Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get my bike up on the center stand with no problem, but getting it down is an issue. I usually am straddling the bike when I try to remove it from the center stand. Any advice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same for me. I stand on the left, put the kickstand down and grip the rear side handle in one hand and the left handle in the other. It takes a little muscle, but easy enough. Once it gets over the resistance point, I ease it onto the kick stand, then mount the bike. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
^ Works for me too. But for extra scary points, I keep textured wall on one side and my Burgman 400 on the other; either way means damage to the paint and such should she go... askew. Lol.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would be afraid using those methods that if it came down to hard it would land on the kick stand throwing the bike to the right?
What's wrong with rocking it back, then forward?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do both and the 650 is a heavy bike. Make sure you are on flat ground and paved is better than non paved areas. As people struggle with the 650's weight it might be father time saying "get a 400"!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I can get my bike up on the center stand with no problem, but getting it down is an issue. I usually am straddling the bike when I try to remove it from the center stand. Any advice?
Like @Rstanek, I straddle my 2008 650 (and did the same for five years, with a 2007), and just rock it/shove it forward. And I'm even older (70).

I have a 29-30" inseam, by the way. Are you significantly shorter than that? If so, that might be a case for taller boots or something. I'd be reluctant to have to control -- without fail -- 600-some pounds when I'm not straddling it.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
just out of curiosity, why is it on the center stand ? And as an aside, for a lardy, it really isn't that hard to pick up when dropped,( unless you happen to still be on it with your leg caught in a fence )

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just straddle the bike, feet flat on the ground both sides, rock the bike back, then quickly forward and it pops off the center stand as easy as you please.
The only basic RULE that I never break, it never have the engine running when you rock it off the center stand. If any mishap occurs or you grab too much handlebar, you might be in for a rude surprise if you accidentally give it a goose of throttle.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
I have always strattled the seat then Rock Back and then rock fast forward and 99.5% of the time it just comes off the center stand. I use the center stand to gas up and to park in small motorcycle parking strips.

The only time I've had a problem was on the Washington State Ferry's steel decking. As I rocked back and then forward my stand just slid on the steel deck. I tried about 10 times and had to have another rider put his foot on my stands foot and it then popped down.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
just out of curiosity, why is it on the center stand ? And as an aside, for a lardy, it really isn't that hard to pick up when dropped,( unless you happen to still be on it with your leg caught in a fence )
Takes up a lot less space in the garage, when on the centerstand. (I owned a Victory bagger from 2012 - 2017, and bought a WheelDock chock for mostly the same reason (bike didn't have a centerstand).)

Also, as noted earlier, putting the bike on the centerstand at gas stops allows more fuel to be put in, so folks will have to deal with it on the centerstand for at least that, too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Biggest problem I still have is getting the bike up on it's center stand after getting a new right hip .

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A Little off topic, but yesterday I pulled up to my garage and must've not had the kick stand down all the way. I thought my bike was going down! I think the fear of that and adrenaline kicked in and I got it back up just before it hit the ground, like 80% leaned over. I have a bruise on the backside of my left calve, and I remember that hurting, so it somehow must've been under the bike, probably saved it?
Anyway, if it would've went to the right, with my weak, prosthetic hip, it would've certainly went down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to ride the Burgman 400, and now ride a BMW R1200RT. Probably 30inch inseam here. Due to the smoothness of the garage floor, I was never able to straddle/rock the Burgman 400 off its centre stand as it would slide forward. I would always stand on the left side, side stand down, and my left foot in front of the centre stand to keep it from sliding. Left hand on the handle, right hand on the passenger handle, and then just rock it forward off the stand.

Now with the BMW R1200RT, straddling and rocking off the centre stand is impossible, as my feet do not even touch the ground!! So same procedure as above with the Burgman 400.

Personal stats for reference: Age 56, weight 179lbs, height 5'8", inseam 30". So I am not a "big" tall strong rider.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used to ride the Burgman 400, and now ride a BMW R1200RT. Probably 30inch inseam here. Due to the smoothness of the garage floor, I was never able to straddle/rock the Burgman 400 off its centre stand as it would slide forward. I would always stand on the left side, side stand down, and my left foot in front of the centre stand to keep it from sliding. Left hand on the handle, right hand on the passenger handle, and then just rock it forward off the stand.

Now with the BMW R1200RT, straddling and rocking off the centre stand is impossible, as my feet do not even touch the ground!! So same procedure as above with the Burgman 400.

Personal stats for reference: Age 56, weight 179lbs, height 5'8", inseam 30". So I am not a "big" tall strong rider.
I know for older BMWs there was the Reynolds Ride Off Stand. One of my coworkers that rides a wing also have a ride off center stand. I doubt that anyone make one for the Burgman.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I saw a YouTube where the guy was directly behind the 400 and he just lifted the rear end and rolled it off the center stand and onto the side stand. I tried it once and it worked well. It was also a major clinch moment that I did not enjoy. I have a very hard time rocking the 400 off the center stand from the seat, and I weigh 200 pounds. It’s surprising how hard it is.

I’ve had my Interceptor blown off the side stand in a Texas thunderstorm, cracked fairing, bent brake lever. Center stand is your friend.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A Little off topic, but yesterday I pulled up to my garage and must've not had the kick stand down all the way. I thought my bike was going down! I think the fear of that and adrenaline kicked in and I got it back up just before it hit the ground, like 80% leaned over. I have a bruise on the backside of my left calve, and I remember that hurting, so it somehow must've been under the bike, probably saved it?
Anyway, if it would've went to the right, with my weak, prosthetic hip, it would've certainly went down.
Be real carefull of what might be a partial tear of the achilles. Give it time to heal!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts