Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been brought up before and frankly, I'm not sure if there is a section of the Burgie forum for this subject. So feel free to move it moderators!

It seems in the various other forums and blogs I visit there is a concern about the lack of new people taking up the sport of motorcycling.

I don't really see it here in Florida, if anything I see a large number of young people on scooters and motorcycles. But I can only speak to my small part of the world. I do know however that sales have been falling over the last few years and I think there is a combination of reasons for this.

So my question is...how do you promote the sport? How do you get younger people involved? :glasses6: Geeks like me are always curious.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why does it need to be "promoted?"

I see lots of riders every day. Many of them ride in shorts and t-shirts and sandals. Rarely see any helmets. Once saw a girl on a 50cc, dressed for a night out, complete with sparkly gold platform heels. I would think that 'promoting' ridership is akin to promoting Darwinism.

I think it is irresponsible to attempt to influence someone to undertake an inherently risky activity. It is up to them to decide it is something they wish to try. Once they make that decision, I'm happy to offer the benefit of my experience regarding ways to survive. Things like lane position, attitude, safety gear, farkles. But the initial choice to ride must be theirs alone.

I do wonder why you think riding needs promoting. What is the goal, other than accelerated natural selection.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
riding safely, using safe clothing is not cool, therefore youngsters wont use/do it until they get their butts scratched and learn the lesson.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think that younger folks are not so much interested in riding two wheels because it takes a bit of skill, you have to be more aware of the situation, and involved .

From what I see they would rather drive a car and text than bother to be out in the elements.

In some cases lately I am seeing teenagers who have no interest in driving a car either. My back door neighbor is a case in point, not even out of high school, has a baby, and depends on her mother to drive her around. Unless one of her friends shows up in a car to haul her useless lame butt to the mall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really don't consider riding a motorcycle or scooter a "sport" unless done competitively. It is a lifestyle and transportation choice for me. I don't want anyone doing it that doesn't know what they are getting into and are responsible about doing it. This includes driving an automobile.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I agree riding a Bike/scooter/bicycle is not without risk. But maybe if we educated, "promoted" the value of the activity to our younger population, I too don't think of it as a sport, then maybe we would get more riders and more awareness of motorcycles and parents that would allow the children to ride knowing their kids are educated on riding safe too.

It wasn't till I started riding just a few years ago, and I have been driving over 35 years , that I gained a more complete appreciation of the motorcycles around me. There are other benefits too, reducing the amount of gas guzzling behemoths on the road for one ,

At my kids school drivers Ed is class they can take, why not MSF courses as an option for those that want it

·
Registered
709 Posts
There is a lot of gimmicks today Available in auto Mobile Such as cell phones, ipod, Text talk Etc etc. You have to want to ride a motorbike for the right Reasons, And affordable transportation is no good reason to ride 2 wheels Although millions do around the world. We have also become very paranoid for the right reasons, In the USA you have people playing with phones Coming into oncoming traffic Encouraging lots of fear and deaths into the motorcycle world... These Habits are seldom used by motorcyclist, And seldom do motorcyclists fail Although many do due to alcohol and other. The motor car operator With all its legal freedom,s has put a lot of fear out there And I would not want my son riding a motorbike!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am from Huntington Beach, Ca. I see scooters all the time. Some with a surf board attachment to haul the board to the beach. In my Meet Up group we have ages from about 28 to our oldest married couple of 84 who go on rides. It is not a sport but a lifestyle as already said. Some like two wheels some like radio heater or AC and a little more comfort. I got my first two wheel taste at 8 with a mini bike when it was safe to ride all over upstate New York with no concern. Yes it was home made but to me it was the best thing ever. Kids do not have as many options nowadays. Just keep looking for the cars guys for they do not always see us. Take care.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Interesting topic. Just a few random thoughts:

I think for most riders, motorcycling is a discretionary expense. Discretionary dollars are harder to come by (especially for young people), and spendy hobbies are scaled back.

I think those 20-something riders who are into the sport, give it up when they get married and have families. Only some of them return to riding when the 'mid-life crisis' hits.

I grew up in a non-motorsport environment - my parents would never have allowed it, none of my friends had motorcycles. I was 52 when I rode my first motorcycle/scooter (a Yamaha Zuma) while I was visiting a cousin on the Jersey shore. Nine years later, riding continues to be one of the great joys in my life. So I guess you never know where the next new rider will come from.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why does it need to be "promoted?"

I see lots of riders every day. Many of them ride in shorts and t-shirts and sandals. Rarely see any helmets. Once saw a girl on a 50cc, dressed for a night out, complete with sparkly gold platform heels. I would think that 'promoting' ridership is akin to promoting Darwinism.

I think it is irresponsible to attempt to influence someone to undertake an inherently risky activity. It is up to them to decide it is something they wish to try. Once they make that decision, I'm happy to offer the benefit of my experience regarding ways to survive. Things like lane position, attitude, safety gear, farkles. But the initial choice to ride must be theirs alone.

I do wonder why you think riding needs promoting. What is the goal, other than accelerated natural selection.
Tell that to the tens of millions of 14yo girls who commute daily to school on scooters in asia. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thats a beauty.:)

Could be THE most reliable, cheapest to service BMW, on the planet.:laughing8:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I dunno - termite inspections every 3500 miles; factory re-varnishing . . . . it adds up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts