Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Givi topcase on my 08 400 for over a year - and I love the practicality of it. I am a professional sports photographer and love using my scooter to get in and out of crowded parking lots at football games.

But - I have two issues with mine. It is the big E55 Maxia case at http://www.giviusa.com/cases-top-case/monokey/E55-MAXIA-3

First, the hinged supports on the side look as though they should have a detent that will help keep the lid from crashing down when open. As it is, when trying to load gear into the top case, the lid continually falls down and makes it hard to load as I have to use one hand to keep the lid open and try to load a heavy 300mm lens with the other hand. Anyone know of a way to "fix" the supports to provide some sort of detent?

Second - the monokey system works as advertised - very handy. However, I need two hands to squeeze the lid shut. Very inconvenient. Anyone know of a way to fix this problem so I can close the lid with one hand.

Thanx -

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you back up the pivot point and tap with a hammer it will tighten enough to stay open.
You could also experiment with pliers to make it tighter.
As for closing, I've found that if pressss in near the latch on the bottom half I can press down on the top with my other arm or elbow and it will latch.

Not a perfect "one handed" solution but the best I've come up with.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the E55 and my remote does not work.. I have given up trying to get it right..
If I take the E55 off, then put it back on, it works until I strat the engine, then it doesn't work.., It's a small conveniance and not worth the hassle of trying to fix..

Mine stays open when I open far enough.. but will crash down in a small breeze.. and yes I use two hands to close..

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Doug, I have the same two issues with my E55. On mine the screws on the hinged supports come loose. If I tighten the screws the lid will stay open for a while until the screws work loose again. No ideas on the hard to close. I had the brake light kit on mine and the springs in the electrical connectors made it harder to close. I removed them but the lid is still difficult to close.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Comanche said:
I've had a Givi topcase on my 08 400 for over a year - and I love the practicality of it. I am a professional sports photographer and love using my scooter to get in and out of crowded parking lots at football games.

But - I have two issues with mine. It is the big E55 Maxia case at http://www.giviusa.com/cases-top-case/monokey/E55-MAXIA-3

First, the hinged supports on the side look as though they should have a detent that will help keep the lid from crashing down when open. As it is, when trying to load gear into the top case, the lid continually falls down and makes it hard to load as I have to use one hand to keep the lid open and try to load a heavy 300mm lens with the other hand. Anyone know of a way to "fix" the supports to provide some sort of detent?

Second - the monokey system works as advertised - very handy. However, I need two hands to squeeze the lid shut. Very inconvenient. Anyone know of a way to fix this problem so I can close the lid with one hand.

Thanx -
I have the large size Coocase....and from time to time - the lid will not stay open for me, as well! As far as closing the case - Those are the instructions for closing it.....!!!!! hold the top & bottom and press together till they lock shut..!!!!! NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL....!! (Maybe for you!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ahhhh, another project idea ! Seems to me that it would be a simple matter to add a set of openers to your box similar to what holds our seats open. They are available in many sizes with all the necessary hardware and would solve your problem. Two of them would last forever.

As far as closing the box I think that the price of quality is what we have ended up with. I will say that I cleaned and lubed the latching mechanism and it closes and locks with one hand now.

I have the Givi E52 top box and love it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We'll definitely look into on Saturday. Sounds like a little tweeking will set it straight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have the 55 and have found that if I place the palm of my hand on the top half, just above the latch mechanism, then press forward and down, it will latch easily. You may have to experiment to find the correct angle for your box, but pressing straight down does not work.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
LOOK...........!!!!!!! Just forget all about the other crap and go buy one of these and be done with it............!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts