Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Suddenly, nobody wants to talk about police stats anymore :)

Anyway -
“Maybe” some people apply a simplistic assumption of the BLM name/slogan and confuse that for the organisations manifesto - for others it’s intentional

BLM “didn’t seem” to campaigns on inner city violence - because it’s a campaign against police conduct on race.

BLM “didn’t seem” to address unemployment - because it’s a campaign against police conduct on race.

BLM don’t use the slogan “All lives matter” - because it’s a campaign against police conduct on race.

Motorcycle campaigners don’t seem to campaign about submarine crew facilities either.

It’s sad to see the tu quoque and strawman comments on BLM repeated here as it’s the same thing seen on white supremacist sites and doesn’t deserve spreading.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
african proverb,,"if you pick up one end of a stick , you pick up both ends of the stick. and i add "and also the middle of the stick"
We're doing plenty of talking, I hope it is accompanied by a little action other than on this forum.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
You were already enlightened several posts ago.
Dan gave the stat (except it showed the opposite of what the post said It did)

In 2019, there were 9 unarmed black people killed by the police. In 2019 there were 19 unarmed white people killed by the police.”
The problem is that black people make up only 13% of the population - so rather than show there isn’t a problem it confirms there is, because 9 is not close to 13% of 19

Adjusted to account for population difference the raw numbers look very different
30 deaths per million v only 12 for whites.

Police shootings: rate by ethnicity U.S. 2015-2020 | Statista

All the scatter gun comments are just excuses to deny that and not address it.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
So why are we setting fires to businesses and destroying neighborhoods over an issue that is statistically almost zero? .
This sentence is why.
This thinking guarantees it will happen again.

It reshapes the issue into something that can be downplayed and denied And then tells people what their problem is instead of listening.
If you do that to people they will be angry and unable to benefit from normal justice via any official channel and will strike out in other ways - then some will take advantage to carry out violence.

Their issue isn’t “statistically almost zero” even if the one you choose was.
In my lifetime they were not allowed to use the same toilet as everybody else and adults and children were lynched which sets the background. Constant smaller injusticeS have gone on since then.
Leading up to recent events, various LEO were found to be members of KKK and similar organisations that are specifically white supremacists but no major actions were put in place, officers sacked for racial misconduct were simply rehired elsewhere, Charlottesville happened, church shootings and burnings, voting stations have been closed in majority black areas To make it harder to vote, police were told “don’t be too careful when you arrest these people etc etc too long to list.

Then the Floyd video happened, it’s a last straw, not a sole issue.

So where do you go to if the powers that be have told the police to get rough on people they arrest And they do?Who will listen?
Nobody so all you can do is go after what they value to get a reaction and/or seek vengeance.

Policing, law enforcement etc is incredibly difficult and dangerous.
My section didn’t do front line patrols or public order but I have been on traffic stops, investigations and support for covert operations. With that limited contact 2 colleagues were killed and another left for dead in a ditch but survived.
At the same time, some officers were racist in language and actions.

Obviously shootings are much rarer here on mainland UK than US.

For what it’s worth there was a study that showed black officers in the US drew and used their weapon less often than white colleagues. I don’t think they worked out why.

Edit: removed colleagues’ cause of death to avoid identifying them.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
The Seattle 'CHOP' is now closed down. At 4:52 AM the Seattle police started clearing 2 blocks at a time. They moved the mostly squatting homeless encampments out. By noon most of the tents and trash has been hauled away.

For weeks the BLM group has been saying that most of the CHOP was not related and were just squatters using the movement as cover. In the videos this morning the mostly white protesters were moved back.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Just a little Pepper spray on a couple protesters that were spitting on and punching cops. 1 rubber/beanbag round to a protester the was swinging a stick at police.

Overall, the cops with the mountain bike moving barrier works well until the protesters start throwing stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Watch this story and claim you free Iphone or Nike’s ...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Arming park rangers seems to have been pretty controversial from the few conversations I’ve had.
Some rangers were for it and others resisted it.

Unregulated way back, then unarmed, then hidden handguns, then M16’s.
They got in hot water in the 60’s for illegal behaviour because they were asked to do stuff they weren’t really trained for back then.

It’s a slightly alien discussion when our cops aren’t even routinely armed over here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So why are we setting fires to businesses and destroying neighborhoods over an issue that is statistically almost zero?
This sentence is why.
This thinking guarantees it will happen again.
Thinking that that kind of thinking will cause it to happen again, will get someone killed WHEN THEY COMBAT AGAINST LAW ENFORCEMENT.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Arming park rangers seems to have been pretty controversial from the few conversations I’ve had.
Some rangers were for it and others resisted it.

Unregulated way back, then unarmed, then hidden handguns, then M16’s.
They got in hot water in the 60’s for illegal behaviour because they were asked to do stuff they weren’t really trained for back then.

It’s a slightly alien discussion when our cops aren’t even routinely armed over here.
Our city has a lot of parks so they decided to dress the police as Park Rangers with Zebra SUVs to create a more Family Friendly atmosphere.

It doesn’t mater what trade you get in ...it’s always Us against the Dumb Customers .....If mattress salesmen carried guns there would be dead people under the beds.

(in a different time that would have been a good Monty Python sketch)

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Thinking that that kind of thinking will cause it to happen again, will get someone killed WHEN THEY COMBAT AGAINST LAW ENFORCEMENT.
regardless of whatever special group they belong to.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Our city has a lot of parks so they decided to dress the police as Park Rangers with Zebra SUVs to create a more Family Friendly atmosphere.
Over here National Park Rangers might carry a Leatherman at the most, and a chainsaw in the vehicle.

Some cities have a motorcycle mounted “Park Patrol” who only have their bikes tool kit.
They move nuisance kids along, watch for littering, druggies and teens up to no good. Hand out fines to dog owners who let there dogs foul the paths.

Playing cat and mouse with them was a popular sport when I was a 10 yr old kid but we never did anything that would cause harm.
Unfortunately they do occasionally become a target for BB guns, bottles and wires strung along the path.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
It's called self defense. Here in Texas we wouldn't need to arm Park Rangers,We arm ourselves. We don't even need to hide our hand guns, it's legal here to open carry.

It's the American way!

Sorry bub, but this is in Round Rock, Texas it was one of the three safest cities in the U.S. until they started advertising it ;)

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
We had the Big Mouths saying it’s more important to demonstrate than protect yourself from the Killer Virus ... now the numbers are spiking ? Someone needs to be held accountable.
I suppose it's just a "coincidence" that half of the new COVID-19 cases detected in recent weeks have been in adults under 35 the same demographics as the protesters. .

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Its a very long time since I did weapons or close combat training but I’d want to close the gap.
But maybe we are focusing on the wrong person for some reason?
flee a knife, charge a gun, this makes combat much more fun, (Parris Island)

Reactions: Bluebottle

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I suppose it's just a "coincidence" that half of the new COVID-19 cases detected in recent weeks have been in adults under 35 the same demographics as the protesters. .
It’s a good job people in that age group don’t go to bars and parties when states open up, or refuse to wear masks or there might be a real problem coming.

Protesters will have caused some spread, the geographical data shows a bigger story.
(Even mask use seems to be a bizare battleground)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm beginning to understand why our forefathers (the one's with the big balls and large intelligence, that passed those attributes down to current Americans), risked their lives to cross a mighty ocean on such low tech ocean conveyance (compared to current technology). God Bless Christopher Columbus and all the ones that signed the Declaration of Independence!

121 - 140 of 201 Posts