Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Get that Spotted Pudding out of your mind 🤣
There is a historic local delicacy “Bakewell Pudding” that only exists in a small radius around Bakewell.
(not Bakewell tart). B’Strom will understand.

Peak district is a National Park my old stomping ground (still is).
As a kid I used to set off on foot with a rucksack, bivvy and a few tins stolen from home. A walk away rather than a runaway :)
Longest was 6 weeks on my own when I was 14. Ended near Youlgreave (on B’Stroms map) because - Got into an argument with a bull in a field and hurt my leg so couldn’t walk home. Sat at a bus stop for 3 hours and finally saw a local.
when is the next bus?
What day is it?
Tuesday
Thursday then... or Monday, they run both days :)

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
They came here and got the Blues then made it Cool then sold it back to us….
We got it from black USA and sold it to white USA. Not intentionally, just the way it worked out.

It really confused us because we didn’t understand the level of segregation, separate white radio stations etc.
Brit musicians used to say “but it’s your music, how come you don’t know this song? these musicians?”
Though to be fair, we’d only heard the records to start with and not seen the musicians.

“those British boys want to play the blues real bad, and they do” :)Sonny Boy Williamson (attributed)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is a historic local delicacy “Bakewell Pudding” that only exists in a small radius around Bakewell.
(not Bakewell tart). B’Strom will understand.
(y)

As a kid I used to set off on foot with a rucksack, bivvy and a few tins stolen from home.
I joined the YHA (Youth Hostels Association) when I was 13. Walked Derbyshire Hills and Moorland every other weekend or so.
In those days you had to be a walker or cyclist to qualify for accomodation in their hostels. To-day they are B+Bs.
Hitched rides from S.Yorks into Derbyshire. Local bus when pushed for time. Bus rides were cheap in those days, weren't they?

Not connected to Derbyshire, but to my time in YHA is a story of a weekend in Lincoln.
Say "Lincolnshire", and people think of flat landscape, yes? But Lincoln itself stands on a hill. And myself and a good friend were caught SPEEDING down that hill... on a tandem!
Got off with a severe talking-to.

Happy days....:)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
I joined Youth Hostels when I was 40 🤣 with my cotton sleep sack.

Spent a partial week in Glastonbury UK….just to the left of the hostel is a centuries old pub
with it’s own old one lane bowling alley.

Did a couple nights smack downtown in old Victoria BC…….

Did a couple nights in San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf….

I wish I’d known about it when I was 13 and didn’t snore so loud 🤣
Not kidding about the snoring but I always get a private room
I wouldn’t want to wake up with everyone’s shoes.

Note…just a one night stay at Fisherman’s Wharf the savings will pay for your yearly membership.

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
2p anywhere for under 16s on S Yorks busses :) them were’days

Never done hostels.I always camped, worked 2 jobs after school to buy 1/2 share in Vango Force 10 backpacker tent (big upgrade from a plastic sheet).
Could get off at Fox house then walk Surprise Corner down into Hathersage.
Use a proper campsite now and again for a proper shower, then back into the undergrowth :)
Good times

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Use a proper campsite now and again for a proper shower, then back into the undergrowth :)
Good times
Same here...we love to tent camp but still have to have a shower every couple days. Or at least a secluded creek spot for soaking in.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Mountain streams here can be pretty cold, too, but usually feels nice after a hot day hiking up and down the hills.

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Can I stop you at “hot day” and “Derbyshire” :)
(the joke probably doesn’t travel

Just joshing, the joke probably doesn’t travel well.
You only get up to 2000 ft ish but really exposed and infamous for bad weather.
The high streams are cold and fairly clear but most run through peat so they are dark brown...and it’s also sheep country :(
The water rots leather boots really fast too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The high streams are cold and fairly clear but most run through peat so they are dark brown...and it’s also sheep country
Yuk.
I wish that I could forget, but cannot. Drank from a stream not bathed in, Turds not the problem. Dead lamb 1/2 mile UPsteam was.
I'm still here, but the nightmare at the time!:sick:......Lesson learned.

And it doesn't matter what the weather man says, it's always 10 deg colder in Buxton than anywhere else.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Snap!
I once climbed Dungeon Ghyll, (a series of waterfalls in the Lake District, set in a narrow gulley) spent a couple of hours completely soaked through, all my gear on my back and swallowing water.
Got to the pool at the top to find I was eye to non-eye with a really weird face - a half submerged decayed sheep.

I don’t think I unwrapped my sandwiches that day.

A lot funnier now than it was then :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts