Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a gasoline smell. I can't find a leak anyplace nor can I even pin point where the smell is coming from, other than it is my Burg. Today is the first I have smelt it. It was very hot today and I rode it a fair amount, could that account for it?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I keep mine in the garage and I can smell gasoline too, I would bet on the vapor recovery system on the scoot. I did not have the smell until I bought the Burgman and I have always parked it in the garage. I would like to know if there is a fix also.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Idk about you guys, but I've parked mine in the garage as long as I've been able to, and never had that smell.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Buffalo. That very well could be it since the smell is strongest on the right front corner where that is located. There was a lot of pressure as I took off the gas cap and it released a "sigh". In looking for the smell I found some spots on the fork triple tree which indicate that the radiator or hoses leaked. It was just a couple of drops and looked old but I better check it out and make sure.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did just as much ridding today but it is overcast and cooler and no gas smell. I guess it was just that relief valve venting. I couldn't find any leak on the cooling system and no other spots so I guess those few drops were nothing serious.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I get a little gasoline smell on my 650K4 also, I just assumed it was the fuel injectors leaking down very slightly, then the vapors working their way out of the air filter. It doesn't take many molecules of that stuff to tickle a human nose. It's so slight that I assumed it was much less than 1 drop, maybe just a little seepage evaporating from the injectors.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I get a little gasoline smell on my 650K4 also, I just assumed it was the fuel injectors leaking down very slightly, then the vapors working their way out of the air filter. It doesn't take many molecules of that stuff to tickle a human nose. It's so slight that I assumed it was much less than 1 drop, maybe just a little seepage evaporating from the injectors.
If the smell seems to be coming from the left front then that might be it as the air filter is located there.

The 650 also has a pressure relief valve. It is located on the right side about mid way back under the rear side panel. If the smell seems to be coming from that area then that is a likely candidate.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Buffalo, is that the relief valve that causes the "meow?" I've always assumed that it was breaking the vacuum in the fuel tank, not releasing pressure. If I open the filler cap and release the vapor pressure after a ride, then I can hear it start to meow as the fuel cools down slowly.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry OP, you asked about your ride which is exactly the same as my GF's (400SK6) and hers develops a slight gasoline fragrance also. Again, I assumed it was injector seepage the same as my 650.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Buffalo, is that the relief valve that causes the "meow?" I've always assumed that it was breaking the vacuum in the fuel tank, not releasing pressure. If I open the filler cap and release the vapor pressure after a ride, then I can hear it start to meow as the fuel cools down slowly.
There are two on the 650. One is orange and black and one is grey and black. Air direction through them is from the orange or grey side to the black side. One lets air into the tank and the other lets pressure out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
One thing you might try a hot day as an experiment... When you pull up into the driveway go ahead and release the fuel cap And let out any built-up pressure... Then tighten it back up, then drive into the garage and park it up.

Walk away for an hour then come back and see if there's any fuel smell.

A leaking fuel cap Seal is a possibility also.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I had a garage! I will however try the venting via the cap on really hot days. There have been several days there hot but not as hot but so far it just did it that one day. It was a well over 100 that day!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
87 octane vs 89 will lower that some.
? too whom was this directed?

I use 86 octane since I am in the lower rocky mountain zone{high rocky mountain zone octane is 85}. Not sure at what elevation they make the breaks but Roswell is 3500 ft.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ethanol blends have a tendency to create vapour locks in extreme heat, non ethanol blends have a lower factor for that and excrete vapours.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ethanol blends have a tendency to create vapour locks in extreme heat, non ethanol blends have a lower factor for that and excrete vapours.
OK, is this a reply to the octane posts from above or extra info? Because octane and ethanol have nothing to do with one another.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ehanol free fuel no matter what octane will help reduce tank pressure, hence less venting the release valve.

Depending on what state you live will determine what octane you have as 'ethanol' free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts