Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Givi E55 Top Case from an eBay dealer who is a US dealer for Givi. It's the big deluxe case that has stop lights and remote entry. The case arrives, looks nice and I install it using the Suzuki factory base plate. Although I probably could have made the electrical connection on the bottom of the case work with the base plate, I decided to use a separate electrical connector that must be separated so the case can be removed. For me this isn't a problem as the case will be attached 99.999999% of the time and in the past when I've used the Givi type connector on other Givi cases I've had problems. So this solution worked well for me and it only requires an additional 3 seconds to remove the case.

Anyway, I get it all wired up and all seems well. The case is nice and solid using the factory base plate, the stop lights work and the remote works to unlock the case and pop the lid ajar. I'm off to work taking the Burg with it's new top case. I get to work and show the guys the case and the neat little remote and how it pops open the case with just a push of the remote button. After work I try to open the case using the remote and it doesn't work, WTF! Luckily I keep a spare case key on the bike and I'm able to open the case and load my stuff into it. I notice the remote LED no longer lights up when the button is pushed. I think maybe the battery died. I get home remove the battery, stick it back in and now the remote works fine, the LED blinks when the button is pushed and it pops open the case lid. That's odd me thinks, I go off to work bringing the remote. All works well until its time to go home. Once again the remote is nothing more than a paperweight, no LED blinking light when the button is pushed and no lid popping open on the case. I get home take out the battery put it back in and the remote works again. I go to the store and get a new battery, put it into the remote it acts like it should until I get to work, hit the button and once again the remote is a lifeless hunk of crap. I start to curse wishing a terrible pox upon all those connected with the design and manufacture of this piece of junk.

After getting home I contact Givi USA by phone. I explain the problem with the remote which they claim they have not heard before. I do give Givi USA high marks for customer service, once I emailed them a copy of the receipt, luckily the eBay seller was an authorized Givi retailer, Givi USA sent me a new complete remote kit even though all I needed was the new remote. I programed the new remote to the electrical unit that's mounted in the case and now it works as it should.

Now would I recommend getting this remote option for these Givi cases? I would not. And it's not because of my problem with the original remote but rather in the design of the button on the remote itself. It is just to easy for the button to be pushed on the remote while it's in your pocket and popping the trunk open and having your stuff end up on the road. Something should have been either built into the case so it knows the bike is running and prevents the case from being opened or the button on the remote needs to be recessed into the remote body making it much harder to accidentally being pushed in while it's in your pocket.

I really like the way the remote was designed for my Coocase, the buttons were really recessed and there was little chance of it the case being unlocked, and even if it was unlocked the lid on the case was still latched down until you pushed a button on the case itself which popped it open. The Coocase also had a nice feature that if you hit the remote and didn't open the case it relocked automatically after 20 seconds or so.

Givi needs to take a lesson from these guys on how to do the remote thing. Until then I would suggest if you decide to get one of these big Givi cases, and the case itself is very nice, get it without the remote option. They make the same case in a few configurations, basic, with brake lights and foam liner or how I got mine with the brake lights and remote. If I was going to do it over I would have bought the foam liner and brake lights model.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have both the Givi E21 and the Givi E45 side cases for my bikes. Because of my experience with my side cases I bought a Bestem top case. The Bestem case I bought (the T-box 929 with the foam liner and the lights) cost a lot less than the top boxes from Givi. Mine looks nice and appears to be just as high quality to me as the Givi stuff I own. Just my opinion.

Oh, I have a question. What kind of electrical connector did you use?

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they call them a molex connector. It's white, plastic, and I got it from radio shack.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have an E 55.. I have given up completely on the remote.. If I remove the case..and then put it back in.. the remote works well.. If I put the case on, and start the my AN650, and then turn it off.. The remote does not work.. I called Givi with my issue.. they said that "maybe" the ground should not have been to the frame, but to the battery? I had a dealer install mine and they did it exactly to the Givi directions.. It isn't worth it to me to re wire the entire thing on a "maybe"..
Me thinks the Givi remote system is pretty poor.. it shouldn't be so buggy.. so I got over it.. and moved on.. the brakelights work fine.. and I use my key.. FWIW.. I have the Givi mounting plate and it is not an installation that deviates from the norm at all.. it's a mystery..:confused:.. seems that if the case has power.. it should work... but it doesn't..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think they call them a molex connector. It's white, plastic, and I got it from radio shack.
Thank you for the information. Waterproof/resistant? I used a trailer hookup connector (5 wire) on my V=Strom as I was looking for a water resistant connection. I was hoping for a smaller connector for the Burgman.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can be made water resistant by squirting some dielectric grease into the connector.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Agree with the Admore lights. Put them in my Givi 55 topcase. Not only function as running lights, but also brakes and turn signals.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Question:
w/ the e55 case mounted and with it empty, does it rattle or can hear it ratttling when riding over bumps , rough roads?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Question:
w/ the e55 case mounted and with it empty, does it rattle or can hear it ratttling when riding over bumps , rough roads?
Just put mine on a couple weeks ago. I used the Givi mounting plate. Absolutely solid! No rattles!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
jedd, I've heard some people with rattles and some without. Most don't rattle but if it does placing some thin rubber between the box and the plate will solve the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts