Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Givi screen for my AN400K5, and was wondering:

1. How long did it take you to get yours if you ordered one (twistedthrottle.com).

2. What is the difference in height from stock to Givi? I'm 5'10", and the stock shield isn't enough to keep bugs from hitting my helmet faceshield. Should I expect full coverage?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Keep in mind that looking through a windscreen can be more annoying than bugs hitting your faceshield. Especially on rainy days. That's one reason I didn't pay extra to get the '05 Executive with the electric screen.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep in mind that looking through a windscreen can be more annoying than bugs hitting your faceshield. Especially on rainy days. That's one reason I didn't pay extra to get the '05 Executive with the electric screen.
Understood. I just prefer that inconvenience to that of having to upgrade my helmet to something quieter and a new faceshield.
I don't mind washing the windshield off, but I agree, the rain might be an issue.
I'll always have the option of going back to the original, of course.
I read that the height of the Givi is 33". What is the height of the stock shield?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm also 5' 10", with a 400 and a Givi. It protects me very well, and best of all eliminates the wind blast almost entirely. Rain-riding _is_ a major headache, however, especially since the Givi design creates a sort of air-pocket on the front of the windscreen where the raindrops simply collect and dance. I find the situation tolerable in daylight, but I ride mostly at night. Then, headlights and streetlights illuminate these "stucK" raindrops, rendering good vision almost impossible. Therefore, I'm eagerly awaiting the Clearview, which I hope will do better. :)

In short, the Givi pretty much works as advertised. However, Twinrider is also correct regarding the rain issues. I like mine better than the stock screen, but beleive that something much better should be available. Since I bought mine from Arizona Motorsports, I can't help regarding delivery times.

Hope you're happy with the Givi!

·
Registered
520 Posts
To have it to do over again, I would have tried the Laminar Lip. I tried 2 sizes of Clearview, including all the way up to looking THROUGH the glass. No wind except in my ears. Absoutely deafening. NEVER stopped. The Laminar Lip is UGLY, but I understand it stops the noise, period?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No wind except in my ears. Absoutely deafening. NEVER stopped

Speaking of which, I use those little foam earplugs on longer rides. Anyone with alternates? This is getting expensive.
I know a good helmet might help, but anything under $150?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Darcy said:
Understood. I just prefer that inconvenience to that of having to upgrade my helmet to something quieter and a new faceshield.
I don't mind washing the windshield off, but I agree, the rain might be an issue.
Earplugs make an amazing difference, and are MUCH cheaper than a new helmet :lol: I really like the green ones in the foreground of this piccie.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Rain-X quickly ruins a plastic windscreen, unless you use the hard-to-find (for me at least) marine type. In my case, I found a Rain-X-like product designed for use on aircraft plexiglass, and applied it per instructions.

It merely made the wind-trapped raindrops dance faster. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Motorcycle/scooter windshields are quite different from those in autos
in that you should be looking OVER your bike windshield, and not
THROUGH it. You can have quite significant distortion if you look through the plastic, especially in the rain or at night. The principle function of the windscreen is to improve airflow over your helmet. With the windscreen
at the right height, you should have smooth (laminar) airflow over the
bike and your helmet.

The top of the windshield should be maybe 2" below your
eyes, maybe a bit more, so you can see down and straight ahead without
looking through the plastic. The top is measured with the rider in the
usual riding position, which varies from one bike to another and from one rider to another.

At least for the 650, the Givi is way too high for most riders, and acts as
an air brake. However, many bike dealers and any plexiglass shop can
easily cut it down to the appropriate height for a few dollars. Just remember the obvious - you can always have the windshield cut down some more, but you can't have it lengthened.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered my Givi backrest and windshield thru twisted throttle. I got them in about 4 business days. You can check your order online to see how it is traveling thru UPS.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Darcy,

Don't forget the push in the back you " will " get from the large screen ...

Mine freezes your neck & shoulder area ... takes the cold from your front to your back :cry:

Haven't yet looked at injecting more air flow into the front of the screen (dash side) via the OEM vent above headlight assembly ... because of the rain issue ... may be cutting it shorter myself :)

Greg ...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will keep you all posted on my experiences.

Does anyone have a link to pics/walkthrough on how to switch the stock screen to Givi? It looks basic, but I'd really like a walkthrough.

Does the Givi come with sufficient instructions?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Windshield Removal and Replacement

The procedure for removing the windshield is fully outlined in the service
manual with nmerous photographs. Replacement with the Givi is
simply the reverse of removal, obviously.

And if you don't have the service manual, get one. Best investment
you can possibly make if you own a Burgman, or any other bike for that matter.

Photographs on a computer screen somewhere in your house are totally useless when you are working on your bike in your garage and trying to figure out what you do next. This is not a problem when you have made copies of the procedure from the manual and have them beside you on the garage floor. (You make copies so your greasy fingers and engine oil damage the copies, not the manual.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Givi Windshield Instructions

>Does the Givi come with sufficient instructions?

The Givi comes with no instructions whatever. Which makes sense,
since the only possible instructions might be as follows :

1. Remove stock windshield.
2. Replace with Givi windshield.

The Givi does come with caution stickers about not using anything
except water to clean it, and a warning about possible damage to
the bike that might result from conentration of sunlight on bike parts.
(Presumably you are to avoid bright sun when parking a Givi equipped
bike.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts