Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following posts on this site, I went ahead and purchased a Givi 263 Windshield for my Burgman 650 Exec. It improved the wind buffeting up to 50-55 mph but it is worse than the stock windshield at higher than 50-55 mph! Since I drive on the highway at 65+, this shield has been a total waste of money!

It stops wind frontal buffeting but spreads the buffeting to the sides of the head. So when you ride at 70MPH, you feel like there is someone slapping the side of your head! On both sides of the head!

I contacted Givi and their answer was as incongruous as a politicians lie. Stuff like "I don't know", "at burgmanusa.com, they say that it work ok", etc..

I also purchased the product from http://cli-maxridinggear.com/ and they refuse to accept the return. Even though I've only used this product for a few days. When I contacted them for the return, the reply was:
"Here at Cli-Max, we only sell the best new/unused products to always ensure the best quality. Unfortunately, this means we are not able to accept installed or used items for return. "

If you are driving below 50mph, the givi is ok. Anything above it, feel like someone is abusing you while driving. What a piece of junk equipment this is.

I'm going to try ClearView windshields and get back on this forum with a review of it.

One thing I've seen on this forum is that some of the reviews of products tend to be outright dishonest and false. Come on, please provide true evaluation of products so that riders (like me) don't get cheated by equipment that does not work as advertised.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Please keep us informed as to what works best for you. I have read both positive and negative comments regarding the Givi shield and like the price of them as compared to the Clearview. But if it sucks then it sucks and I may have to stay with the OEM shield for a while longer. Pity, because the Idaho winters can be very cold.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Following posts on this site, I went ahead and purchased a Givi 263 Windshield for my Burgman 650 Exec. It improved the wind buffeting up to 50-55 mph but it is worse than the stock windshield at higher than 50-55 mph! Since I drive on the highway at 65+, this shield has been a total waste of money!

It stops wind frontal buffeting but spreads the buffeting to the sides of the head. So when you ride at 70MPH, you feel like there is someone slapping the side of your head! On both sides of the head!

I contacted Givi and their answer was as incongruous as a politicians lie. Stuff like "I don't know", "at burgmanusa.com, they say that it work ok", etc..

I also purchased the product from http://cli-maxridinggear.com/ and they refuse to accept the return. Even though I've only used this product for a few days. When I contacted them for the return, the reply was:
"Here at Cli-Max, we only sell the best new/unused products to always ensure the best quality. Unfortunately, this means we are not able to accept installed or used items for return. "

If you are driving below 50mph, the givi is ok. Anything above it, feel like someone is abusing you while driving. What a piece of junk equipment this is.

I'm going to try ClearView windshields and get back on this forum with a review of it.

One thing I've seen on this forum is that some of the reviews of products tend to be outright dishonest and false. Come on, please provide true evaluation of products so that riders (like me) don't get cheated by equipment that does not work as advertised.
The GIVI WS works fine for me. Sorry it did not work out for you, but I think your last comment was uncalled for.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I' glad the windshield worked for you.

I am just reporting what I've found. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I take my Burgman on the highway there, on 280 and so on. With the GIvi, I feel like somebody has been hitting my head and when my passenger comes off, he/she looks like they've been through a boxing match. Not the result that I was expecting when I purchased this windshield.

In addition, when I get to 65+, the givi bends and lets wind gusts through. The effect on the passenger is even worse. They feel like whiplash.

The nice part of this is that I have a 650 Exec and I can change the height of the windshield. So I experiment with it. So there is no possibility of a "your windshield is to high".

Also, I'm a Silicon Valley geek and very passionate about things. I followed the advise from folks that say the Givi Windshield is "Awesome" or "it is just fine" when that means to arrive at your destination as if you have been through a punching match. Nope, I am looking for a solution here.......

I've just ordered the ClearView windshield and I'll report on it when I get it next week.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
In addition, when I get to 65+, the givi bends and lets wind gusts through. The effect on the passenger is even worse. They feel like whiplash.

The nice part of this is that I have a 650 Exec and I can change the height of the windshield. So I experiment with it. So there is no possibility of a "your windshield is to high".
I believe you will find that the bending back of the WS is the result of flex in the adjustable WS mechanism. If you put the WS in the full down or full up position, it reduces the bending backward. You can check it out by pulling the WS back at the top in different height positions.

I really like the adjustable WS. I adjust my WS a lot depending on riding conditions or my mood. It is one of my favorite features on the Exec.

Did you get a vent in your Clearview? Many 650 owners have commented that it helps with back pressure and buffeting. I found on a Goldwing I recently owned that opening the vent one notch reduced the buffeting.

I see you are new to BUSA, welcome to BUSA.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You know, I have never felt that I have read a dishonest review here on BUSA. I always try to remember that what works for one rider might not work for me. We are all different and have different body shapes and different tastes. So when I read about someone's experience with something on their bike, I think about if it will work for me before I buy. For instance, I am thinking about getting my seat redone by a member here who makes nice seats. I have decided that I will hold off on the purchase until I can get to where he lives so I can try one out. Will probably wait until spring or early summer to do this.

As a new member here, you are not making friends with your accusation. This may not matter to you but for me it was important. I felt that I may run into a problem that I couldn't solve myself but others here might have experience with. It makes things easier when you have friends that can help. Even if they live across the globe from you they may have knowledge that you lack.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
I do not have an EXEC so my view is a bit different. I bought my GIVI for this bike after figuring out that the stock unit was worthless to me. I installed it just like it was designed and found out that it was so much better at 50 MPH and lower. But the helmut buffeting was worst at 60+. So I shimmed the bottom out by placing two washers under the plastic frame that the screen bolts to. That helped some but when I cut 2 3/4 inches off the top is when I gained the best effect. I cut that much off so I could look over the screen in the heavy rain/fog. The + was less buffeting up in the higher speeds.

On the claim of members giving false or bad reviews, that is your view and not the view of most of us here. Yes we have some sly and crafty members on here but if they get the rep of being a lair or a cheat they don't last. If a member starts to bash or threaten others, the Mod's deal with it QUICK.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fact: The Givi Windshield for the Burgman 650 Exec moves wind buffeting to the side in such way that when when driving, it feels as if someone is at the front beating the side of your head. So at 55+mph, you'll get abused. I tried lowering the screen with exactly if not worse results. It is like the design with the fancy bubble for the handles causes some sort of cavitation and vacuum effect that just make the ride really uncomfortable at speed faster than 55.

ANY claim to the contrary is FALSE. So when I read "Aahh, my Givi screen works just fine" is plainly incorrect, false, misleading and ultimately dishonest. It made me make the worst investment on my motorcycle. I am not trying to make enemies here, but please, you cannot state that this windshield makes the ride better at higher speeds when it does not. As far as I'm concerned, the Givi windshield should by banned in the US.

I do not want to cut, trim, expand, or modify the Givi windshield. If I wanted to do that, I'd stuck with the stock windshield and made the modifications there.

I am now waiting for the ClearView windshield and I'll post my findings when I've installed it. I will be taking video of both rides and then post it on YouTube. Then you can decide.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The "ear" on the left side of my Givi shield broke off when I crashed in 2011, and was replaced along with the damaged tupperware.
I decided to experiment with the broken shield, and cut off the top 3" and cut 2 2" dia holes at the bottom of the screen, to allow air in to fill the vacuum behind the screen.
It worked so good that I never use the new screen.
The buffeting is greatly reduced and the fuel mileage is improved by at least 10%, from 18 km per liter to 20 km per liter.
IMHO the tall Givi is designed for maximum protection at speeds less than 60 MPH

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Well I fitted one and found it fine apart from the vacuum created behind the screen which pulled me towards it at speeds of around 60mph. I cured that by fitting an air balance vent. I can honestly say that I have no buffeting and on European trips I regularly ride at around the 100mph mark for hours on end with no problems. The screen is so efficient I have to RAISE it in hot weather to let some cool air onto my hands - it was that efficient! On my first trip to hotter climes I really suffered with the lack of breeze to my body so on my subsequent trips I invested in a mesh jacket and gloves.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I sit slightly higher on mt seat (approx 1") since I had a gel insert incorporated into the seat.

I fitted one of these: http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Accessories/Air-Balance-Windshield-Vent-Kit.aspx

Believe me, if it was crap I'd say so!

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
This is the last I will respond to this but the quote below is just YOUR OPINION and not that of the majorty of us GIVI users. Is it purfect right out of the box??? NO. But some of us find it better that the OEM junker and also some of us have found "work arounds" by doing mod's to it. I not think of you as an enemie, I just think your going a bit too far in your accusations that we would lie. I know of only one member on here that makes money off a GIVI sale, only if you order it from KiwiDave.

If you want, send it to me and I will put it to use.

<<<SNIPPED>>>ANY claim to the contrary is FALSE. So when I read "Aahh, my Givi screen works just fine" is plainly incorrect, false, misleading and ultimately dishonest. It made me make the worst investment on my motorcycle. I am not trying to make enemies here, but please, you cannot state that this windshield makes the ride better at higher speeds when it does not. As far as I'm concerned, the Givi windshield should by banned in the US.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me have GIVI windscreen 4-5 year on previous 650 and have very much different experience than twiman, excellent product, me was extremely please and satisfy with this windscreen fantastic protection in cooler weather as well. Me know better so take OP comment with grain of salt.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With the stock screen, I experienced ALL of the problems you report to have with the Givi 263.

I now have a Givi D257ST on mine. Cured all of my problems. I occasionally experience the back-draft problem others report but, it seems based on the wind direction and weather conditions and is not a constant.

Not all others have the same to report.

There are many variables to take into account. Your riding height, how close to the screen you sit, whether all the bolts are seated correctly or if you have shimmed it, the combine weight of rider(s) & cargo, even the settings on your rear shocks can effect the attack angle of the screen and cause undesired performance, etc...

From the sounds of things, the Givi may not work for you. On the same track, the Clearview may not either.
You may want to look at a Madstad windscreen.

I only went for a Givi instead of a Madstad because my local shop had a used Givi in stock, would sell it cheap and would take it back if I did not like it. I liked it.

http://www.madstad.com/

They do not have the Burgman listed but, they do have them.

Kim

PS I do not have any affiliation with Madstad Engineering. I have exchanged several E-Mails with them and have seen their products in use on other bikes and was VERY impressed.

Usual disclaimer: I am an unknown entity on the internet. For all you know, I am dumber than a bag of hammers. I take no responsibility for my own actions. To follow any of my advice is sheer folly on your part. Offer void in Wisconsin. Batteries not included. If death occurs while using this product, discontinue use immediately and consult with your physician. I am not a village idiot, but I play one on TV. Some settling might occur during shipping. No user serviceable parts inside. No reproduction or rebroadcast of this message without written permission from Major League Baseball. Your mileage may vary. Do not point at face when lighting. Open slowly. Do not exceed 3600 RPMs. WARNING! Do not look into LASER with remaining eye.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
<<<SNIP>>>
Kim

Usual disclaimer: I am an unknown entity on the internet. For all you know, I am dumber than a bag of hammers. I take no responsibility for my own actions. To follow any of my advice is sheer folly on your part. Offer void in Wisconsin. Batteries not included. If death occurs while using this product, discontinue use immediately and consult with your physician. I am not a village idiot, but I play one on TV. Some settling might occur during shipping. No user serviceable parts inside. No reproduction or rebroadcast of this message without written permission from Major League Baseball. Your mileage may vary. Do not point at face when lighting. Open slowly. Do not exceed 3600 RPMs. WARNING! Do not look into LASER with remaining eye.
^^^ That is funny.

To the OP, Please do not take my posts above wrong. You are a welcome member and you opinion is valued. Not everyone likes everyone elses opinion and I am sure others have viewed (some of) my opinions as cat crap. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dave J.

"^^^ That is funny."

Yeah, I won't Hijack the thread but, there is one heck of a story behind my "disclaimer".

I used to give out free repair advice on certain equipment on FIDOnet and later the Internet and one day, a room temperature IQ sort took my advice to a different user and ran with it! Long story short, they totaled their device and wished for me to replace it. I said, "Er, no." I was contacted by their legal department, we hashed it all out and it all boiled down to, "They got what they paid for." End story and lessons learned. Hence, my disclaimer. :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would like for admin to remove this thread or at least edit it and lock it. Unless there is gross misconduct by a company, we do not bash them. Unfortunately you are not satisfied with a product found to be quite capable by many others. I guess it would be like shoes or jeans, not a one size fits all. Since you are new and no one really knows who you are it will be an assumption that you are not easy to deal with and will complain about stubbing your toe on a gold rock that would make you a millionaire. Your first impression has not been good.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Fact: The Givi Windshield for the Burgman 650 Exec moves wind buffeting to the side in such way that when when driving, it feels as if someone is at the front beating the side of your head. So at 55+mph, you'll get abused. I tried lowering the screen with exactly if not worse results. It is like the design with the fancy bubble for the handles causes some sort of cavitation and vacuum effect that just make the ride really uncomfortable at speed faster than 55.

ANY claim to the contrary is FALSE. So when I read "Aahh, my Givi screen works just fine" is plainly incorrect, false, misleading and ultimately dishonest. It made me make the worst investment on my motorcycle. I am not trying to make enemies here, but please, you cannot state that this windshield makes the ride better at higher speeds when it does not. As far as I'm concerned, the Givi windshield should by banned in the US.

I do not want to cut, trim, expand, or modify the Givi windshield. If I wanted to do that, I'd stuck with the stock windshield and made the modifications there.

I am now waiting for the ClearView windshield and I'll post my findings when I've installed it. I will be taking video of both rides and then post it on YouTube. Then you can decide.
I have read all the posts, on this subject with a smile on my dial, except the posts by Twikman. In the years I have been associated with BUSA I do not recall ever reading such over the top comments from a new member. Perhaps Twikman’s posts are just a matter of a little road rage.

Most but not all (not one size fits all) have found the Givi screen a big improvement on the stock screen. Because one size does not fit all, is why, experienced riders modify the low value, one size fits all Givi screen, to fit there individual requirements. I am not going to search the numerous posts on that subject.

It’s a shame Twikman you did not do your home work. If you had done so thoroughly and asked for advice from the very experienced members on this forum (I apologise if I did not see it if you did), you should have come to the conclusion to approach Clearview in the first instance and paid for their more expensive, made to order, custom screen as I did in 2009.

I did not buy the Givi screen; I could not afford to make a mistake, living in New Zealand. I did not want to try and modify any screen. The cost of the Clearview or the Givi screen doubled in price due to shipping costs. I did my home work and imported a Clearview screen, made to measure, with vent. It was an expensive accessory for my 2009, 650 exec.

My home work turned out well worth the effort, no back pressure and no head wobbles for my pillion or I. I also doubt very much that Clearview would have taken it back just because I was unhappy with what I had ordered.

I hope Twikman you have now done your homework, given Clearview your body measurements so the correct size screen can be made for you and completed the order with the screen vent, (for back pressure relief and ventilation, for those hot days). The down side, if you have not done so, is that you may find your self in exactly the same position as you are in now.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Going on the tone of his posts, am I alone in wondering whether the OP has any connection with Clearview? As Givi will not accept the shield back, should we expect to see it in the 'for sale 'section just as soon as he has fitted his Clearview? Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.