Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 650 and it's hasn't been started and is sitting in my garage for almost 5 years now. I plan on doing some work on it to get ready to ride this summer. I know my battery is no good, but besides that what do I need to do or what needs to be replaced in order to get I running?

·
Registered
347 Posts
If it were my bike, I would change all the oils , clean the air and cvt filters, new gas and see if it fires up. After that I would be looking at the tires, brakes and head set adjustment. Probably lubricate the cables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured as much...Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dump the gas. Refill and put a can of Seafoam in it to clean out the lacquers that have been deposited through the fuel system.

Replace the tires. Five years is considered the safe lifespan of motorcycle tires, regardless of what the tread looks like.

Inspect other rubber components -- fuel lines, seals, etc -- and replace as necessary.

Replace the engine coolant.

The battery is likely toast.

Other than that, depending on mileage, you may want to replace the air filter and spark plugs. Iinspect them, anyway.

That's about all. Burgmans are pretty durable with normal maintenance.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
5 year old gas can get pretty ugly , I hope it that tank was emptied out .
Ever see a gas tank filled with some thing that looked like tar , and nearly as thick ?

I have . TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
5 year old gas can get pretty ugly , I hope it that tank was emptied out .
Ever see a gas tank filled with some thing that looked like tar , and nearly as thick ? I have . TheReaper!
And that smell, :puke:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
and do a thorough arachnid and rodent inspection. really.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
and do a thorough arachnid and rodent inspection. really.
Besides Rodents chewing on wires, they build nests in the air box and CVT of the 650.

I found Cherry Pits and crap in my air filter box. The inlet is where the rodents can crawl in and then set up shop "ON TOP" of the airfilter. So when you pull the air filter out, all that crap falls down into the engine side (filtered side) of the air box. My bike had set for two years in a shed on a Cherry Farm before the farmer's wife traded it in for a different bike, only 305 miles in three years. I found RATCRAP everywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts