Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I were going to travel to Virginia to do "The Back of the Dragon." From NW Indiana, the halfway point was very near Xenia, OH where an old college buddy of mine lives. I asked him to put us up for the night and to join us on his GL1100 Goldwing for the rest of the trip. When I arrived, he made a passing comment about my "girly-bike" ('03 650) I asked him to take it for a ride before making any more comments about it. Gave him some quick instructions about how it is different from his "Oldwing" and off he went. He was gone about 10 minutes and came back with the Burgman Grin on his face. He stepped off the bike and said, "There's definitely NOTHING girly about THAT bike!" In the twisties of the Back of the Dragon, there was no way that my friends on their Goldwings could keep up with me. On the highway, I had no trouble keeping up with them, and got WAY better gas mileage than they did. Proud of my Scoot!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I feel ya man. My 07 650 has been mistaken for everything from a Moped to a Goldwing!:) Folks just don't seem to know what to make of these mysterious creatures. One of my favorite things to do is park mine right up front of where ever I'm stopped and just watch people walk around it ...... trying to figure out exactly what it is. The first thing most folks ask is about mpg. I've took to telling them "it depends on how hard you run it on the Interstate". Shocked looks usually follow.:) Long live the Maxi Scooter!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A friend and I were going to travel to Virginia to do "The Back of the Dragon." From NW Indiana, the halfway point was very near Xenia, OH where an old college buddy of mine lives. I asked him to put us up for the night and to join us on his GL1100 Goldwing for the rest of the trip. When I arrived, he made a passing comment about my "girly-bike" ('03 650) I asked him to take it for a ride before making any more comments about it. Gave him some quick instructions about how it is different from his "Oldwing" and off he went. He was gone about 10 minutes and came back with the Burgman Grin on his face. He stepped off the bike and said, "There's definitely NOTHING girly about THAT bike!" In the twisties of the Back of the Dragon, there was no way that my friends on their Goldwings could keep up with me. On the highway, I had no trouble keeping up with them, and got WAY better gas mileage than they did. Proud of my Scoot!
I once had a GL1100 Goldwing and it was the poorest handling and my least favorite bike of the 16 I have had. The new GL 1800s are much better.

I live about 3 miles from the Back of the Dragon and we ride it 2 or 3 times per month (usually to or from somewhere else). Three of the four of us who have 650s locally have or came from BMWs and the other one bought a 650 because he couldn't keep up on his Harley Switchback. I can ride the mountains rather "briskly" because I have been riding there most of my life (66). I led a group across the Back of the Dragon a couple of weeks ago and lost them. I later asked a BMW GS rider what happened to him and he said he couldn't keep up.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I love stories like these!

I ride with a very accepting MC group and get teased all the time, in good fun, and we tease the MC guys right back. The leader calls my buddies and I the "Hot Rod Scooter Boys". I responded, "Hot Rod Scooter, if ever there was an oxymoron..."

This last trip he commented that we must be pedaling hard to keep up and I reminded him that he got it backwards, the MCs were the ones stomping on petals all day, we have automatics and civilized hand controls.

But at the beginning of the day, we usually line up, faster bikes first... Leader, a couple good sport-bikes, scooters / Vstroms / BMWs, cruisers, GWs and Polaris at the back. I think they have respect that we can hang with the best of the bikes and riders.

One of the things I point out to these guys is that the 650 has roughly one cc for each pound of bike, theirs have roughly 1.5, two or even three ccs for each pound of their bike. The fact that the scoots keep up at all is a testimate to the auto tranny, handling and low CG.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After riding the "Back" a time or two, my two friends were complaining about their arms and hands hurting from all the shifting that they had to do. I had no idea what they were talking about!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
After riding the "Back" a time or two, my two friends were complaining about their arms and hands hurting from all the shifting that they had to do. I had no idea what they were talking about!
I rode the "Back" for about 10 years on BMWs before I got a Burgman (and before it was named the "Back of the Dragon"). I kept my BMW R1200CLC for several months after I got a Burgman. After a couple of months riding the Burgman, I rode my BMW to keep the battery charged. I came home and immediately put the BMW on Craigslist because the BMW was work when compared to the Burgman. I realized I was not going to ride the BMW and I might as well sell it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I rode the "Back" for about 10 years on BMWs before I got a Burgman (and before it was named the "Back of the Dragon"). I kept my BMW R1200CLC for several months after I got a Burgman. After a couple of months riding the Burgman, I rode my BMW to keep the battery charged. I came home and immediately put the BMW on Craigslist because the BMW was work when compared to the Burgman. I realized I was not going to ride the BMW and I might as well sell it.
Same experience with my ST1100. Once I got a scooter, it sat for a year before I finally sold it

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I love stories like these!

I ride with a very accepting MC group and get teased all the time, in good fun, and we tease the MC guys right back. The leader calls my buddies and I the "Hot Rod Scooter Boys". I responded, "Hot Rod Scooter, if ever there was an oxymoron..."

This last trip he commented that we must be pedaling hard to keep up and I reminded him that he got it backwards, the MCs were the ones stomping on petals all day, we have automatics and civilized hand controls.

But at the beginning of the day, we usually line up, faster bikes first... Leader, a couple good sport-bikes, scooters / Vstroms / BMWs, cruisers, GWs and Polaris at the back. I think they have respect that we can hang with the best of the bikes and riders.

One of the things I point out to these guys is that the 650 has roughly one cc for each pound of bike, theirs have roughly 1.5, two or even three ccs for each pound of their bike. The fact that the scoots keep up at all is a testimate to the auto tranny, handling and low CG.

I can definitely relate...one guy said to me if you can cross your legs while riding, it's not a motorcycle. Yes, I have to deal with teasing from time to time but, more than those times I have received many compliments...mostly from women ...which I don't mind. ;-).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I can definitely relate...one guy said to me if you can cross your legs while riding, it's not a motorcycle. Yes, I have to deal with teasing from time to time but, more than those times I have received many compliments...mostly from women ...which I don't mind. ;-).
I like to bring treats for the group!

After a good long, hard ride keeping up with their beemers, sport bikes and such, at the breaks, I pop my trunk and bring out my cooler of fresh fruit and chilled waters for the group to share. In the winters, I bring thermoses of hot chocolate and cider, replete with chilled whip cream and chocolate sprinkles on occasion.

I also carry a full ride bag of virtually everything needed for minor breakdowns or injuries. Jumper cables,medical supplies, tire repair kit, compressed air, the whole lot. And my Top case is still usually empty.

They may think it a "girly bike", but they have NO shame accepting offerings or help from said ride and always thank me for being so prepared. They may still never ride one, but I think they have some respect for a bike that can keep up with them AND do it with a little civility, style and grace.

I have often referred to the burgman as a "Gentleman's Bike". Free from machismo, we can ride a more sophisticated steed.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I did something similar at the track day Tuesday...one person was having problems shifting in his new and very-stiff boots...I innocently :)D) asked, "What is this 'shifting' of which you speak?" :cool::cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well as soon as my ole wing sells it will be a girlie bike fur me too.

I cant wait:bounce:

I bought my wing when I was 45 an always heard from some that's an old

mans bike . That ole man bikes blows by um with a whole lot of ease

every time .

That's ok when I get the 650 I will this tell them I love Girls :p:p:p

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
We used to get that about the early Miatas (girly car), best response I ever heard was:

Yes I pick up a lot of them, do you pick up a lot of guys in yours?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
+1 ;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Dear Abby, ;-)

A friend of mine from church stopped me in the hallway last Sunday and invited me on a charity ride on Sat the 8th. Unfortunately,I told him I had to work

Yesterday, he posted some pictures on FB and I couldn't help but wonder if I had gone, how I would stick out like a sore thumb. I don't wear leather,or own a doo rag. I don't have any patches, and my 400 doesn't have any chrome and it sounds nothing like their bikes.

Iow, my girly bike wouldn't measure up to their manly bikes. :D

Don't get me wrong, this was a charity ride. These guys and gals aren't your bar type Harley riders ..they're family church going men and women who just like to ride their bikes.

In fact the guy on the far right Carl, suggested on FB this picture needs to be printed & framed, & hung in our Sunday School class.

I'm sure they would have accepted me with open arms. But, if I were honest with myself, I'd feel very out of place, but, in time, I'd probably get over it.

I'm just being honest and I'm sure overly sensitive..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Riding the BMW was more work.

I kept my BMW R1200CLC for several months after I got a Burgman. After a couple of months riding the Burgman, I put the BMW on Craigslist because the BMW was work when compared to the Burgman.
I rode a loaded 1100 cc BMW today. The first thing I noticed was that it was more difficult to mount. It had a driver backrest just like my Burgman which makes it a little harder to swing your leg over. The step thru frame simplifies getting on and off.

The second thing I noticed was that the BMW seat is higher. Combined with the higher center of gravity makes coming to a full stop a little less secure and more work.

Shifting gears in traffic requires more work.

About the only area where the Burgman requires more work is going over traffic bumps. The Burgman's suspension will not absorb the impact. On the BMW with its long travel suspension, you can hardly feel them. You don't even have to slow down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts