Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new 650 (or ANY vehicle?) a couple questions come to mind.

-My torque wrench is a 3/8 drive reading 10-75 Ft Pounds. I see tranny plug that needs to read only 8 ft pounds etc. Is it safe to just use a standard socket set and "SNUGG" the drain plug down to a "sensible" feeling level? Should I use a wratchet that is 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2" drive?

-If I buy a new torque wrench that goes down to 5 ft pounds, if I use an "extension", do I need to adjust the torque setting to allow for "LOSS" due to the extension used?

-ALWAYS used Loctite on all my V Twins an ALL motor configurations for that matter. Now I have read to NEVER use it on a Scooter????? True?

I'll probably find even more DUMB questions, but afraid I'll get bootef off the board if I dare ask! Thanks for any feedback, Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
-ALWAYS used Loctite on all my V Twins an ALL motor configurations for that matter. Now I have read to NEVER use it on a Scooter????? True?
Why not? I don't put it on everything, but if I have a bolt that tends to loosen up or go missing - a dab of Loctite Blue seems to be called for. I have it in a couple of places right now.

I'm curious where you read that, and what the reason given was...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Why not? I don't put it on everything, but if I have a bolt that tends to loosen up or go missing - a dab of Loctite Blue seems to be called for. I have it in a couple of places right now.

I'm curious where you read that, and what the reason given was...
Well, I have LIVED by Blue Loctite but read this just tonight:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Suz ... sage/12371

There are "other" referances in the thread but this at least links you to the "area". THIS is the kind of new "scooter info" that has spun my old ass out on doing routine/simple maintenance. Afraid I'm breaking some kind of Scooter God rule or something??????

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
748 Posts
Pappy,

I think he is referring to screw & bolts that hold plastic panels not metal to metal ...

Greg ...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg said:
Pappy,

I think he is referring to screw & bolts that hold plastic panels not metal to metal ...

Greg ...
I sure hope so. Never heard of such a thing before but nuerotic with this new scooter. ANOTHER THING. MY Loctite Blue "COMES" in a plastic container! Never ate MY container? :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
ANOTHER THING. MY Loctite Blue "COMES" in a plastic container! Never ate MY container? :D
There are about a bazzilion varieties of plastic. Just read the labels on the 192 different varieties of plastic wonder glue at your local Ace hardware store... Well, I never did count EXACTLY how many varieties there are, but there are many. And when I tried to repair the fractured plastic tab on my scoot's lower leg shield - none of the 3 wonder glues I tried would bond on that variety of plastic. Had to use JB Weld. Most of the glues come in plastic tubes too...

So, I guess they just use a varirty of plastic for the container that doesn't "taste good" to Loctite Blue. Yep. That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Stormsteed said:
Pappy said:
-If I buy a new torque wrench that goes down to 5 ft pounds, if I use an "extension", do I need to adjust the torque setting to allow for "LOSS" due to the extension used?
Logic tells me no. I'm curious to know the answer, too.

My Suzuki Motorcycles ALL used the softest SUBstandard bolts ever made by man! Hence, my nuerosis. Well, that and poor family planning my my folks part.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts