Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing out my Crank Position Sensor and Stator and have run into a problem.
In attempting to re-install the generator cover I have been unable to make it fit. I even went as far as to attempt to dry fit it without the stator assembly and it still will not align correctly. The gap is approximately 1/2 inch all the way around. It's as if the end of the crankshaft is not fitting into the bearing in the cover. I also attempted some persuasion with a rubber mallet and got nowhere. I can get the bottom three (or so) bolts in but it places a lot of stress on the cover to attempt to continue placing bolts around the cover which is clearly not aligned or seating. I've been staring at this for the last couple of hours so any input will be welcome.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Can you post any pictures?

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can.
What photos would help?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Anything you think might help someone else figure out what is wrong. ;)

It's something simple. When I adjusted my valves, the bike was "broken" for over a week. In my case, it turns out I had swapped two sensor plugs. It'll be something simple on yours too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
1/2 inch is a long way, about the width of a bearing is there a bearing that seats in the cover or shaft
that enters into one in the cover? cant remember what is in there ,

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't believe there are any bearings in that area. There are a couple of guide pins that would be the right length if they are not aligned just right.

My experience has been that many times things that were assembled do not seem to go back togehter. If I fiddle with them, some thing magical happens and they suddenly slide where before they would not.

Make sure the pins, ref #24,(I expect they are located where i placed the red cicles) are not binding.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, ya I guess it could be the pin alignment....there is a bearing that is pressed into the cover as well ....also another gear drive shaft that meets up with the cover.
Very frustrating.
Guess I just need a 1/2 inch thick gasket LOL.

Chatman, where is that graphic from?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but here's a scan of page 1J-7 in the 07 service manual.

[attachment=0:2ufi5bqd]Capture.JPG[/attachment:2ufi5bqd]

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, thanks Chris. That's the page I'm working off of.
Love that line: "Install the generator cover"
ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update and Culmination:

Okay, it's fixed and I'm back on the road.
First, thanks to everyone who attempted to help me here on the board.
Second, if anyone is faced with doing this repair in the future; don't hesitate to contact me for my input.
Third: as far as Chatman's "magic" happening....turns out the "magic" was a bigger hammer :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Glad you got it back togehter.

Chatman's second rule of mechnical apparati: If you push hard enough, everything fits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts