Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a short ride today. I parked in the garage, and while I was fiddling with some other stuff, my '09 650 (1,200 miles) made an odd sound. I would describe it as a moaning/whining/whistling sound. It lasted about two seconds. Then, five minutes later, I heard it again. I waited a few minutes, then jostled the bike, and it did it again!

I looked through the search threads, and found a post about the same thing, and some riders said it was a gas vent valve, farting vapors.

Is that indeed what I'm hearing? The tank is about 3/4 full, and it's 80 degrees. The scoot runs fine. But if I remove the gas cap, let it burp, then remove it again five minutes later, I get another burp. Is this normal for the 650? Should it be building pressure in the gas tank so quickly?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Sounds like the gas vent noise, completely normal. Here is CA we have a carbon cannister and ours do not make that noise. Better to vent than the alternative.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Yes that is likely what you are hearing and it is normal.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Dang, but I wish my bike made a moaning sound. I wouldn't mind hearing one in my garage because I sure don't hear any in my bedroom anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Oft referred to as the Burgman 'fart'.;)

We all do it apparently.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess some fart more than others. I never heard my 07 pass gass but my 08 does it all the time. Even in stop and go traffic, I can hear it venting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info--I'm glad it's a normal occurrence. But I have to ask--why? I've never owned a bike, or car, that held pressure and made farty sounds like the Burgman.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As others have replied, normal mode of operation. C'mon people, nothing to see here, move a long, move a long...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Aw Geesh, we can really have fun with this topic. Come on, pull my brake handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts