Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i remember awhile back ppl made comments that the pre 2005 model some times can have gear box problems and they were very expensive to fix :-(
my question is if i bought a pre 2005 and it did **** the gearbox at some stage, can i install a 2005 and onwards gearbox in the old Burg, has anybody done this?
the sales on pre 2005 models go for a lot less $. thanks.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Any year CVT will fit in the '03-'04 models with the use of the stock adapter gear. Peronally if you get one I would upgrade to the Polish adapter. Any year CVT can experience a failure just the early ones have the added bonus of problems with the adapter gear stripping CVT splines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, if i upgraded to a polish adapter (do you have a link? and by upgrading to this does it remove the problem of the adapter gear stripping the spines?) May sound like a dumb question but do all Burgs use CVT splines? and if so? did they change the thickness and pitch of the splines on later models to strength them, so is it the splines that is the problem (too small and too fine?) or is the problem not the splines but the poor designed adapter gear before 2005.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Derbi said:
thanks for the reply, if i upgraded to a polish adapter (do you have a link? and by upgrading to this does it remove the problem of the adapter gear stripping the spines?) May sound like a dumb question but do all Burgs use CVT splines? and if so? did they change the thickness and pitch of the splines on later models to strength them, so is it the splines that is the problem (too small and too fine?) or is the problem not the splines but the poor designed adapter gear before 2005.
The Polish adapter fits better than the OE one. As long as the splines aren't already worn too bad and the CVT input bearing looks ok when your pulling the old adapter out it will elminate the dieseling rattle noise at idle common on the '03-'04 models. It should also provide better support/alignment for the bearings hopefully meaning a longer life.

I installed one on my '03 after rebuilding the CVT and it worked as it was suppose to, in fact it lead me to a engine rattle/clacking noise (bad timing chain tensioner) since it was so quiet. Now with the adapter and new tensioner my '03 is as quiet running as my '09. At least two other folks on here have since bought/installed this adapter and reported that they can only hear the engine now, no more diesel rattle noise.

All have splines it's just the later ones they made the engine driven gear thicker inside so the CVT spline directly into it eliminating the adapter gear. The basic problems are either CVT input bearing failure (any year) or the slop/insufficent adapter gear hard chrome plating (I have Suzuki documentation of this) leading to excessive spline wear and eventual failure.

Link to the thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60169 and to the current sale http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Burgman-650-Dies ... 3a80f54489

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the good info passed over. Do you or any member have a photo of the 03/04 driven gear and then a photo of a later model oem burg driven gear that was designed as an upgrade, id be interested to see what the differences are in photos, more for interest sakes than anything. And a photo of the location of the CVT input bearing. It does sound like the polish adapter is the answer or get the oem adatper gear hard chrome removed and get it mpc treated, but the cost maybe not worth it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Administrator
18,727 Posts
If you look at those two different adapters, the 05-up one will fit inside the 02-04. The fix Suzuki should have done was MAKE THE POLISH ADAPTER!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts