Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, picked up my new 2013 400 last week. I have already installed a Givi Airflow windshield. I love the reduced wind noise a buffeting! However, I can't see over it, best guess it's about 2 inches too tall. Has anyone modified one to make it lower? If so, how and how did it affect the performance? I appreciate all the info in this forum...has really helped me already and I've only been reading it for two weeks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if you set it in the lowest position, does it still bother you?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have the Airflow model it's already adjustable. Do you mean even at it's lowest setting it's still too high, or, do you have the regular Givi which is not adjustable?

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never participated in forums and so not sure exactly how to send posts. I just sent one, but I'm not seeing it so this may be a repeat...I'm going to hit a differnt button. The airflownis an aftermarket windshield and yes even at it's lowest setting it is still too high. I'm 5'1" with an apparently short trunk. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you tried the airflow without the adjustable top part? Some here prefer that for hot summer days, so, it may be a good option for you.

Some on this forum have cut down their windscreens. I would take it to a glass shop and have them cut down the top part. I have the AirFlow also and I would hate to lose the flexibility. I can envision wanting to look through the glass sometimes. Having the top cut down would be my choice.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did try it without the spoiler and I could see over it well, but then I didn't have the full benefit of the wind being pushed up and over me. Since there is a formed edge on the spoiler I am a bit anxious about cutting it as I might lose some of it's rigidity (would this actually be detrimental or am I way out there on this?) I was thinking of maybe drilling into the sheild and moving the brackets down and filling the holes with rubber plugs. I don't know how this would affect it's performance, hence my query about whether anyone has done this before.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was thinking of maybe drilling into the sheild and moving the brackets down and filling the holes with rubber plugs. I don't know how this would affect it's performance, hence my query about whether anyone has done this before.
Good idea! Sounds like something I might try. You might want to call the company to see if there's something we're not thinking of.

By the way, I'm very pleased with mine. It made a world of difference in comfort of ride. I was particularly surprised with the increase in stability.

I know you'll you'll like yours when you get the bugs worked out.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already experienced the benefits you describe so am sticking with it whether I have to live with viewing through the spoiler or not. Good suggestion about contacting Givi, think I'll try that before I do anything "drastic". Thanks.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How much to high is it? You could try a seat cushion. Walmart has one for around $20 a lot of people like, Airhawk makes a good cushion and there's also beads. I have all three and when I travel on long rides I take all three and switch around. The beads stay on most of the time and sometimes I just put the Airhawk or the Walmart cushion on top of the beads.
And you will already have a cushion when you go on a long ride and realize the the stock seat can get uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I was thinking of maybe drilling into the sheild and moving the brackets down and filling the holes with rubber plugs. I don't know how this would affect it's performance, hence my query about whether anyone has done this before.
I have a two piece WS on my F6B, the maker of the WS stated that it works best with the top/sliding part of the WS is low as possible in relation the bottom/fixed part of the WS. It pushes the air higher. This maybe the case if you moved the sliding brackets on the movable part of the WS. Be sure to check for clearance between the two WS pieces before you drill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of cushion from Walmart? I might try it, though that will put me up so that it will be hard to get my feet on the ground. Great when riding, not so much when I have to stop. :)
The brackets on the Givi WS are on the fixed portion of the WS. Good to know the theory that it should work even better if I move it down (if there is clearance--didn't think about that). Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
JMac, I've tried looking online without much success. If you can go in Walmart and look in the outdoor-sports and car accessories you may find it in the store. I wish I could find it online so I could show you a picture. I tried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
does the 266dt-screen blade model keep hands warm in the winter? it looks like it has built in hand guards.

·
Registered
352 Posts
windshield

I bought a 2007 Burgman 650 last year (2013) and it came with a Givi windshield installed and the stock one in a box all wrapped up. Like you, the Givi was nice and quiet, but my morning ride involves cresting lots of hills coming directly into the sun. When fog settled on the top few inches, I was blind when the sun hit me directly head-on. I actually had to stand up partway to see ahead of the bike. Not good.

I put the stock back on to try it. Much better visibility, but noisy. Hmmm...

So I took off the stock windshield and laid it over the Givi, moving it up to about 2-1/2 inches from the top of the Givi. Then, I took a washable marker and traced the outline onto the Givi. I took it to a local glass shop I had called earlier (to see if they cut plexiglass) and they cut off the top piece. Like Goldilocks, this one was just right. I can see over it but it's quieter than the stock. It was going to cost me $15, but when the guy saw my Retired US Air Force plate, he said "Free. Thanks for your service." :p

BTW - I don't know too much about this, but I did read that you need to let someone who REALLY knows what they are doing do this. If you just try to jig-saw it, you can really damage the shield.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
abh3, yes the 266DT and the AF266 both have wings that help keep the wind of your hands. I can't say it "keep hands warm in the winter" but it makes it easier for your gloves to keep your hands warm.

JMac, he has a 650 and I don't believe Givi makes the Airflow for the 650. All I could find was the D257ST one piece.

BurgPnoMan, glad you got your windshield "just right". I feel safer looking over not through it.
And I would also like to thank you for your service.:hello1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts