Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Thats like pulling the 1275cc 4 out of a 1968 MGB and putting a worked 180 Horsepower Mazda 1146cc Rotary in it.

DO NOT DRIVE A MGB AT 140 MPH!!!
I'm assuming that we're all better off not asking how you know this, unless the applicable statutes of limitation have tolled. :)

Funny part is that plane started out with a half-pound NiCd battery and 100W electric motor and flew decently (for that era) on that. It was inspired by the Astro Flight Astro Sport, Leisure Wasp, and to some extent the RCM 1/2A SST (later sold as a kit by Hobby Shack).

I still have the wing somewhere in storage, having gotten halfway through adding torsional bracing to support high-speed flight before abandoning the project.

Gave up model planes because it wasn't a challenge anymore. Can't fly gas planes anywhere near where I live, and electrics got too easy to be interesting about a decade ago.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Gave up model planes because it wasn't a challenge anymore
I never got into model aircraft flying, but as a kids we used to watch a local who was.He did petrol and gliders.
Control must have been imperfect, because he would pay whoever retrieved his 'plane a half-crown! Big money to me then.
Looking at google maps now, some of those retrievals were sometimes an 8 to10 mile round trip, over open farmland. Must have been fit as a lad.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Don’t know much about the aero-modelling world.
I became friends with a guy through work (that worked on Concord’s electrics) who got very involved in design/component supply. He got hit by one of the v. large RC helicopters - opened his side up even though he was wearing a duffle coat!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yes I do...allergies have been horrible lately. There were a few other great views along the 260ish miles today but I didn't stop...☹

• Sad
Reactions: Bluestrom13

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
There's A First Time For Everything!
So they say.
Today's ride included this first for me. New highway code rules will make it necessary to give way to cyclists and pedestrians at junctions. Today it was "Give Way To.....Boats".:)

I missed the first 2 in a "convoy" of 3 narrowboats. Traffic banked a-ways back in 3 directions, but enjoyable for the novelty.
EDIT - The water level here is about 4 feet ABOVE the road level that I'm standing on. All man-made in early 1800's to connect Humber Estuary to Sheffield.
Sky Water Cloud Drawbridge Vehicle

·
Administrator
22,070 Posts
In most of USA we do not have those long narrow boats that get converted to homes. We just did not have the river canals like England.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Is that the one up toward Doncaster? New Junction Canal.

Great pic.
A couple of years ago I did a boat trip on the Manchester Ship Canal with a bunch of mates. A historic boat (not a narrow boat) with a bar and a guide explaining the history, Manchester centre to Liverpool centre.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Is that the one up toward Doncaster? New Junction Canal.
River Don Navigation according to Google Maps.
It's only the second time in my life that I've seen it raised, and the the first with traffic going under it.
Traffic was standing, so propped the scoot and got this pic. First one I got showed only a half length a ginormous thing disappearing out of shot.:confused:
It's a place called Barnby Dun. Canal runs almost thru the village. Some houses see narrow boats sailing past their UPSTAIRS windows!
Some really fun narrow lanes out to Rawcliffe Bridge and on to N.Yorks.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
River Don Navigation according to Google Maps.
Right. Same place I was thinking of then but it’s not as far along as I remembered it.
New Junction is the bit that extends the Don from there up to the Calder.

My father was born in a house overlooking the Don Navigation canal and River Don (but a less picturesque bit :) ). My great grandfather took me for walks to see various mechanical wonders when we were dumped there due to parent illness etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Some really fun narrow lanes out to Rawcliffe Bridge and on to N.Yorks.:)
Embarrassingly, I don’t know the Rawcliffe roads, I’ll add that to my list. Must have passed through heading up to Robin Hood‘s Bay etc as a sprog before the M18

Explored Selby area next door a fair bit - which for our American cousins is where George Washington’s family came from

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Embarrassingly, I don’t know the Rawcliffe roads, I’ll add that to my list. Must have passed through heading up to Robin Hood‘s Bay.
NOT the sort of roads that holiday bound traffic would use. They must pre-date the Romans, the number of bends. Also very bumpy these days, following closure of the local mines, so now suffer subsidence. Great fun to ride and master tho'.:)
Explored Selby area next door a fair bit - which for our American cousins is where George Washington’s family came from
Which reminds me that the origin of the Pilgrim Fathers is not far away from me. Will have to research that and possibly post some pics on those places sometime....

But.........Winter and short days approach. Resume next spring?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Stopped and snapped a few pics of this covered bridge in Southern Ohio whilst wandering
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Landscape

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Scioto County …you were just south of my childhood roads in Ross County.

What’s the story on this pic :
Plant Building Grass Tree Font

It looks like a silhouette of this:

People in nature Flash photography Happy Gesture Sky

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Dude sitting on a Harley with his hands on the back of his head and helmet hanging on the mirror or handle bar...just chillin in the shade...here's a clip from the original image.

People in nature Gesture Grass Art Tints and shades

Been wandering around there twice in the past 5 days. Clinton, Fayette, Pickaway, Ross, Pike, Scioto, Adams, Highland...~270ish miles round trip each ride. Looking forward to the views in a few weeks when the autumn colors emerge. Thinking about riding the SOAL on the Himy later this week or next.
Today
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

Saturday
Map World Line Atlas Slope

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
You making me home-sick….. been all over those roads.

Somebody here linked this little calculator:

Bainbridge, OH celebrates Fall Festival of Leaves every autumn and don’t forget a Pumpkin Burger at Round Town.

Be careful of the deer and the John Deere’s during harvest season …. but you already know that.

They say Dave Chappel stops in at the local pubs around Yellow Springs and Antioch College

School Moto :
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”

Used to be a big Honda Shop in Rarden, OH

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Rode ~75% of the SOAL on the Himy today. Skipped Tobe Lewis in the Southwest and the far Northeast sections, bit above my skill/experience.

Stopped at Cooperhead tower in Shawnee State Park for a photo.
Sky Helmet Plant Tree Headgear
/e

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Last Outing Of The (UK) Season?
Not exactly "Away From It All", but surely worth it? Temperatures 15 degrees C, Sunshine , and look at these.....
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Motor vehicle

That's a Ducati 350cc @ center.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

This WAS a Yamaha Virago......( I like this more ). Sounded great.

:)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Shorts

Rickman Triumph...££££ (Then)...£££££££ (Now).:)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Cloud Sky Car Tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud Sky

101 - 120 of 127 Posts