Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know there are several posts out there on this but I'm ready to purchase one so I started another thread.
Anyway, both my fiancé and myself get a numb butt, around the tailbone area withen 100 miles, otherwise we could ride all day, so we need to get a handle on this. Suggestions? We already have the Bead Riders for a year, and it really don't know if there is any difference when removing them, putting back on, all summer, still, 100 miles and we have to stop. So now I'm thinking gel pad.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
Just looking for which brand, or style to get I guess? I have no experience with nothing but the BeadRiders.
Mike.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Airhawk seat pads are awesome. It's not gel though.

The pad distributes your weight accross several air pockets. Because they're interconnected, the weight gets evenly distributed over the entire seat and your bum. Thus eliminating sore spots. The gel pads work somewhat the same way, but I think the air system works better.

Thus far, I've done a 350 mile day on it, with no soreness whatsoever. I could have gone much further.

Airhawk Medium Cruiser Pad - 14in x 14in , Size: Md AH2MED:Amazon:Automotive

This one works great on the front seat. They have pillion ones too.

http://host.jwcinc.net/2472/3brothersperformance/scooters.html

Also back rests or butt bumper extensions help also. Above is the one I use, but any will do. They bear some of your weight thus lessening what is borne on your backside.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My wife and I both tried gel pads and, neither of us cared for them, much. We then tried the AirHawk and recommend it highly. I go a full day's ride without a sore rear.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The AirHawk gets my vote also.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use Airhawk and it significantly lengthen my riding time... If you are riding long distances everyday, the butt pain/sore will still be there because of the heat, friction and body position. I ride 60 miles to and from work everyday (one hour one way), and 5-6 hour leisure rides on the weekend and the Airhawk made a lot of difference. Best price I found too in Amazon.

Airhawk Medium Cruiser Pad - 14in x 14in, Size: Md AH2MED : Amazon.com : Automotive

Here's a comparison review where I based my purchasing decision.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/motorcycle_seat_comfort_pads/

Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I like the Gel-Sheepskin combination. Got one from a guy at the Leesburg Bike Fest who made his own. Paid $40 and I've had it for years. I've ridden the Airhawk and the beads too, but I like the gel the best. Different strokes, I guess.

Mine has a neoprene bottom which holds pretty well to the seat.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you do not want the added height on top of the seat, I do pad seats for both the driver and the passenger. While you may hear about the Puffy seat, that is the far end. in many cases it may be cheaper than the other options you are looking at.

When you consider an additional gel pad to place on the top of the seat, go to a local store that carries a variety. The Pro-Pad is a softer more liquid gel. Travelcade is a more firm gel. I recommend having something around them to avoid the extra heat in the summer. When you let them sit in the direct sunlight, you will know it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I take mine and toss it under the seat when I'm not riding. I prefer the added height because I use it mostly when the morning dew is lying on the seat when I get out of work. Not only does it keep my butt dry, but that dew is lying on the windshield too and the extra inch makes it much easier to see over the screen without stretching.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no one best answer... whatever works for you.. I love my Gel pad.. others love their airhawk..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Soooo, gel pad or AirHawk?
All we can give are suggestions and relate our own experience. Your backside is your own, no one can decide which ergos work best on your behind.

I recently had the same decision to make. I'd been using a home made foam pad for years that worked fine, but I wanted something better. I choose the Airhawk because it was adjustable and it worked out great for me.

Perhaps there's a local riding group you could join and sit on their bikes to try them out. Check out www.meetup,com

Good luck. I hope whatever you decide upon works well for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How high does each raise you?
The airhawk raises about half inch to a full inch depending on how much air you put and what is comfortable to you (it really doesn't need that much air once it's settled). Good luck on your "butt" decision :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The airhawk raises about half inch to a full inch depending on how much air you put and what is comfortable to you (it really doesn't need that much air once it's settled). Good luck on your "butt" decision :p
Agreed, it takes a bit of fiddling to get the amount of air just right on the Hawk and it varies from person to person. But you can adjust it so there is just enough air that you're barely touching, or perhaps just a little bit off the seat. Or you can add more air to lift you up and inch, your choice.

But the main idea is to distribute the weight amongst all the chambers and elevate those two main pressure points, spread the load out amongst the entire area.

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tried both models of the Air Hawk and neither worked for me. I am 5'8" and weigh about 155. I have next to NO "posterior" padding and my thighs carry little extra padding. I mention this because when sitting on the seat my thighs between my legs do not touch. As a result, no matter how much or little air I had in the Air Hawks the center chambers would balloon up between my legs at my crouch and apply an uncomfortable amount of pressure on the family jewels. :confused2: I had hoped the newer model with the crouch cutout would solve this but I found it still would compress parts I didn't wanted squeezed. I returned them both and am still looking for a solution.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
raymacke have you tried beads ? I use beads most of the time around town but when I ride all day I swap between beads, the Air-Hawk, and the bare seat. Changing at each stop. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts