Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my 650 Burgman and am thrilled with the performance and room but the seat was killing me. I just finished installing a gel/memory foam insert. I will just let the pictures do the "splainen" as Ricky Ricardo used to say:
View attachment 24465 Original Seat
View attachment 24473 Cross section of gel insert, 1/2" gel 1/2" memory foam
View attachment 24481 Rough cut of insert
View attachment 24489 Traced outline and then put grid on.
View attachment 24497 High speed metal saw, worked pretty good, set at 7/8" cut
View attachment 24505 pulled out foam while cutting with razor blade.
View attachment 24513 very rough looking
View attachment 24529 used this to grind out down to the cut lines and smooth out. Worked very good, after getting the fit just right I then placed the insert in, covered with a piece of 1/4" smoothing foam, sorry I didn't take a picture. I trimmed the smoothing foam to stop at the sewn cover seams and then replaced the original seat cover. I only removed the part of the cover that gave me access to the rider seat, the pillion section was left intact.
View attachment 24521 Finished seat back on bike. Took it for a short 20 minute ride and it was very comfortable, I will have to wait for a longer test ride to really get a feel for the new seat, but so far nice.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great job!
I did this on my last bike, a Honda NC700X and it made a massive difference.
I am thinking about doing the same on my 400
I tried an Airhawk which was very comfortable, but I didn't like the feeling of the pad moving about underneath me.
Made the scoot feel twitchy :(

Andy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Norm, I've got my old Airhawk on my 650 now (3rd bike for it and I had to fix a valve failure). You probably had it overinflated if you were moving around on it. It works best with just enough air in it to spread your load, not to feel any floating sensation. That is much less air than most people try.

That gel/foam modification looks well done!

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
I did the same with my seat, passenger and rider. Made a big difference.

Nice job.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heated Seat.

Hope this ain't a daft question but is it possible to carry out this improvement on the heated seat variant.

Geoff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Norm, I've got my old Airhawk on my 650 now (3rd bike for it and I had to fix a valve failure). You probably had it overinflated if you were moving around on it. It works best with just enough air in it to spread your load, not to feel any floating sensation. That is much less air than most people try.
I tried every variation from overinflated to flat but didnt like any.
I shall have to give it another try.....

Andy

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Love that installation. Is it safe to assume that there is plenty of extra vinyl (that is stapled underneath) to accommodate the extra foam? Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The heating pad should go on the top and not interfere with the padding.

If the padding is flush with the rest of the seat, the cover will go back over and can be stapled on with no problem.

I am curious as to how much that gel pad and foam cost? Most gel pads you see are not that large.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love that installation. Is it safe to assume that there is plenty of extra vinyl (that is stapled underneath) to accommodate the extra foam? Thanks for sharing this with us.
Plenty of extra, that was not a problem at all. There wasn't any extra foam really, the insert set level with the original foam and the smoothing foam is only 1/8 to 1/4 in thickness and it flattens out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the insert from onlygel.com. It was the conformax tr series in the med-large size for $63 bucks shipped. That size is plenty big for the burgman and I had to cut it down to size. Came with a 24 x 24 inch piece of smoothing foam.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So Loadtoad what's the verdict on the gel-memory foam seat insert? is it every thing you thought it would be? I was thinking about this mod. but I'm waiting for a little bit more feed back.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Loadtoad what's the verdict on the gel-memory foam seat insert? is it every thing you thought it would be? I was thinking about this mod. but I'm waiting for a little bit more feed back.
Not really, it is a bit better but can't really say that it is a wonder product that supports my posterior like a cloud:wink: Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What a great look! How much did the gel foam cost and where did you get it?
Definitely have to give this a try!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry did not read all the way through the posts. Loadtoad, would it have been better if you had just added the gel without the memory foam on top of the existing padding with smoothing foam? Might look a bit bulky, but going for comfort...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts