Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is a historic local delicacy “Bakewell Pudding” that only exists in a small radius around Bakewell.
(not Bakewell tart). B’Strom will understand.
(y)

As a kid I used to set off on foot with a rucksack, bivvy and a few tins stolen from home.
I joined the YHA (Youth Hostels Association) when I was 13. Walked Derbyshire Hills and Moorland every other weekend or so.
In those days you had to be a walker or cyclist to qualify for accomodation in their hostels. To-day they are B+Bs.
Hitched rides from S.Yorks into Derbyshire. Local bus when pushed for time. Bus rides were cheap in those days, weren't they?

Not connected to Derbyshire, but to my time in YHA is a story of a weekend in Lincoln.
Say "Lincolnshire", and people think of flat landscape, yes? But Lincoln itself stands on a hill. And myself and a good friend were caught SPEEDING down that hill... on a tandem!
Got off with a severe talking-to.

Happy days....:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The high streams are cold and fairly clear but most run through peat so they are dark brown...and it’s also sheep country
Yuk.
I wish that I could forget, but cannot. Drank from a stream not bathed in, Turds not the problem. Dead lamb 1/2 mile UPsteam was.
I'm still here, but the nightmare at the time!:sick:......Lesson learned.

And it doesn't matter what the weather man says, it's always 10 deg colder in Buxton than anywhere else.:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I once climbed Dungeon Ghyll, (a series of waterfalls in the Lake District, set in a narrow gulley)
Snap squared.
I've done that one.
And if you're ever up Helvellyn and find a pair of spectacles, they are mine. Wind blew the things off my face.
We used to walk in those days with cycling capes on if it was wet, to cover body and (canvas) rucksack. Cape was totally waterproof, but my paper money was totalled.
Crikey, it was years ago, and seems like last week.
:) :)
One of the coldest winters I ever saw was a summer in Buxton
Had a seasonal tourer pitch up there for 2 summers. Had to leave. Couldn't keep pace with the Calor gas.:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Out for more "therapy" today - went North instead of West. These views taken less than a mile from one of my favourite bike stops. Some of the best genuine homebaking in Yorkshire.
Had to watch the traffic tho' :)

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Asphalt
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Highland

From there went North again, thru Malton to Whitby (of Captain Cook fame). On the way there, the road passes Fylingdale Early Warning Station. The new set-up looks quite bland. As a youth , the old "Golf Ball" structures always seemed eery, especially on a misty morning. Shades of Dr. Who.
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Horizon

Cloud Sky Building Slope Grass
Sky Natural environment Biome Landscape Horizon
New and old structures. It's obviously a restricted area, so stock photos.

210 miles in the day. Enjoyed it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just got in from a day out in LIncolnshire. Glorious weather all day.
Did notice quite a few dead Badgers (Brocks). At least 5. Never used to see any at all, them being nocturnal, and me not so.
I must do some digging and find if the culling program we have is a quick "wham - you're out" or the Myxomatosis style slow death of rabbits, where you found the poor creatures almost begging for the death stroke.
(Badgers apparantly spread TB to cattle. Innoculation has been suggested, but many are against that).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
No pics with this one, just a story.

Stopped for fuel on yesterdays travels, and as I was leaving the shop (often pay inside in UK), a group of bikers pulled in. Followed by a police bike.
Two of the bikes were re-fuelling. The Cop approached one of them. (OK I'm nosey - I wanted to see what his problem was).
Seems the kid's number (License) plate was too small.
But instead of being suitably chastised, and promising to get it fixed, he blurts out: - "Well if that's f****ing illegal, what about theirs" (His mates). .....
What.!!!?? I couldn't believe it.
So several more tickets were issued.

I think he might have ridden home on his own. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
.are not license plates standard issue there?
Yes, regulation size. Acquired by dealer for a new bike. Replacements are now available at fewer sources than in the past, on production of registration document ("log book") and proof of I.D.
(To help stop falsifying etc)
But they are still available from anywhere - "for custom and show bikes",+"for off-road use only.:unsure: ..Usually accompanied by LOUD exhaust, and rider with unmarked knee sliders.
Our police are, by and large, fairly tolerant, but sometimes have "talking too" campaigns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit - ADDED Pic and further comment.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

These are listed as "novelty" , "Show style" - Used to call them "Bobby Dodgers" (Too small for Traffic Cameras to pick up).
More like fly-paper, attracting unwanted attention.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
But did you see any good road signs?
Only the one ...(that was of any interest)..
Nature Font Wall Wood Landmark

This is one of the shortest streets in York and is said to have gotten its name from a local custom of whipping small yelping dogs.
OR
However, some say the origins of Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma are actually supposed to mean “Neither One Thing Nor Another.”
In the Middle Ages, it was the location of the city’s whipping post and stocks, which could also possibly account for the “Whip” part of the name.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts