Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Life's too short.....
That’ll be the chemtrails :)

If you want, PM me and I can hook you up to air tracking so you can see what the aircraft are, and what they are up to and where they’ve been. Military fast movers, helicopters and light, not just airliners.

Where you are is a bit of a high level corridor from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead up the east side of the Peak District to pick up the major routes going north toward US and Canada

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
What JRoss said.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Near Scampton saw overhead The Red ARROW (singular) practising their formation flying.
Been out for the day for a special occasion. Got home and Red Arrows, low, in tight formation screamed west-> east directly above my house. Perfect timing as always.
(on their way home from Isle of Man) cat wasn’t expecting it and took its door flap off the hinges, current whereabouts unknown :)

edit: of the cat, the flap was about 3 ft from where it should be

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Out early today, to not sure where. So set off for the N.Y.Moors. Traffic got bad so detoured south, decided to get some pics of Humber Bridge.
I've crossed it times inumerable, but never got round to recording it. There is a dedicated viewing area. The irony is that the sun shone all day, except while I was at the bridge.
An aside story here. My daughter, when she was young, wanted me to contact the BBC to "fix-it" to walk up the support cables maintenance catwalk. For some reason I never got round to doing that.
"Opened in 1981, the Humber Bridge's 1,410-metre (4,626-foot) main span is one of the longest in the world, and it has a total length of 2,220 metres (7,283 feet). The main span is suspended between towers that rise 152 metres (500 feet) above their supporting piers."
Cloud Sky Water Electricity Overhead power line

This little fella wondered what the heck I was up to. Cute isn't he?
:)
Plant Dog Carnivore Dog breed Asphalt -- Cloud Sky Plant Wheel Tire
In Barton the church bells were peeling. I'm not religious, but stopped to marvel at the "noise". Truly amazing. And only a small church.But with history. Built in the 12th .century.
Cloud Plant Sky Building Window

·
Administrator
22,070 Posts
We had one of those bridges. November 7, 1940

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Seen that one Dave. Fearsome.
Some clever jigger-pokery went into the deck design on ours. Aero-dynamics and suchlike, I believe. Bet some-one on here might advise better.;)

·
Administrator
22,070 Posts
In the Tacoma Narrows Bridge they found that the under structure was not designed correctly and acted like a Parasail. They reused the two towers but made a thicker roadway that the wind would not try to lift like a planes wing. There are two bridges in place now, the old one and a newer one done in 2002-2007. Over 100,000 vehicles go over them every work day. The trip west bound is free to the peninsula but the return is $4.50 but will be going up soon.

Water Water resources Coastal and oceanic landforms Line Bridge

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I think the 'plane wing (inverted) thing is similar on ours -
Sky Water Line Girder bridge Suspension bridge

All vehicles pay on the Humber bridge, except motorcycles! They used to pay, but the toll was dropped after a mass protest.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Aero-dynamics and suchlike,
Aeroelastic flutter - vortices set up a pattern of regular forces downwind side of the structure, structure gains energy from the flow. Bit of a problem on aircraft where you want the wings to stay attached.
There’s a host of related effects and you see it all around ( wires whistling in the wind etc)

Next time you see a tall metal chimney - those spiral vanes on it are for vortex shedding so it doesn’t rip itself apart in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Cat has returned to normal nut-case mode, thanks :)

Don‘t want divert the thread too much but - I don’t know much about bridges/civil engineering but this is the same aeroelastic flutter in aircraft. +/- Pressure flexes a structure one way and the changed angle makes +/- switch to opposite sides driving it back and un-damped it will overshoot and self excite. This is what rips wings off rather than just the speed.

Test flight for flutter onset
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/9jcfmm

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Amazing.
The country around there is gorgeous too, but I’ve yet to see the bridge

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Cat has returned to normal nut-case mode, thanks :)

Don‘t want divert the thread too much but - I don’t know much about bridges/civil engineering but this is the same aeroelastic flutter in aircraft. +/- Pressure flexes a structure one way and the changed angle makes +/- switch to opposite sides driving it back and un-damped it will overshoot and self excite. This is what rips wings off rather than just the speed.

Test flight for flutter onset
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/9jcfmm
Glad your cat is home again!

Managed to have a scratch-built (own-design) R/C model plane develop aileron/wing torsional flex flutter once (designed for an .051ci engine, I put a .09ci engine on it). Was extra fun because the engine (Cox TD .09) didn't have a throttle...*

Had to fly it in tight circles for five minutes to keep the airspeed down until the fuel ran out.

* Oh, the TD 09 didn't have a muffler either. Or an exhaust manifold for that matter -- just exhaust ports on the cylinder sides. Pre-flight needle-valve adjustments and hand-launch really required hearing protection.

I think it did about 55 MPH in level flight on a Cox TD .051. The .09 probably pushed it past 65 in level flight, which was well outside my initial design parameters.

·
Administrator
22,070 Posts
Glad your cat is home again!

Managed to have a scratch-built (own-design) R/C model plane develop aileron/wing torsional flex flutter once (designed for an .051ci engine, I put a .09ci engine on it). Was extra fun because the engine (Cox TD .09) didn't have a throttle...*

Had to fly it in tight circles for five minutes to keep the airspeed down until the fuel ran out.

* Oh, the TD 09 didn't have a muffler either. Or an exhaust manifold for that matter -- just exhaust ports on the cylinder sides. Pre-flight needle-valve adjustments and hand-launch really required hearing protection.

I think it did about 55 MPH in level flight on a Cox TD .051. The .09 probably pushed it past 65 in level flight, which was well outside my initial design parameters.
Thats like pulling the 1275cc 4 out of a 1968 MGB and putting a worked 180 Horsepower Mazda 1146cc Rotary in it.

DO NOT DRIVE A MGB AT 140 MPH!!!

81 - 100 of 127 Posts