Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like February will be a good month for me. I will most likely be able to purchase my first Burgman in February.

Can you guys tell me what an '08 Exec. With 15,500 on the clock might be worth? Also what are common problems one might see with said bike?

I have not decided yet which Burg I want but I need to soon make up my mind.

I am only looking at used bikes.

Thanks for your help.

BTW my last bike was a year ago and an '01 Yamaha Magna 750 VF4

538lbs. 87 HP so yes I have riding experience.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Out here in So. Cal. they are asking in the low $4k. $4250 for one with 12k on it

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I’ll tell you what I look for when buying a 650 , you may have your heart set on the Executive but I would rather the standard , the less moving parts the better IMO . I look for one with pristine plastics , less than 10,000 miles , and the LESS MILES the better . If it has new OEM tires on it that’s a plus , also for sure no dents in the rims . Then I absolutely refuse to pay more than $3,500 for it and for good reason . I may be buying a close to new bike but I’m already parting it out in my head , that is why I am so particular . If the CVT blows up I know I can get around $1,500 for the bike whole or parting it out if I have all good plastics etc. etc. If I’ve done every thing right my loss is limited to $2,000 no matter what , if I get lucky I might get 40 to 50 thousand miles out of one before there is a CVT problem and I can still get quite a bit for the parts . As far as parts go the front end is where the money is , there is always some one with a front end wreck looking for front end parts . I love the Burgman 650’s but they are what they are , so I don’t fall in love with one . In my mind and many others they are disposable bikes , so I treat them that way . Do your home work and you’ll figure it out .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Reaper makes all good points IMHO. His strategy will do you well and $3200 for an 08 with less than 20,000 miles sounds right if it's not busted up. Sounds just a bit better than my deal last year for an 06 with 22,000 miles. I paid $4000 but knew it was meticulously cared for by an older gentleman. Like The Reaper, I hope to get another 40,000 out of her and then part it out and do it all over again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's a HONDA Magna V4--nice bike!

Sam:)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not many at all, maybe 2000. I really liked the Magna. Bought it from my cousin with 9000 for 2800 and it was as close to cherry as I would find for an '01.

My only problem with it was me, I loved pushing a 12 sec. Bike to its limits.

I decided I need something with a little less ponies so I didn't crash and burn before my time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 650 isn't going to lay down 12 second 1/4 mile times but it will go fast enough to get you into trouble in a big hurry. The 400 can do this too - just not quite as quickly. I've had my share of fast bikes - the Kawasaki H1 500 was the first of the so-called super bikes in the late 60's. I was young and dumb and I'm glad I lived through the 'need for speed' phase! I picked my bikes more carefully after that one. Handling on that one was very bad - frame flex isn't fun! And the drum brakes were only slightly better than no brakes.

The 400 and 650 are very similar - and very different. Both are good in stop and go traffic but the 400 makes more sense for that type of riding - and the newer 200 even better. The 650 is more of a touring type - something that can take you out on the turnpike for hours at a time. While the 400 can also do that the 650 would be my pick - it has more leg room. You should consider the type of riding you do most of the time before you settle on either model.

I paid $5000 for my 08 Exec 3 years ago - it had 3900 miles on it and not a scratch. If I were to sell it today I'd probably ask $4000 for it and seriously consider $3500 if the offer presented itself. It has almost 10k on it now and seems to have lots of life left - it runs today as well as the day I bought it. I don't think I'd pay more than $4000 for a very clean example of the 650 - and it would have to be the Exec and very low miles - under 10k. FWIW the movable windshield is very nice to have - and the folding mirrors allow me to park the Burgman behind my VW in the carport in riding weather. Its a tight squeeze with them folded back - otherwise I'd have to park the VW very close to the post supports and risk a big scrape on the car.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Not many at all, maybe 2000. I really liked the Magna. Bought it from my cousin with 9000 for 2800 and it was as close to cherry as I would find for an '01.

My only problem with it was me, I loved pushing a 12 sec. Bike to its limits.

I decided I need something with a little less ponies so I didn't crash and burn before my time.
Personally I wouldn't buy one with more that 10K on the clock , but with that kind of usage you should be OK with this bike , that said make sure the bike hasn't been dropped . Look it over with a fine tooth comb from stem to stern , then get on the ground and get a real good look at the under side to be sure . While you're down there look for any signs of leaking , then give it a good long test drive at all speeds .

Good luck . TheReaper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts