussy" - not difficult. (Lots of pices to remove and re-install.) Wiring the brake light to the bike can be tedious just because the scooter's wiring is not easy to expose.

The internal light option parts seems pretty flimsy at first but the finished result is very solid.

Installing the backrest requires you to drill 2 holes in the top box but the package comes with a paper template for use in aligning the holes. This is definitely the easiest part of the installation. For our purposes, the backrest was a "must-have" option.

I'll be writing a product review for upload soon.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any pictures or "better" instructions for installing the top box mount, and especially writing up the brake light?

I am eagerlly awaiting reciept of my E52 with built-in brake like and the mounting bracket, and would like to start poking around and see if I can find the appropriate wires, etc. I don't have a service manual, and a cursory glace at the "butt" of my AN650 looked like it was fairly easy to remove, although I have no idea what lies beneth, as I couldn't figure out how to remove the two plastic pins holding it on.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the pins should at least get me moving in the right direction!

Thanks!

Pat

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the install last night. Relatively easy, the hardest part was getting to home depot and ponying up $30 for a hole boring drill bit! The wire taps Givi supplies with the top box are very nice, and from the posts here I think getting the prewired topbox saved me some time. I ran the wire for the lights under the seat and into the space where the trunk latch goes. Probably not ideal, but I didn't want to drill another hole in the bodywork.

I am a little ticked that one of the keys for the box was all bent, but I assume Givi will take care of that.

Overall, a very nice upgrade, and about a 2-3 hour install if you really take your time. Next upgrade is the Baehr intercom! I already have my helmet wired, I just need to get the unit installed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts