Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just one size on these? Where does everyone get them from?
Is replacement easy to do? Since it has the sides, I'm assuming I wouldn't need to purchse the hand guards then or would they still be needed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I beleive there is only one size. They call it "replacement windshield". I got mine from Arizona Motorsports. http://store.azmusa.com/gisubu400rew.html
pretty easy to do. Someone has done a very informative walk-through somewhere on this site. And as far as the hand guards, the windscreen does a great job of covering the hands. And even if you wanted the guards, I have read the they would hit on the windshield when turning. The levers hit on the new windshield as it is if you crank the steering all the way to one side or the other. Brett

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pinwheel wrote.
Is it just one size on these? Where does everyone get them from?
Is replacement easy to do? Since it has the sides, I'm assuming I wouldn't need to purchse the hand guards then or would they still be needed?
Wild guess here, you talking about the windshield ?
Do a web search for Givi, lots of places, or your local dealer.
Replacement is easy -instructions latter -
I find it protects my hands from the cold & the bugs very nicely, see no reason for guards.
One size only -if you can not get use to looking through -it can be cut down with an elect.saw.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Nancy, Got my GIVI screen from RL Motorcycles at http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Access ... creens.htm (I'd paste this as a link if I knew how) on sale for $111.14 and shipping was reasonable. It's a tall screen all the same height I think, and I cut it down using masking tape, a constuction paper homemade pattern, dry erase pen, and a Rotozip power tool to do the cutting very carefully. Don't forget safety goggles. Install the screen and test drive, you will be looking through the screen and probably not over it unless you are at least 6' 7" tall or so. If you don't like scootering looking through the screen, draw a few lines of different colors at eye level to the horizon and below and test drive again to determine your cut height and get busy. I am 5' 9" and cut off about 3" the first time. My second cut was about 3/8" and seems to be about right. My top is cut 'flatter' than the original so if needed I can round it off later. If you need practice cutting with the saw, do it on the top inch or so, the Rotozip is pretty efficient and you must be careful not to let it cut below your intended line. A belt sander worked good for me for the initial working down the rough cut and will use an appropriate grit and sanding block to finish the job.
I still get some wind buffeting but much better than the original screen. My hands appreciate the wings but I've only ridden in temps down to about 38f so far. I think a person can buy this screen for the price of hand guards. I'm very pleased with the screen. It has made a most enjoyable ride even better. Neal

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea Randy, windshield. Hey, I knew what I was talking about.
LOL

I guess I would have to cut is down since I'm only 5'7" and I hate looking through a shield. I'm debating on the windshield or that clip on Lip thing, for the life of me I can't remember the name. It something like Lamair or something. It's late and I'm tired.... The add on lip deal and the hand guards or just a Givi windshield.

I dunno. I'll think more about it tonight.
Thanks for the responses...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hand Guards

som2002 said:
And even if you wanted the guards, I have read the they would hit on the windshield when turning. The levers hit on the new windshield as it is if you crank the steering all the way to one side or the other. Brett
Are you saying that the hand guards would hit the Givi screen or would they hit the stock windscreen?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Nancy, at your height, you would need to cut off the W/S, if you do not want to look thru it. The the lip and hand guards would work. I had a lip on my 400 and it worked well. The only difference in the GIVI W/S vs the lip+handguard combo, would be the air that comes around the sides of the W/S and hits your body.

What do you want to accomplish with the GIVI W/S or lip+handguards combo?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Hand Guards

swstiles said:
som2002 said:
And even if you wanted the guards, I have read the they would hit on the windshield when turning. The levers hit on the new windshield as it is if you crank the steering all the way to one side or the other. Brett
Are you saying that the hand guards would hit the Givi screen or would they hit the stock windscreen?
They'd hit the Givi screen for sure, don't know about the stock,probably not because it doesn't cover the hand area like the Givi. See someones post in the "Newbie Questions" area asking about a 650 w/ guards hitting like the ones on his friends 400 does.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Main thing I am trying to do is to get the wind off of my hands and the stock winshield only needs to be 1 - 2 inches taller--any taller I'd be looking through it.

It would be cheaper to get just the windshield but I want to make sure that my hands don't get too cold with just the windshield especailly if I can't add the hand guards later.

The only thing bothering me the last 3 rides has been my numb hands.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pinwheel.
Get the windshield, it is all you will need -As I get older the cold bothers my hands more & more -on my BMW with winter gloves my hands are cold, on the scooter at the same temp. light cotton gloves do it. you should not need the "lip" or hand guards.
Besides, 90 percent of your riding time will not be in the cold :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy said:
**snipped** Besides, 90 percent of your riding time will not be in the cold :)
Yeah that's true. But the past few weekends, my hands have been numb. Hope it keeps those nasty black bugs off as well in May/September.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nancy,
Today is already over 78 here and over 64 up by you I guess. :)
Yes the givi does a very good job of keeping the bugs off your hands & also off your body.
One draw back (I guess you know) is you will lose about 3 or 4 MPG.but that will happen with almost anything you add to a scooter.
One unexpected benefit is the scoot seems to handle better in the winds we have down here, I don't really understand this because it should be the opposite but the scoot just feels more stable. 8)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd gladly give up 3-4 mpg in order to keep my hands from freezing. If it works better with the wind too, that would be an added bonus.
Guess I need to add it to the budget and find a way to tell Billy after I order it. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Nancy
You cannot use the fixed handguards and the Givi - period.
If that bothers you and you want additional hand protection - try the handlebar muffs - they are brilliant! But you need to be confident you instinctively (almost in an intimate fashion :wink: ) know the switchgear on your bike - cos you cannot see the switches once fitted.
On your side of the pond I believe the Clearview outfit may offer other windshield options.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
On your side of the pond I believe the Clearview outfit may offer other windshield options.
Not yet Norman... but they're getting there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Nancy, I'm with you. The only thing that is cold on my body are my fingertips. So I will also be going through the same thing you are. I'm waiting for my corbin seat to see if that will make a difference. Also remember that Clearview with be coming out with 3 different size screens for the 400 come April, so you may want to wait and see what they have to offer.

Evelyn

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It all depends on price and appearance. It will be April before I can order one anyhow.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks to the link posted a few messages above, I ordered a Givi for my 400 last night. This is the best price I've ever seen, and I've been tracking it for six months. Thanks! I've waited for Clearview long enough. Who knows how much longer it will be, if they have developmental problems?

I've found different claimed measurements for the Givi; based on some experiments with a friend holding a yardstick I may or may not have to cut it down in order to see over it depending on which measurements are correct. (I am 5' 10" tall, and have a Corbin seat.) First, however, I'm going to try and use Rain-X on it. Yes, I'm well aware that eventually Rain-X will ruin my windshield. The key word here, however, is _eventually_. At $120 a pop, I can afford to buy a new one every couple years; indeed, I suspect it will be easier and cheaper than paying someone to cut it down. (I'm much too klutzy to do that myself and have it come out at all decent.)

My only big fear is that the lamnar-flow effect might make Rain-X useless. Now _that_ would suck! But the only way to know is to try, I suppose...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts