Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a very mild October, November and December but now that it's January winter has found us here in NE Ohio and riding is non existent. I'm trying to get through the riding drought by having some work done on my scoot (mostly suspension). Was just wondering how other cold and snowbound riders are getting through this time of year.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
When I lived in Chicago pretty much the bike went away from Mid October to April. Now I retired to Las Vegas and I pretty much ride the Burgman all winter except for a cold front that will come through for a few days or so.

(Temp) Was 64 today. June, July and August are brutally hot though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was 64 today.
Happy birthday! That sounds like an average age for our group. I've noticed the same for Harley & BMW riders. Dirt & Ninja style bikes get younger riders. Overall the motorcycle market seems to be fading. Maybe that's why there are no new Burgies.

Sorry to hear about the harsh weather in some places. Here in SoCal, we have good weather but it's expensive to live here. I rode year-round when I lived in Chicago along with about half the BMW club members. Snow wasn't too bad but sometimes there was ice under the snow which made for surprising moments. Wet snow sticking to face shield was a serious nuisance. Those things were rare though and sometimes it was a pleasure to ride in winter.

I'll be 75 in March and I'm really missing my old dirt bike. Let me know if you find any street legal trials bikes around 400cc and 250 pounds.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Was just wondering how other cold and snowbound riders are getting through this time of year.
With some warm gear you can still get some "fun" rides in. I usually ride once a month during winter months, even if for a short 30 minute ride. I don't ride below 32 unless the roads are clear and dry. This year I've been slacking though and haven't been riding much.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Dang Jabberwock, I would have never guessed you had that many rings in your trunk...
What ever your doing keep it up ol’ boy. Maybe we can rendezvous with Uncle Fester in Vegas for a birthday party.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
“ Was 64 today “

“ Happy birthday! That sounds like an average age for our group.”

“ Dang Jabberwock (Uncle Fester?), I would have never guessed you had that many rings in your trunk...”

Uhhh . . . 64 = degrees Fahrenheit?

Quote from Jab,

“I'll be 75 in March and I'm really missing my old dirt bike. Let me know if you find any street legal trials bikes around 400cc and 250 pounds.”

Added the avg. temp of San Diego in Fahrenheit.

What is the temperature in March in San Diego?
In San Diego, California, in March, the average high-temperature is 65.7°F (18.7°C), and the average low-temperature is 53.2°F (11.8°C).

·
Administrator
17,677 Posts
“ Was 64 today “

“ Happy birthday! That sounds like an average age for our group.”

“ Dang Jabberwock (Uncle Fester?), I would have never guessed you had that many rings in your trunk...”

Uhhh . . . 64 = degrees Fahrenheit? LOL!

I added (Temp) to UF's post above. :grin

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I ride every month of the year here in central Iowa. Usually the coldest blasts from way up north form a bulge that drops down through ND, eastern SD, MN, WI, and Iowa. So if you live in any of those states you'll feel it. Yesterday it was a high of 3.6F and right now today my thermometer shows 11.6F. IF the roads were clear I'd have gone riding this morning already when the temps were below zeroF. I simply add a few extra liners/layers under my riding jacket and riding pants, plug in my electric heated gloves, wear my fleece neck gator and keep on riding. Been doing that for the last 15+ years now.

I need a new jacket this year since my current TM Flex 2 jacket is getting old and worn. Been thinking that since I add layers I may just go with a mesh jacket that includes wind/thermal liners (2 parts that can be added separately or together), add my wind/thermal liner set from my old previous Flex 1 jacket, throw on my Frogg Toggs jacket over it all (in place of the solid shell) and just keep on riding. But I haven't had good conditions in the last few weeks to test that theory. Just today the center of the streets are beginning to clear, still showing a bit wet or icy, and the sides including about 4 ft from the end of my driveway toward the center of the street is covered in a sheet of slippery. Should clear up in the next day or so but no riding until it does. Temp doesn't stop me from riding in this season, only ice and snow on the pavement does.

Oh, and to prevent a frosty visor my helmet is equipped with a Pin-Lock insert (visor came made for it) so NO fogging or frost there. And to keep my glasses from fogging up I use a home made snorkle to breathe through so no humid breath inside the helmet. The end of that sits just at the bottom edge of my helmet to one side. Face area and glasses inside my helmet stays very clear and warm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
64 degrees. I'm still in my 50's till this April!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
i was following the humor of age and temps but I also know we have some riders in their 70’s. I was more surprised and proud that Jab stated he was 75 and I wanted to give him well wishes.

Sorry for the confusion and I’ll wear the egg on my face cause I have bacon breath this morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my first winter with a cycle, (here in PA).
My "winter storage" plan is simple.
I'll be keeping my 650 on a carpet and wrapped in two blankets in my garage.
On milder days I'll start it up and drive up and down the block to keep things flowing.
I went for a nice ride about 2 weeks ago, (60 degrees and sunny). Not bad for January in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Seriously Depressing ...

... being unable to ride since November; The trend for the past 3 Springs has been to thaw a week or two or three before the previous year. So our riding months have increased over the past 3 years.

I actually avoid checking in on y’all because it is too depressing to think about riding while the option for me gets shut down for about 5 months.

My garage is around 35F and when the temp outside is optimum I open up the doors and fire up both the 650 and the 400 - successfully every months thus far.

Carry on y’all and ride when you can. All the best in the New Year. This one will be my 73rd. :wink

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had a very mild October, November and December but now that it's January winter has found us here in NE Ohio and riding is non existent. I'm trying to get through the riding drought by having some work done on my scoot (mostly suspension). Was just wondering how other cold and snowbound riders are getting through this time of year.
Take advantage of the warm(ish) days with dry roads (not dry salty roads...they're slippery) when they come along. Just add layers/thermal liners to the gear.

Try to run them or take a short low speed ride every other week. Currently making my list of parts/supplies needed to complete maintenance to be ready for riding season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts