Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so i was changing the needle bearing in the cvt and when putting everything back together i can seem to get the belt back into position. the part at the very back is ok, but the area with the variator seems to be a PITA.
could i be doing something wrong on the re-install?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a different note...
How do you know if you've got the belt in the right direction if you can't see which way the arrows point?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am not sure it matters as it is not like tires where there is tread pattern. I just installed a Suzuki belt and it did not have an indicated direction.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The belts are suppose to be directional. When I changed mine the belt I got from Suzuki did have an arrow on it and the service manual does say to align the belt so the arrow direction points in the direction of engine rotation.

I am supposing that you reinstalled an old belt when you replaced the bearing. In that case the arrows may have been worn off. If I were doing that I would use a marker to mark the belt direction before I took it off. I don't think I would want to risk reversing the direction the belt has been rotating when I put it back on. I could see how that might lead to an early failure of the belt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am supposing that you reinstalled an old belt when you replaced the bearing. In that case the arrows may have been worn off. If I were doing that I would use a marker to mark the belt direction before I took it off. I don't think I would want to risk reversing the direction the belt has been rotating when I put it back on. I could see how that might lead to an early failure of the belt.
You would be supposing correctly. I would have probably marked it had I known that they had worn off. Guess I've got a lesson learned here.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Additional note....when installing a new belt
that doesn't have directional arrows,
install it with the wording or lettering and
numbers facing out, so that you can
read them. Then maybe some of the lettering
might be still there whenever you service
the CVT, & you'll remember which way it
goes back on.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't think there are any overt signs you will see short term. I expect the biggest indicator that you have reversed the installation is increased belt wear and/or wear on the variator.

I don't think new belts for this scooter are directional. The arrows are to aid in consistent reinstallation. You can put it on either way when new but you should maintain a consistent orientation after that.

That said, I'll be replacing my variator at 40 K because I have a significant amount of wear at the outer edge (probably caused by not cleaning it properly during belt replacement).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts