Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Get that Spotted Pudding out of your mind 🤣
There is a historic local delicacy “Bakewell Pudding” that only exists in a small radius around Bakewell.
(not Bakewell tart). B’Strom will understand.

Peak district is a National Park my old stomping ground (still is).
As a kid I used to set off on foot with a rucksack, bivvy and a few tins stolen from home. A walk away rather than a runaway :)
Longest was 6 weeks on my own when I was 14. Ended near Youlgreave (on B’Stroms map) because - Got into an argument with a bull in a field and hurt my leg so couldn’t walk home. Sat at a bus stop for 3 hours and finally saw a local.
when is the next bus?
What day is it?
Tuesday
Thursday then... or Monday, they run both days :)

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
They came here and got the Blues then made it Cool then sold it back to us….
We got it from black USA and sold it to white USA. Not intentionally, just the way it worked out.

It really confused us because we didn’t understand the level of segregation, separate white radio stations etc.
Brit musicians used to say “but it’s your music, how come you don’t know this song? these musicians?”
Though to be fair, we’d only heard the records to start with and not seen the musicians.

“those British boys want to play the blues real bad, and they do” :)Sonny Boy Williamson (attributed)

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
2p anywhere for under 16s on S Yorks busses :) them were’days

Never done hostels.I always camped, worked 2 jobs after school to buy 1/2 share in Vango Force 10 backpacker tent (big upgrade from a plastic sheet).
Could get off at Fox house then walk Surprise Corner down into Hathersage.
Use a proper campsite now and again for a proper shower, then back into the undergrowth :)
Good times

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Can I stop you at “hot day” and “Derbyshire” :)
(the joke probably doesn’t travel

Just joshing, the joke probably doesn’t travel well.
You only get up to 2000 ft ish but really exposed and infamous for bad weather.
The high streams are cold and fairly clear but most run through peat so they are dark brown...and it’s also sheep country :(
The water rots leather boots really fast too.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Snap!
I once climbed Dungeon Ghyll, (a series of waterfalls in the Lake District, set in a narrow gulley) spent a couple of hours completely soaked through, all my gear on my back and swallowing water.
Got to the pool at the top to find I was eye to non-eye with a really weird face - a half submerged decayed sheep.

I don’t think I unwrapped my sandwiches that day.

A lot funnier now than it was then :)

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
I had an army stores canvass rucksack too.
Replaced with a massive Karrimor “American style”;frame job because I thought a bed roll on the bottom would make me look cool. :) Turns out they are great for splints and makeshift stretchers but a pain to live with.

When I think back to the weight we carried (ex-army boots, wool jumpers, tent poles and tinned food) I bet it’s more than 6 people’s gear today.

I remember my first pint of Thwaites Old Peculiar at some place in Edale.
But drank it (and several of its friends) before pitching my tent, stupidly decided that I’d put it up the tent in a dip where it would be sheltered.

The dip was a run off channel from Mam Tor. Woke up a bit chilly to find my boots and all my kit floating at the foot end of the tent. :) A miserable hike over the top next day squelching and blistering

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Soaking in it is a sheep dip.
Literally.

Bakewell is a very old town. A medieval bridge to its west has stonework that forms 2 enclosed platforms. One upstream, one downstream at water level. Each has an open doorway to the water.
They look like staging for boats but you couldn’t use a boat there.

I puzzled over them for a really long time until somebody explained - you throw the sheep in at the upstream one and drag them out at the downstream one.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
The church site is over a thousand years old but goes way back. Some hints of the old religions remain, “Well dressings” based on sacred springs and “underworld” boundaries.

I like the pre-history stuff, Stone Age circles and arbor low etc.

There are deep caverns with a long human history, people living and working in them until a 100/200 or so years ago.
One goes under the hill Peveril Castle sits on. It was called “ the Devil’s Arse” :) because the stream inside runs through a natural air pocket trap. The deep rumblings filtered up to the castle - convincing people it was haunted or cursed.

My dad’s ashes are somewhere in the ravine outside that cavern, possibly not a coincidence.

The old rope making equipment is still inside (I’ve used it during a demonstration. Great for kids as they are used as the weight to tension the winding and get dragged along the floor on a sled. Really tiny workers sleeping shelters in there too.

(this is all north of Bakewell, around Castleton)

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Yikes,the rope makers were there until around 1915, thats later than I thought.
They must have been tough cookies.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Also Robin Hood
Hathersage, near Castleton has Little John’s Grave :)
(I’ve not actually spoken to him personally but it’s a huge grave and it’s supposed to be his)

Robbin of Loxley which is a place you go through heading from Hathersage to Sheffield (it was the sherif that was from Nottingham, Robin was a Yorkshireman no matter what they claim in notts.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
I like Whitby (also of Dracula fame)

Fylingdales was weird wasn’t it. As a kid it was really exciting to catch a glimpse.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Vango Force 10. The legend. lol.
yeah.
Mine was the small sloppy Mk2. The thing was bulletproof. Had to share the cost with a mate and it still cleared my piggy-bank.

Cursed it a few times carrying it on my own when all the lightweight stuff started coming out.
Sold it several years later for more than we paid for it new.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Young foxes all leave home around the same time heading for new territories and the road deaths go up.
Wonder if it’s the same for badgers?

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
When I was a kid me and my brother spent a lot of time in the sand dunes north of Mablethorpe and sneaked into the bombing range to watch Phantoms and Jaguars doing there stuff.

Myxomatosis was rife and blinded rabbits would just walk right into you and dead ones strewn all over. It was horrible.
There were sand lizards their back then but I think they are extinct on that coast now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts