Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Girl 27 does a 31,398 mile trip in just over a year riding a VESPA 250 GT, and she's not finished yet!
Riding alone, no advance crews or helpers. Just herself, her Vespa 250gt and her sense of ADVENTURE.
This story is about a young lady I had the great pleasure to meet last October 2014 while I was riding in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area near Las Vegas. I had pulled into a picnic area to get a drink and have a sandwich. I parked next to a well ridden blue Vespa 250GT. I had finished my sandwich and was heading back from throwing away my trash, when the rider of that Vespa showed up. We starting talking about our bikes, her Vespa and my Kymco 500. I noticed her license plate was from Rhode Island. I asked her if she had shipped her bike out here. 'Nope' she replied, I drove it the whole way from Rhode Island.
My expression must have been that of "Deer in headlights" because she reaffirmed she had rode the whole way. I knew, I had to talk to her about her adventure. At the next hiking trail we both pulled off for some pictures and I suggested we get something to drink down the road in Blue Diamond. This is a little bit I found out about Ms Stephanie Yue . She's (28y.o.) freelance illustrator under contract for children's books and has been able to work while on the road.
Check out her website at www.jellycity.com

She started her adventure in the middle of May 2014. During the months before, she started to sell everything she owned and the stuff she couldn't sell, she packed away at a friend's house. She does her illustrations when she has longer layovers.
As of June 22, 2015 Stephanie has logged 31,398 miles on this trip so far on a Vespa 250GT Total miles on her Vespa 42,623 !! Mostly great riding and camping. There were some hard miles in weather and wind traveling through northern great plains and Texas, where the high winds kept her speed to 50mph indicated despite having the throttle wide open.
Currently she has to travel from Madison Wisconsin north into upper peninsula of Michigan back into Wisconsin and across Lake Michigan on a ferry, continuing to Maine.
If anyone would like to follow the travels and adventures of this amazing woman,
she has a Blog
http://250superhero.blogspot.com/

Stephanie was truly inspiring to talk to. After wintering in San Jose, CA for a few months Stephanie stopped in Las Vegas on her return trip for HIGH ROLLERS WEEKEND in March.

·
Registered
252 Posts
really enjoy her humor from the blog!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What a nice young lady!
I was thoroughly impressed by her. She's actually doing what most think about, talk about or dream about.
As a side note.
When I asked her what her parents thought of her riding adventure. She admitted she hadn't told them. This was in Oct. 2014. She told me her parents live in China and she didn't want them to worry. She eventually told them at Christmas time while she was wintering in San Francisco, her kind of 1/2 to 3/4 point of the trip.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Doc, thanks for posting this. What an inspiration for us all and a fantastic young lady. Good luck to her. I would also say the Vespa GT is a fantastic scooter and is well up to the job. The 250 is brilliant and now of course, there is a 'Touring 300 GTS' which is even better. I've ridden the latest one which has abs and traction control and got to say it's the most fun you can have with your cloths on. I recommend a test ride but be warned, you will want one. I am about to order one! Thanks again Doc.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Wonderful! I checked out the map of her route, if I have anything in common with this young lady it's that apparently neither of us stop to ask for directions. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
While I applaud her endeavors, I question her choice of transportation.

The little Vespa 250 is a nice city, urban and rural bike for the short commute, but a lack of sustainable speed, reliability, very short maintenance intervals and a very sparse dealer network, especially in the 'heartland,' could and would be a real potential problem. Very small tires and a small gas tank is problematic in many, many areas of the United States.

I have always been in love with Vespa's since I lusted after it and a Lambretta, in a local motorcycle dealership, in 1961, in Southern California.

My nearest dealer is 150 miles away, whereas Japanese dealers are everywhere, which makes my choice a no-brainer.

She's a lucky young Lady and I wish her well.

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I really should not read this blog of hers. I can already tell me it would make me insane. I am already SO wanting to do this. I am a musician and software developer and have convinced myself I can do the software work from the road. Yesterday I went as far as having a virtual garage sale in my head to see how much money I would raise if I sold most of my ukuleles, some basses and guitars. I even briefly toyed with selling my 1970 Honda CL350 but then took a ride and remembered how much fun it was.

Anyway, I'm going to read her blog and I'm sure it will do little to convince me that I shouldn't do it. Very inspirational to read about people doing what I've dreamed about for a couple of years. Thanks for posting ... I think.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You use what you got.

If the choice is "use my 250, or don't go at all" (buying something else is not an option) - your contention is that you don't go at all?

You can easily carry tires, gas, and a belt on a 250. I did. If you have a year or more to travel, what difference does it make if you lose a week or two to getting repairs done? Also, you can easily get towed or otherwise to a dealer at some distance away.

It's true, a 250 isn't the IDEAL ride for such a trip, but no real reason not to make it on one, if you're equipped to deal with the down sides.

Besides which, ANYONE can make a 30,000 miles trip on a Goldwing. No challenge there. A 250? Not such much.

If you're in a position where you can take a year off work and go on no or limited income, and don't have to worry about the financial impact of that decision years down the line, touring by a small scooter is not a bad way to go. I can tell you that on my ride from Alaska down to Tijuana, I was VERY tempted to just keep going south to Peru, rather than west to San Luis. Unfortunately, I had a job, house and a dog back in Alaska that were incompatible with that particular temptation.

The only real issue I had on my trip, on a 250cc scooter, was going across the Canadian prairies. It was just so windy!! I couldn't keep it in my lane and had someone been coming the other way when I got blown across the center line, that would have been the end of the trip for me. A heavier bike is certainly more practical in this situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone likes reading travel blogs, look up C90 Adventures or Wander on a Honda. It is a young man and his girlfriend whose blog I have been following since September, they shipped their two Honda C90s from England to Alaska last August and rode North as far as they could go and then South to British Columbia and the they headed East to Newfoundland. I hosted them for a night at our home and was pleased I did, very interesting stories. They are now heading South to Argentina.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonderful! I checked out the map of her route, if I have anything in common with this young lady it's that apparently neither of us stop to ask for directions. :D
After talking with Stephanie on her second trip through Las Vegas, she explained that her ride (adventure) wasn't a race or a straight line course. The only goal was to be in San Francisco by Christmas time and hit as many states as she could on the way. Other than that, she rode where her heart or curiosity took her.
As for myself, I only ask directions when I HAVE to BE somewhere, other than that, I like to wander and explore.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What AlaskaGuy says, use what ya got. I rode all over this country and Canada on a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R. It had a whopping 2.5 gallon tank, spoke wheels with tubes, leaked oil like a sieve, had antiquated chain final drive(no O ring then), no heated seats, no signal lights, no GPS, no radio, no phone, twin carbs, push rods, NO Computer(wow), no oil cooler, air cooled, no counter balancers, drum brakes, no anti locks..........I did it and anyone can. Two folks went 1/2 way around the world and all the way across the US on 100cc Sym Simba bikes. One guy road the REAL IRON BUTT 10,000 miles in ten days on a Honda Helix! If you never challenge yourself as this girl obviously does with her choice of ride.......... then just sit on the porch.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

The little Vespa 250 is a nice city, urban and rural bike for the short commute, but a lack of sustainable speed, reliability, very short maintenance intervals and a very sparse dealer network, especially in the 'heartland,' could and would be a real potential problem. Very small tires and a small gas tank is problematic in many, many areas of the United States.

I have always been in love with Vespa's since I lusted after it and a Lambretta, in a local motorcycle dealership, in 1961, in Southern California.

My nearest dealer is 150 miles away, whereas Japanese dealers are everywhere, which makes my choice a no-brainer.

She's a lucky young Lady and I wish her well.

Sam:cool:
I know what you mean Porky regarding suitability...and it's a bit different of course for each of us I appreciate that. But I will say the GTS250's and the 300 version are a very good choice from many angles and it suits many folks to go around the world on. The reason is, they are very robust, hugely reliable, easy to work on, long long service intervals (oil changes only every 6000 miles on the 300's), easy on the tyres, they are very comfortable for virtually any size person. Don't ask me how Vespa does that. I know many 6'5" folks who ride them over here in the Uk and they go all over "urop" loaded with stuff. I've done 400 mile days on one and I'm 6'2" and it's suitability was for me fine. Plenty of power (it was the 300 I was riding) and fantastic acceleration, easy 70mph cruising all day and the motor felt less stressed than many bigger bikes at that speed. Very good fuel economy ranging from 74mpg to 85mpg depending on speed (uk gallons). There are very few panels to take of the scoot to get to anything and what there is can be done easily as Micbergsma shows when he strips his for servicing etc. Overall, a good choice in my book especially as the newer one's have abs and traction control. Believe it or not, the new 300 is so powerful that it'll spin the rear wheel all too easily if the road surface is compromised in anyway.

Heres me on a new GTS300 Touring model at the NEC motorcycle and scooter show.
View attachment 44018

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quantum Mechanic;1143786 Heres me on a new GTS300 Touring model at the NEC motorcycle and scooter show. [ATTACH said:
44018[/ATTACH]
What a great scoot. I'm extremely interested in the new 350cc unit for 2016! If you folks over there get any info on them give us a shout and pics on the other scooters forum.....please.....ride safe.......Mike

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
67,094 miles on a Vespa 250GT as 0f 12-19-17

Doc, thanks for posting this. What an inspiration for us all and a fantastic young lady. Good luck to her. I would also say the Vespa GT is a fantastic scooter and is well up to the job. The 250 is brilliant and now of course, there is a 'Touring 300 GTS' which is even better. I've ridden the latest one which has abs and traction control and got to say it's the most fun you can have with your cloths on. I recommend a test ride but be warned, you will want one. I am about to order one! Thanks again Doc.
Well QM,
MS Yue is still riding her Vespa 250 GT
Update
As of 12 - 19 - 2017 Ms Yue Traveled a Total: 67,094 miles Including riding up to Fairbanks Alaska and Mexico. On her Vespa 250 GT.

http://250superhero.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
745 Posts
The trip I/we took to Tasmania comprised off me/NC700 Integra/Majesty 250/Vespa GTS250 (the fast red one), Perth -> Port Melbourne-> Ferry to Tasmania.

Just happened to be when the Ulysses Club had it's AGM and almost booked out Tasmania's accommodation out :-(

Anyway GTS250 was pretty much full throttle all the way had rear tyre replaced @ Port August, front rack was added to carry 5ltr bottle of fuel for that long stretch to Nullarbor Roadhouse almost got there 5klms out ran out of fuel (main tank) top it up with the spare fuel.

On the return trip it made it to Madura Pass where it spat the oxygen sensor out, unbeknown to use at the time exhaust gas was blowing past the oxygen sensor (burnt the thread out on one side before spitting it out completely) and cooked the main wiring harness that ended up stopping the scoot dead in it's tracks :-(

Greg

Majesty 250 2002 went ok with more wind protection and the same mileage over all as the Vespa, this Majesty had also done a trip to Kings Canyon/Uluru the year before, blow out 2 belts (Dayco brand krapp) replaced with OEM belt when we got home and it's still in there before and after the Tassie trip without a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts