Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I thought it would be nice to share ideas and practices on caring for our riding gear. We seem to have the bikes covered with videos and instructions, so now lets think about our gear.

This Summer has been HOT almost everywhere in the US. As a result I have a lot of foul gear. My helmet especially is not to pleasant, and it is to new for retirement. I went out and bought some Helmet Fresh from the local Honda dealer. It seemed to help but wasn't perfect. Then, last week whilst at the local road course I notice something that many of the riders were doing with their helmets.

Many had bought a small desk fan, probably about 8 inches diameter, with the ability to rotate flat so that air is blown upward. Then they placed the helmet directly on top of the fan and turned it on. I think this would greatly aid in drying, and overall helmet health. I am trying it right now. The fans can be had at most stores cheap.

I also used a sham-WOW over the hot weather to cool this rider down. I soaked it in water, then wrapped around my neck and put my riding jacket over the whole affair. Sham-WOW seems to hold the water without dripping, and it worked well. However I believe there are better solutions, since it is a bit stiff, but I had one on hand to try. The rider stays cool due to evaporation of the water.

Pass along your riding gear tips for all to share.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The fans will dry sweat for sure and cool the helmet in the heat but dry sweat is still fowl and smelly.
I have used helmet fresh and was not impressed either. I use Woolite to soak and clean the removable liner and let it air dry. Yes it takes forever to dry (those fans would speed up the process) but that's why I have a back up helmet or wash it when I won't be riding for a couple of days.
Nothing better than a fresh clean helmet on your head! :thumbup:
Sham-wow.....Is really a great synthetic chamois that will hold a lot of water with minimal dripping. We got a whole roll of them from a customer and have used them for a multitude of things including cooling the neck, back and chest. Mostly when doing yard work but on the bike too.

PS- I guess the fans are Battery operated.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I wear a Coolmax helmet liner under my helmet. It helps to wick moisture up so the helmet ventilation can evaporate it. That lets the helmet go longer without getting that funky smell. I give the helmet a shot of Fabreeze Fabric Refresher before I put it on the shelf after a hot weather ride. I also use the Fabreeze on my riding jacket to keep it smelling nicer.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I wash the road spray off the gear by soaking it in a laundry tub with Simple Green and Oxi-Clean. When dry, I respray it with Thompson's "Sport Seal", a water-proofing spray. While it won't make the outer textile jacket waterproof, it'll keep it from absorbing water and help it dry quicker.

Chris

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
+1 to Buffalo...a helmet liner and a little fabreeze goes a long way 8)

Some stuff their helmets with wadded newspaper overnight...absorbs moisture...I like the fan idea better...tough on a road trip though

End of season...remove all armor etc....correctly latch all Velcro and zippers...toss in washer...let air dry
remove helmet pads...wash by hand and let air dry

Bill

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
They are desiccants. Once they absorb moisture the are useless. And once they are exposed to ambient air, they do not last long. I save then when I get them right away by putting them in a baggie. If you happen to get your cellphone wet, after you get all the water out you can, put the phone in a baggie with several of them and the moisture is gone. Then toss them after use.

Make your own:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry ... icator.htm

Scotty1981 said:
I wonder if you could save those little bags of silica salts that come in almost everything and you could fill up a small box with them and then you could just buy an extra liner and swap them out each day or every couple of days.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Rice works the same way for wet cell phones....
maybe we should just fill our helmet with rice and put in a big baggie. :lol:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Scootereno said:
Rice works the same way for wet cell phones....
maybe we should just fill our helmet with rice and put in a big baggie. :lol:
WHILE WEARING THE HELMET.....?????? :lol: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts