Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will soon be time for me to get the 600 mile service for my 650 exec and wanted to check with you guys as to what you paid for your first service at a Suzuki dealer. I've seen one member that posted that they paid $500 for that first service and that seemed pretty steep for a 650, considering that they are only changing the oils and making minor adjustments.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I would inquire specifically on what they do for the cost of the service. If all they do is change the oil and filter, then it is a waste of your money. On the 400, if they do what they are supposed to do, they need to remove body panels to get to the bolts called out in the service manual for the 600 mile service. Then the price is a little more reasonable. But chances are, even if they say they will...they won't.

LeDude has some excellent tutorials that will walk you through step by step on how to do just about anything on the bike. I suggest looking through those and see just how simple it is...then go do it. It'll make you more familiar with your ride and save you money to buy farkles with.

Chris

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Does doing the service on your own do anything to negate the warranty if you should have one?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Bakeisback said:
Does doing the service on your own do anything to negate the warranty if you should have one?
No, Federal consumer protection laws (see the FTC website here) expressly prohibit manufacturer's from doing that.

It is a good idea to keep the receipts for the maintenance products (oil, belts, brake pads, etc.) you purchase, and write the date and mileage they were installed/used on each receipt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just had my 600 mile oil change done, 200 dollars, but in looking at the itemized list i see they didn't change trans or final gear oil, this is listed as a change at 600 miles, but i was more interested in the fact that they checked the fasteners for any that might have loosened in break in. they had the bike in the shop 2 1/2 hrs, hopefully they removed tupperware and checked everything required.
erv

·
Registered
562 Posts
I got lucky and Sean offered to come over and help me with my first service, he actually pretty much did it for me while I asked alot of questions afterwards while treating him to lunch.

However I did check around and it was all over the board with some places wanting 150.00 and it went all the way up to 270.00

With Seans help we got it done ourselves and cost of the materials was around 70.00, used a full syn oil and gear lube.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
One other consideration. While they may charge you for services rendered...who knows whether they knew what they were doing?

I have a friend who had his 2007 400 serviced by the local Powersports dealership. From what I've seen, I doubt I'll ever take my Burgman there again. It was obvious to me that they didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not a mechanic. But I can use the tutorials we have here and do just about anything on the bike. The hardest part is starting.

Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
This year, my first 600 mile service quote for my Burgman 650 L1 was £286! ($430) from a large Suzuki dealer at £60 ($90) per hour. Another smaller Suzuki dealer with one mechanic eventually did the whole service for only £122 ($183).
Due to a sticking wing mirror switch, I recently have had my whole left hand switch assembly replaced under warranty by the said large dealer. Whilst there I asked what my 1st year 4000 mile service would cost. This time even more expensive at £303 ($455).
They gave me their official Suzuki quotation report complete with the 650 service information (It shows K7\K8 but it is the same for all later models to date. If you notice the actual hours chargeable are at the bottom of the service schedule. So on this occasion it's 4.2 hours at £60ph plus parts, but they are charging 4.4 hours according to their quote.
Although 25 miles away, I'll be going back to my small, 1 mechanic Suzuki dealership again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had my 600 mile service done by the dealer and it was 170.00. They did not tighten the engine oil drain plug to specs as a couple of days later I had a leak. Tightened the plug to specs and no leaks since. They also way over filled the rear wheel drive housing and also over filled the transmission. I took the plug out of the file hole on the drive train and oil ran out for about 10 seconds did the same procedure on the transmission and oil ran out for about 3 seconds. So having it done at the dealership did not prove to be worth the 170.00 they charge. I did several oil changes on my 04 650 and never had a problem so I will be doing my own from now on.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
MrWick said:
I had my 600 mile service done by the dealer and it was 170.00. They did not tighten the engine oil drain plug to specs as a couple of days later I had a leak. Tightened the plug to specs and no leaks since. They also way over filled the rear wheel drive housing and also over filled the transmission. I took the plug out of the file hole on the drive train and oil ran out for about 10 seconds did the same procedure on the transmission and oil ran out for about 3 seconds. So having it done at the dealership did not prove to be worth the 170.00 they charge. I did several oil changes on my 04 650 and never had a problem so I will be doing my own from now on.
its this kind of thing that almost made me not buy the extended warranty. i figured if something broke, they wouldnt know how to fix it anyway! LOL. but i bought it anyway. there is ONE tech here that does have some skills. but if he leaves, im screwed.

but as far as ordinary maitenance goes, i can do that myself with no problem. due to this site, i have more knowledge of the burgman than 99% of the techs around here anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my 600 mile check up today. Labor was 70 dollars an hour at 4 hours plus "parts". I chose the synthetic oil. Evidently that alone cost 55 bucks! They should have just told me I needed a new Johnson rod!!!!! They then told me each additional service will be the same price or more. Hey le dude!!!! I think I'll be following your tutorials. I'll send you a cut if I'm successful!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As an aside, when I asked why it was so expensive he said if I was going to ride in luxury, you're going to pay for it. I said "well, I guess I need to trade". He said so, are you building up to learn how to ride a motorcycle? I said no! I know how to ride one, man. I don't WANT to ride one!!!!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I did mine myself, and recorded what I used with dates, accurate mileage, and scanned the receipts, so I can build up an accurate service history.

Tota cost was about $60, and it was a rewarding experience, with what I learned.......and though it does go wiothout saying, I'll say it here anyway, the forum, knowledgebase, and Le Dude's site were invaluable tools in saving time and heartache getting it done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just had my 1st year 4000 mile service today and cost only £115 ($172) from the same excellent Suzuki dealer that did my 600 mile for £122 ($183). I stood and chatted to the mechanic through the whole process and the full schedule service was done. The hardest part was the 2x plug removal for inspection, although it's a simple process. I also asked to have a new oil filter fitted as the schedule does not call for a new one until 11,000 mile! If you change oil then in my opinion a new filter may as well be fitted. He even stripped my rear caliper as I said it was making a slight noise.

The whole process was about 1½ hours at £60 ($90) labour, so the Suzuki 4.2 hour is a total rip off for the end user.
Sadly though the mechanic informed me that as of next month they have rejected the Suzuki dealership and they are the second oldest in the UK dating from the 60s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 400 600 mile service total cost $46.04 2 gaskets 1 filter,engine oil 2 perf 4 10w40 qt change oil & filter, check tire pressure,check exhaust mounts. suzuki dealer. Hope this helps Don

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
saldutti said:
As an aside, when I asked why it was so expensive he said if I was going to ride in luxury, you're going to pay for it. I said "well, I guess I need to trade". He said so, are you building up to learn how to ride a motorcycle? I said no! I know how to ride one, man. I don't WANT to ride one!!!!
That is MR Motorcycles attitude plus they have bad customer service. I dont even by my filters from them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've just paid U$ 124 to my local suzuki dealer. changed oil and oil filter, checked transmission and chassis bolts. at least thats what they told me. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
fernando said:
I've just paid U$ 124 to my local suzuki dealer. changed oil and oil filter, checked transmission and chassis bolts. at least thats what they told me. ;)
yep thats what they said, now it's your skin. take it out on the road at 60 mph/100kph and wonder did they really check the torque on the pinch bolts on the front axle? is your handlebar really attached to your forks? or did you just pay someone to tell you they are ok without even looking

do it yourself and save the money and know it was done and done right

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've been told by some one who worked at a dealership in the service department , that the 600 mile check up was a scam . If indeed there was some thing wrong , chances are they wouldn't see it even if they were looking right at it . :lol:

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts