Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last week I signed up for my motorcycle training course in April.

Now to shop for a helmet. :)
Probably going to go with the Bell Mag-8

Today (Sat, Christmas eve), I went into my Suzuki dealer (yet again), and sat on the 650, played with it, bounced up and down, swung it back and fourth, you know.......got my fix.
It is WELL put together isn't it?

They are asking $9999.00, $1000 off the MSRP for the 2004s.
Is that a fair price?
(Never asked about the 2005)
I know they have a few 2004s in stock.

Things are moving along according to The Plan..... :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
They are asking $9999.00, $1000 off the MSRP for the 2004s.
Is that a fair price?
I just about fainted, until I looked at your info and saw you're in Canada. In the States the MSRP for the 2004 is currently listed as $7699. I see also that there's a new listing; a 400 "Type S". Only available in red. Interesting. I would have thought they might have introduced an AN650 companion model also.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/AN ... fault.aspx

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Good prices, UK average for a 650 (non exec) = $US - 11,520 :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulling the trigger

Whoa, hold on there, not just yet.
I have to admit I was impressed with the 2005 Silverwing at the Toronto show.
600cc, but same output/HP as the Burg, (50) slightly lower seat 29.1" as compared to 29.5, about 50 Lbs. lighter, both are twins 600 and 650, and of course Honda quality.
(Burg quality excellent too, of course) :)
Pretty sexy tailpipe too, double pipe in one muffler!
An added bonus with the SW is the ABS brakes.

Honda is not publishing prices yet for 2005 but the 2004 prices were about $400.00 US higher than Suzukis.

Hope this is not considered blasphemy, but as the Honda dealer is about 1KM down the street from my Suzuki dealer, it might behoove me not to be too hasty here. :wink:

Any thoughts on this? NEG or Pos.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The tranny on the AN650 is much more advanced, and since it's heavier it makes a better choice for freeway driving, in my opinion. I, of course, have no qualms with the Hondas... I'm sure they're totally excellent. It's just that the Suzis feel more... substantial... to me. It will be interesting to see how the OD feature works on the '05s...

If I were you I'd do a thorough comparo before buying.

WLB :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In every comparison test that I've read, the Silverwing did not handle nearly as well as the Burgman 650. The main engineering difference is that the Silverwing engine is sitting on the swingarm - that is a lot of unsprung weight. The AN650 engine is frame mounted, moving the weight forward in the chassis, and leaving the suspension free to do its job without carrying the engine too. I'm not even sure if the Silverwing has radial tires. The superior transmission of the AN650 has already been mentioned.

I agree that the Silverwing is a good looking scoot - but if you like spirited riding, it is not in the same league as the AN650.

As for Honda quality - there have been several rather serious recalls on the Silverwing. Yes, Honda has been addressing the problems, but the machine was originally marketed with handlebars that could come off while riding, a gas tank that could rupture, and I don't remember specifically what else was recalled. These problems were serious enough to suspend sales of the Silverwing while they were being addressed.

From experience, the brakes on the AN650 are excellent. Not ABS, but in the several "panic stops" I've made, they worked extremely well. The Silverwing has a single front disk - the AN650 has dual front disk brakes. ABS notwithstanding, the Burgman has more stopping power.

Be careful when evaluating the two machines. They are not that close when it comes to performance.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SW

Good points all.

I haven't read any comparison tests of these two machines, so I guess this thread will become one. :lol:

There is a comparison of the Yamaha Majesty, and the Burg an400 in theis Dec.2004 issue of Cycle Canada mag.

The unsprung weight thing, forgot about that Paul.
I was thinking that with 119 mm of travel the ride would actually be better, but I guess not in this case.

Tires? You may be right there too. Smaller for sure 14" and 13", not 15 and 14 and they never mention radials.

Less blowing around on the big slabs, heavier by 50 lbs. (WLB)

Better braking(probably due to the double disks up front) :wink:

No recalls (that I've heard of)

"Spirited riding" I like that all right! :)

Not mentioned yet, no secure lock cover on the SW

Thank you all very much.

You are all helping me to convince myself even more that the 650 Burg is the way to go. (As if I needed convincing really) :roll:

My heart still belongs to Burgman, but maybe accidently mentioning the SW at my Burg dealers might get them sharpening their pencils?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet

Andre said:
Did you get to test drive it yet?
Not until I get my licence next spring, maybe not even then, depending on the dealer.
Would be nice though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I must admit, I didn't get to test drive either bike before I made a decision, although I briefly owned an AN400, which was what I traded in. My decision was based on research, price, and physical observation. The AN650 just looks like "more bike" when up against an SW. I'm happy to say the AN650 is one of the few major purchases I've made in my life of which I have absolutely no regrets. Now, if they'd just come out with a 1000 and put "real" motorcycle tires on the blamed thing... ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: Pulling the trigger

lilleyen said:
Hope this is not considered blasphemy, but as the Honda dealer is about 1KM down the street from my Suzuki dealer, it might behoove me not to be too hasty here. :wink:

Any thoughts on this? NEG or Pos.
That shouldn't even play into the equation. My Suzuki dealer is less than a mile from me, yet I go further to have my local motorcycle mechanic do all my work on the 650. I just flat out don't trust dealerships! As it is, I purchased the bike from a dealer 25 miles from here when I could have just purchased it less than a mile away.

I wouldn't purchase a vehicle just because the dealer is closer to me than another vehicle dealer. Go with the vehicle you like best.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The price you have been quoted seems OK but let me tell you what I got. My dealer sold me a 2005 model for $400 above his costs and threw in the PDI (Canadian dealer and price). That works out to about $9979 for a 2005 650 Burgman. So go figure, you should be able to get a 2004 less than $9999.00. Don't bother with the SilverWing...dated styling and we all seemed to survive without ABS all these years so I think you could possibly survive the rest of your life without it.

The 2005 model has a couple of changes. From what I've read, there is a modified transmission overdrive for improved gas mileage and some cosmetic changes. Clear turn signal lenses, matching colour windshield panel and if you have a California model, they are equiped with a catalytical converter. Go luck with it, the real killer maybe your insurance costs.

I heard Ontario has some outrageous insurance rates. Vancouverites pay about $750 basic rate yearly for a 650 and then if you want full comprehensive and collision the take about 12% of the cost of the vehicle into the equation...works out to about $1600.year for full insurance. Fortunately, we can insure for periods of the year so I usually insure for only 6 months. Don't want to ride in December, January, Feburary or March anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've never ridden a SW but, just comparing it with a 650 in the showroom, I found the 650 to be more comfortable because it had more room for my legs and the arm/wrist position felt better. On the SW my knees were rubbing the fairing and the handgrips hit my legs when I'd turn the front wheel lock-to-lock. (I'm 6'-2", 32" inseam).
Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had those problems on both the Silverwing and Burgman AN400 (34.5" inseam). Even on the AN650, I had to remove the adjustable butt stop so that my shins wouldn't contact the lower dash when I put my feet all the way forward. It's funny, but I don't remember having those issues on my 1985 Honda Elite 250 scooter. I never replaced the windscreen or anything else on that ch250 either - just rode it happily the way it came off of the showroom floor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I heard Ontario has some outrageous insurance rates. Vancouverites pay about $750 basic rate yearly for a 650 and then if you want full comprehensive and collision the take about 12% of the cost of the vehicle into the equation...works out to about $1600.year for full insurance.
Quite frankly, that's abominable. My ins for the AN650 is $158 a YEAR. That includes "full" coverage on the bike, but only $1000 of medical; I have group ins. at work. Even with the standard medical found on car policies it wouldn't go up that much. That even includes unin. motorist and all that! I love the bike, but I'd have to swallow VERY hard to even think about paying $1600/yr. for ins....

PS: By the way, my policy is through Progressive http://www.progressive.com. I don't know if they write policies in Canada or not, and I assume part of the high premiums may be "no fault" or some semblance of that, but if they write policies there it may not hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
State Farm

In Ontario Canada, State Farm Insurance quoted me $956.00 per year for the 650 Burg, about $525.00/ 528.00 approx. for the an400.

No discounts for safety courses or theft proofing etc.

From all I'm told that's a good rate around here. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2005 Burg 650

Timothy Ma said:
The 2005 model has a couple of changes. From what I've read, there is a modified transmission overdrive for improved gas mileage and some cosmetic changes. Clear turn signal lenses, matching colour windshield panel and if you have a California model, they are equiped with a catalytical converter. Go luck with it, the real killer maybe your insurance costs.

I heard Ontario has some outrageous insurance rates.
You heard right about the insurance rates Tim. :(

As for the changes to the 2005, I saw and sat on, and discussed, the new 2005s (see my avatar), at the T.O. show.
The cosmetic changes are there, but no hint of any overdrive or changes to the trans.

I think it's just a wishful thinking type of rumour. :wink:

Granted the rep I was talking to didn't seem to be too up on Burgmans, but I saw no extra buttons or switches anywhere.
Looked just like the dealer's 2004s I have been climbing all over. :)

Maybe I'll go to the upcoming International bike show here in January and see what I can find out there.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't believe you will see any additional controls for the overdrive. I suspect that it will just be a widening of gear ratios, controlled via the computer in Auto mode. Power mode would lock it out. Manual mode may or may not indicate an Overdrive position above 5th "gear". You could have 1 2 3 4 5 O - but I suspect that you won't. Fifth gear could simply roll into overdrive gearing when appropriate - or there may be no Overdrive in Manual mode.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts