Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, the Burgman 650 owners manual calls for 90W gear oil for the final drive. Or at least it had something marked '90'. At the Suzuki dealer they picked out for me a bottle of gear oil marked 80W -90, non-synthetic. Is this the right stuff? It seems pretty common because I've seen it at both auto parts stores and Wal-Mart type stores. I'm at the 600 mile point and am still waffling on whether to do it myself or have the dealer do it since it involves inspecting some other things, but I would like to know if I've got the right oil for later changes at least.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Per the Owners Manual:

Final Drive use
SAE 90 hypoid gear oil, which is rated GL-5 under the API classification system. If you operate the scooter where the ambient temperature is below 32f, then use SAE80 hypoid gear oil.

Maybe they make multi viscosity gear oil, like the 10W-40 motor oil that is recommended for the engine and transmission. If so your oil would flow like 80 weight in cold temps, and like 90 weight in warmer temps.
So it might be 80W-90 or something.

I suspect that this oil is okay, but it's your ride, so check with your dealer to be sure.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brewman said:
Per the Owners Manual:

Final Drive use
SAE 90 hypoid gear oil, which is rated GL-5 under the API classification system. If you operate the scooter where the ambient temperature is below 32f, then use SAE80 hypoid gear oil.

Maybe they make multi viscosity gear oil, like the 10W-40 motor oil that is recommended for the engine and transmission. If so your oil would flow like 80 weight in cold temps, and like 90 weight in warmer temps.
So it might be 80W-90 or something.

I suspect that this oil is okay, but it's your ride, so check with your dealer to be sure.
Thanks for that clarification, Brewman. I'm at work and didn't have my owner's manual handy. I actually got the oil at the dealer, but really didn't get 'warm fuzzies' that he knew what he was doing. I brought in my owner's manual and read what you posted above, and he went over to the shelves, picked out the 80W-90, and said, "this is probably it." The label says it's 80W-90 hypoid gear oil and is rated GL-5. But I figured I'd better ask the experts here on the board. It's the same thing with the diesel VW board I frequent -- the members there know a heck of a lot more than the VW dealer usually does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried finding the 90W oil at several stores and finally had to order a bottle from Dennis Kirk. My thinking was that if it was the salesman's ride he could put whatever he wanted in it. I'll go with the manual. When i dumped the break in stuff after 600 miles it was about half as thick as the new stuff I put in. Seemed to make the scoot a little quieter.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Pappy, but I'm only at the 600 mile mark and will be running plain petro oils for a while yet. There have been some arguements made on other threads for plain petro oils, but I do like quiet, so I might give synthetics a shot later.

Thanks, Habu, for the Dennis Kirk suggestion. I looked it up and there is indeed an SAE 90 oil. So it looks like I was sold the wrong stuff at my dealer. I guess I should have looked at some online sources first. The 80W-90 might do fine, but I won't deviate from the manual until after the warranty period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts