Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 190 mile round trip ride with our riding group. I purchased a gel cushion last summer and never realized the difference it made...until today. Most riders will try sitting on a friend's bike with a gel cushion and say yeah, it's nice. But you have to go on a long ride to really appreciate it. I rode the middle fifty miles without it. Never again. My back ached and my knees were sore. I was sitting lower by about an inch. BTW, If your windshield is about an inch too tall instead of sawing off an inch just add a cushion.

I purchased it from amspecialtiesusa.com The model that fits the Burgman 650 best is the large 14X11X8. It leaves room for the family jewels and comes with a strap to hold it on. The bottom has a non-slip surface so I don't use the strap.

Note: I do not work for the company and get no commision whatsoever. I'm just passing information on on what I have discovered.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
+1

I have one from a different manufacturer - sheepskin top, gel in the middle, grippy bottom. I've had it for years and I love it. The guy who sold it to me (at the Leesburg (FL) Bike Fest) said I should put the little end at the back so the wide end would support my legs. I thought that was silly until I tried it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
yeah, gel cushions, custom seats, you name it, if you want to ride comfortable for a long period of time, you will need something like this. I use the Airhawk and I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a gel pad on my SYMHD200 and liked it. When I bought my 650 it had Cary's puffy seat on it and I rode 480 miles from NC. back to IN. with no back pain at all. I rode a friend of mine's 650 prior to buying it and after about 30 minutes my back was killing me, it had a factory seat. I don't know what all Cary does to the seat but if I ever buy another scoot of any kind it will be taking a trip to Cary's. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
My friend and I put alot of miles on the burgmans on the weekends and we don't take those pit stops as often as we should , It catches up with you after a few hundred miles. I have heard good and bad comments on the verious seat cushions and have not tried one myself. The gel sounds good, don't know much about the airhawk so any further information or experience with these would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Most riders will try sitting on a friend's bike with a gel cushion and say yeah, it's nice. But you have to go on a long ride to really appreciate it.
I cannot agree with this statement more. Just sitting on it for a few minutes does not mean it is comfortable for the entire day.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've had a home made foam pad I've used for years, but perhaps its time to upgrade for Christmas.

My instinct is to get the Airhawk as it is adjustable. My windscreen is a fixed height, so I'm concerned about adding anything more than a half inch or so of height when the pad is compressed.

Any suggestions or experience on this?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's possible to shim the windshield on its mounts to tilt it forward (up) or backward (down).

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/48446-what-benefit-shimmed-windshield.html
Thanks, I hadn't thought of shims. I'll consider it once I get my seat pad and figure out the windshield height needed.

I've got about 2" of upholstery foam now and it compresses to about a 3/4" height increase. The stock shield height is acceptable in this configuration. Much more, and I might need to consider the shims.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Walmart used to sell one but I can't find it any more.
I have 2 of them that I use often. I have used it on the scoot on long rides over 5 hours but not for daily riding. I do use one in my Kayak every time though. It was cheap $20, I wish I could find them again......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Can't find something at Walmart? Check online. HERE are five pages of kayak seats that they carry. If you buy it online, they'll ship it to your local store for free.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had good experience with Airhawk. Only down side is that eventually it gets a flat and you have to repair like a bicycle tire. So Although I have a spare unused Airhawk, I ended up putting 1 inch gel pad covered by sheepskin. No more leg or butt numming :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an Airhawk II...installed it and wondered what the big deal was? I didn't see a lot of comfort from it. Then, I looked inside the cover and realized that I had it in upside down! LOL Once I turned it over and experimented with the air pressure, I have it right where I want it...and it is FANTASTIC! My 60 year old backside is VERY happy!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Can't find something at Walmart? Check online.
Thanks ChipDoc.
But not these pictured below any more. As you can see the salt water and sun has done a number on the gel crate pad inside. It is still good just not as good as it was. For $20 bucks it was a steal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Definitely a steal at $20! You can get just the raw gel on eBay relatively inexpensively.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts