minature Harley that does about 30 and found that I love riding. I
have compared the Burman 650, 400, and the Silverwing. I did not like
the Silverwing and decided to go Burgman. I like the looks of the 400
better and like the smaller size. My plan is to get my wife to start
riding and I like I would have a better chance with the 400. I rarely
plan to ride on the freeway but know that the 400 should hack
it.Would like to know opinions on getting one and comparisons with
the 650. Am curious as to how many miles you guys think the 400 is
good for. Should I expect it to hold up for years?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Dond welcome to the Burgman site!
So your considering a Burger huh! Well since you have little bike experience, possibly want your wife to learn to ride it , don't plan on much highway riding and you seem to like the looks of the 400, I say go with the 400 :D It will do everything you want it to do. I like the Burgmans over the Silverwings myself. I ride the 650. I havent riden the 400 so I cant really offer a comparison for you. What I can tell you is, Suzuki has tuned these engines to generate there power and torque at lower RPMs. They dont REV like the sportbikes do. The 400's have been around for several years in Europe and I havent found really anything to suggest that there is any problems with them mechanically. IMHO I dont see any problems getting 100,000kms on my 650 with regular maintenance done.
I can also tell you that the 650 at highway speeds of 100km to 130 km revs around the 4000rpm-5000rpm area (from memory not exact so dont hold me to the figures). My point is the engine is'nt screaming, therefore engine longevity (IMO). I think you will be extremely happy with whatever Burgman you choose. Goodluck in your hunt!

·
Registered
308 Posts
the Burgman 400 is what you need ... along with an MSF course for both you and your wife. I could think of no better way to get started with motorcycle riding. Since you won't be doing a lot of freeway miles, the 400 is the way!

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
snake eyes

When I sat on both the 400 and 650 at the dealer, the 400 let me set both feet down flat on the ground while fully seated. This is important while parking because when your feet encounter grease spots in parking lots and intersections the bike can slip away.
If you're strong and careful enough, the 650 is technologically superiour. The $2,000 savings on a 400 versus 650 is another factor.
Sometimes rolling dice works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts