Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
churt05 said:
I dropped plastic gas cap from gas can in my gas tank will this mess up my burgman 400
I dont even understand how you can do that when it is so much bigger than the fuel inlet.???????? :?: :?: :(

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
churt05 said:
I dropped plastic gas cap from gas can in my gas tank will this mess up my burgman 400
I dont even understand how you can do that when it is so much bigger than the fuel inlet.???????? :?: :?: :(
never mind........I miss-read your posting!!! I dont think so at all!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
if I remember right there is an iron bathtub around the fuel pickup for the fuel pump that will stop any big objects from getting close to the intake and a cloth filter that will clog up and make you clean it eventually anyway if you keep dropping poop in the tank :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think someone did that before, and they got lucky and were able to fish it out with a coat hanger. Good luck~!

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Auto parts stores sell two things that might help. One is a flexible pickup tool. Here's one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Claw-Pic ... B000RB7AGY You push in the end that you're holding onto and four "claws" go out the other end. It's spring loaded, so when you let go, they close around the object. It's very handy when you drop something down in tight places, like around your engine where you can't get fingers into it. The other is similar but has a strong magnet on the end. If there's any metal in the cap like I've seen on some gas containers, that would work too.

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I think your ok too. I would still try to fish it out.
I just had all my Tupperware off for maintenance and thought what a pain it would be to remove the gas tank.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Scootereno said:
I think your ok too. I would still try to fish it out...
I left that out, but it was exactly what I was thinking. There's something about having things sloshing around in the gas tank that weren't intended to be in there that would bother me.

Also...do be careful. Stay grounded to the metal on the tank so you don't get any sparks. When I used to build and repair PCs, I always made sure both I and the screwdriver I was poking into the innards of the PC were grounded to the frame of the PC. I'd use the same principle here.

Chris

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Unless you can "SEE" the object you are trying to grasp, like those machines that rip you off to grab a stuffed animal with a claw, you will have little luck retrieving it. Pushing The Claw round in the fuel tank will just be frustrating trying to locate the plastic cap, and grab it. It should not pose a problem.

Daboo said:
Auto parts stores sell two things that might help. One is a flexible pickup tool. Here's one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Claw-Pic ... B000RB7AGY You push in the end that you're holding onto and four "claws" go out the other end. It's spring loaded, so when you let go, they close around the object. It's very handy when you drop something down in tight places, like around your engine where you can't get fingers into it. The other is similar but has a strong magnet on the end. If there's any metal in the cap like I've seen on some gas containers, that would work too.

Chris

·
Registered
677 Posts
If it was me, I'd try to get it out when the tank is empty or nearly so. Ride around the block a few times when it gets real low (have a gas can on hand, of course.)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Whet is the "specific gravity" of this gas cap compared to that of gasoline.??? If it is less - then it will float!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts