Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting the Burgman 400 a little better set up for multi-day trips this summer, if it ever quits raining.

The first addition was the installation of a Bearcat backrest to replace the factory buttrest that came with the scooter.

The second addition I made was purchasing a used factory rear rack off Ebay and getting it installed. It was a fairly simple task, the hardest part betting the tail cover off the scooter the first time. Once that was done, I checked to make sure the holes in the rack lined up with the holes on the scooter frame. Convinced that was correct I then drilled the tail cover using the bullseye marks on the underside of the cover. Installing the rack was as simple as putting a little blue loctite on the threads of the bolts and tightening them down.

The third addition was securing rings to the underside of the passenger grab rail to attach bungee hooks or hooks from a small cargo net to secure the load to the back of the seat. I read a thread here that threaded inserts were already embedded in the underside of the grab rail. They were sized for #6 metric bolts or machine screws. At the local hardware store I located the bolts and D-rings that would act as anchors for the bungees. Hardest part of the project was taking off the previously attached rear rack, the tail cover and the grab bar. Again I used blue loctite on the threads of the bolts going into the inserts.

The last addition was the installation of a Throttlemeister speed control system. I viewed installations done by fellow bikers on You Tube and decided to go for it. On one of the videos the installer was actually hammering the Throttlemeister into the handlebar. When I ordered the kit I was assured that that was definitely not necessary. Well mine came today. I carefully read the instructions. When I came time to install the interior part of the controller into the handlebar it almost fit, but not quite. Since identical pieces go into the handlebars on each side I tried the right, or throttle side first. Too tight. I went over to the left side and tried there. Again, just a little too tight. I got out the plastic mallet and drove it in. Went in decent at first but it took quite a bit of hammering to get it far enough in for the bar end weight to fit like it should.

Back to the throttle side. Took the second machined piece out of the package. Too tight. Called Throttlemeister and talked to a representative. He insisted that it should fit. We made sure it was the right kit. Asked a couple of questions about the inside of the handlebars. We then determined that the ridge created on the inside of the handlebars as part of the manufacturing process was probably the problem. Grind the ridge down and the piece would fit, fit snugly, but it would fit. So I polished the inside of the handlebar with my Dremel tool and a little sanding drum and it began to slide in after I lubricated the O-rings with water. That is the secret to installing the Throttlemeister that they don't tell you in the instructions. A little adjustment and it was good to go.

Looking forward to miles of pleasant riding this summer.

George
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Enjoy the Summer on yer "NEW" Burgman 400..........and be careful out there......!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top