Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the third day in a row that I have ridden the scooter since storing it for the Winter. Each day, I've ridden a little further, and today I did both some 80 mph Interstate and some 2 lane twisties (sweeping curves, nothing too drastic). One thing kept running through my mind as I rode.

I always end up living somewhere that has Winters severe enough to require putting my bike away for several months. With the motorcycles, the first few rides in the Spring always felt a bit awkward. It took a few days - maybe even a week of riding, before I really could get back in the groove. In reflection, most of this had to do with clutch and shifting, and coordinating that with the other aspects of riding. Shift points weren't quite right, coordination of downshifting with braking was a bit off, I was focusing on the mechanics of riding much more than I should be. After about a week of riding it would all feel right again, and become more automatic. Back in the groove.

This year, I just have the scooter. Ten minutes into the first ride, it all felt right. I've really been able to enjoy these first several rides on the scooter without feeling awkward at all. It's like I never put it away. "Getting it back" was never so easy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've always had the good fortune of living where I can ride year-round. That will probably change next year, though, as I will be moving to a state that has actual winters. I don't think I will have to put the Burg into extended hibernation........although there will probably be a week here and a couple of weeks there with no riding (I'll have to learn how to deal with the withdrawal :cry: ). That's assuming I've purchased a heated vest and gloves.
As your riding time increases with more cooperative weather you'll have to give us your insights on how much you miss your V-Strom, or put another way, how the Burgman is doing in filling all of your various "wants" in a ride. I guess no one bike can do it all, but the Burgman may come closer than most.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Right on, Paul. I've had the scoot out for some fairly short jaunts (under 100 miles) a few times this winter, but the other day when I rode the DR, I felt downright clumsy, and not just on dirt/gravel, but right out there on the pavement.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts