Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh heh. :)

Yeah Moonpie ain't no hybrid civic but.... 3 dollars a gallon?! So what? That's still cheaper than most the rest of the world pays.

Whiners. :? - Sell the SUV and get something lower to the ground. :roll: It's NOT rocket science!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Gas hasn't hit that high here, it's around $2.25 for self serv. regular, been around $2.00 give or take for quite a while now.
If high gas prices are causing a panic, it sure isn't showing in our consumption, which continues to rise despite price increases. I'd bet it would have to get a lot more expensive before the demand curve changes.
Just like when I smoked a couple decades ago, and a pack of smokes was $0.50. Many said "aint no way I'm paying $1.00 a pack, many of those people are still puffing away at what, $3.00 or more a pack?
Takes a big shake to break our habbits, I guess.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gas is hovering at about $1 per liter here (my trusty calculator tells me that's $3.08 USD/US Gal), so I really appreciate my 400's miserly ways. I did see a news report the other day that Canadian sales of full-size SUV's have tanked, and hybrid and diesel sales are on the rise.

Lotsa scoots around here, too!

Simon

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw this on the cbs evening news (-along with the rest of whats bad.)

I don't think its 3 greenbacks a gal yet anywhere but the hyper-bad-news-media is proporting that "it isn't too far away". ffft.

media. :?

but like i said.... SO WHAT!? Trickle effect, schmickle effect.

·
Registered
409 Posts
As of today in NE Ohio, range between 2.16 and 2.29. No big deal.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I see more & more motorcycles all the time around here. I know, it's summer & they're coming out fom a long winter's nap, but! The number of new bikes w/dealer tags is incredible, but even more amazing is the number of scoots on the street, mostly brand new, but some with the dust recently knocked off. I feel that the majority of these new bikes are aquired for the primary reason I bought Sylvia, gas prices.

It's actually getting to the point where John Law is going to have to step in & do something because alot of these sub 100cc bikes are being driven in a manner as to present saftey hazards in traffic, cases in point:

Within the last few days I've lost count of the number of 50cc bikes, running 2 up, making maybe 30 mph at best in the left lane on a 45 mph main thorougfare (I live on it, & get to see all manner of weirdness, constantly). This causes even worse bottlenecks than normal, & with the temps soaring along with tempers, I'm just waiting for the violence to begin.

The signs on the freeway entrance ramps are being updated & replaced by KY DOT reminding people that the minimum speed limit is enforced & that mopeds, minibikes, farm equipment, etc. are not allowed on the interstate.

Kids, some barely teens, riding, unlicensed & uninsured, no saftey equipment of any kind, streaking around in utter ignorance of traffic laws or anyone's saftey, particularly thier own.

One such incident ended in tragedy just day before yesterday when 2 kids on a 50cc scooter ran the red light, made a illegal left turn & slammed into the side of a city bus right in front of the mall across the street from my house. I witnessed this with my own eyes. The bus, of course, was unharmed, as were it's passengers. But the 2 kids on the bike were carted off in seperate ambulances (one was a life flight helicopter, obviously not good) & it took over an hour to clean up all of the scooter fragments left in the intersection. I've not heard what thier conditions were, but have to assume the worst, judging from the amount of time it took to get them treated, prepped, & transported.

I guess the whole point to this diatribe is that where once it was merely dangerous, it's now getting far worse, & quickly.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Look at the good side. :p

When gas hits $2.00 per litre or $6.00 per US gallon, all of the bikers will be able to see where they are going, because all the minivans and SUVs will be gone off the roads. Thank God for that!

We'll be able to see around or over everything out there, except transport trucks. Now if they could only bring back the railroads and more container shippers...., we'd get rid of a lot trucks on the roads too.

And there will be more of us, because it's cheaper to move around that way.

Biker/scooter power!! :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just hit reserve on my DR with 3.5 weeks of commuting to work (10 miles round trip). I love it! I notice more m/c's in the parking lot at work, there is even a Silverwing there too. I would like to meet the rider of that to see how he likes it. I come to early and leave too early to see the rider :( ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lucky beggars

You don't know how lucky you are. We've been paying $6 per UK gallon for quite some time. On the other hand, if high prices curtail US consumption it won't be a bad thing. I know some over there don't (won't) accept global warming as reality and keep their gas guzzlers going, but most folk over here accept that using fossil fuels sparingly is the future! Get everyone on to Burgies is my answer!
Whistler

·
Registered
296 Posts
Two years ago we had 1 car and a 1 ton dully pickup and we were pulling a 35 ft. double slide 5th. wheel and did many trips to the property we owned in a luxury RV resort in southern California. When I retired a year ago we sold our property in Vancouver, sold our truck and 5th. wheel, moved to Vancouver Island, bought a 1650 sq. ft. townhouse, and purchased a Jetta Wolfsburg and Burgman. It was a big transition in lifestyle downsizing but we have never looked back and we sure don’t miss the big gas/service/insurance costs associated with the large car and truck.

When I purchased my first diesel truck 6 years ago diesel was .49 cents a liter, diesel is now anywhere from .95 to .99 cents a liter. My last truck had a 135 liter gas tank, it would now cost about a $130.00 to fill the gas tank and that would take me about 430 km. or about 300 km. pulling the 5th. wheel.

The price of fuel sure changed our lifestyle as it will in the future as the cost of fuel/oil affects many aspects of our life. Heating homes has become more expensive, air travel costs are up etc.

It sure is nice to have the 650 and the $12.00 fill ups.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Gas prices don't really bother me. I think I paid $1.97 per gallon yesterday when I filled up. I'm sure it will be higher by the weekend (holiday here in the states).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes Nancy we are one of the lucky states with low gas prices. Although they can be 1.80 per gallon in the AM and 2.09 in the PM. And of course it all depends on where the gas station is located and if there is a competitor across the street.

I can sympathize with you European's. You have had it bad price wise for gas, meat, heat, etc. for quite awhile now which has helped all of you to conserve as much as possible. Hopefully the U.S.A will follow suit.

Evelyn

·
Registered
806 Posts
My father has a theory that no matter how high the price gets in the states (within reason, of course) it doesn't matter as long as gas is readily available. I dont' know if I agree with this or not but he does have a point.

In the 70's it wasn't the price of gas that got folks in small cars, rather it was the lines and rationing of gasoline that had folks trading in their station wagon for Toyotas.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Your father was right on the shortage thing. I was driving then, and I remember gas stations that were closed with "NO GAS" signs posted.
I also remember gas lines, and gallon limits per customer.
Also at the same time, the price of gasoline doubled. Because of the shortage.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I remember those days also. However instead of waiting in long gas lines my ex use to give the gas station owner who was Lebanese a rack of lamb and we would get gas when no one was around. Yeah those were the days :evil:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I hope lamb was cheaper then that it is now!! :wink:

Back then, you could pick up a mint condition Cadillac or Lincoln for a song, but someone selling a rusty (remember when cars rusted?) oil burning worn out Honda Civic would start a bidding war.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
OPEC continues to lower the output of oil being shipped to the United States. Therefore, what oil is being shipped becomes more valuable. However, that really doesn't have any bearing on the price of gasoline that we are currently seeing. Frankly, they are shipping less, because we don't need anymore.

You may recall from several months ago (maybe more, can't remember) of an exploision at a gas refinery. Does anyone remember this? Well, as I recall, that was one of only about 3 or 4 refineries in the US. The problem today is not the amount of oil being brought into the country, it is the amount of gasoline the refineries are producing. The refinery explosion reduce the gasoline refining capability by 15 to 20%.

The two of these together have increased prices of gasoline by around 25%, roughly, and it's just going to get worse - at least until the refineries get caught back up. When they do, OPEC will start sending more oil and the price of a barrell of crude will drop. However, this should be a warning to all U.S. Citizens - but it won't be. Those that have a credit card will always be able to fill the tank.

To all of the other people in the world that believe the US invaded Iraq just to get cheaper oil I have to tell you that the American consumer is not seeing cheaper gasoline prices... In actuality, the price has risen, tremendously, since Sept. 11, 2001 (Gas as I recall was $1.59 for Medium grade then... Last time I looked, it was $2.19).

Now, we can also discuss the Nation's Strategic Oil Reserve and you can factor that in as well to the current situation, but I believe that President Bush has opened that tap to the public twice since The Day of Reckoning, and - naturally - the wars have chewed up a substantial portion of the remainder....

La, La, La, La, La! :oops:

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when we were overseas from 70 thru 74 (missed the gas lines and embargo) my navy pilot dad was issued/bought "gas coupons" at the average cost per gallon of US gas - what ever that was (prolly some stupid gov formula)....all i know was that it was a helluva lot cheaper than what the italians were paying at their local "agip" gas stations. The cost per liter back then was stupid as it is now in most of europe. thats why i just get so bemused with all of the gringo whiners that cooonnnnnstantly piss and moan about gas prices while they maneuver their 5900 pound V8 automatic "big bob" into their three car driveway. ffftttt.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not to get on a completely off topic rant, but I guess it is on topic.

I love it when we here that, for whatever reason (refinery fire, Iraq war, low supply, price of crude) the gasoline and diesel prices are just going to have to go up.

Then you read the stories about the oil companies having RECORD PROFITS. Along the same lines, the thyroid medicine that I take USED to cost about 30 bucks for 100 pills just four years ago. Now it's over 100 dollars for the same amount unless I go to Canada, in which case the price is the same as it always was. And the pharmacutical companies? Record profits.

Meanwhile, here in the midwest the farmers are living hand to mouth and, at a minimum, are not recording "record profits." But you know what? Our govt tells the American farmer what the market price for their goods are. The medical and oil companies can charge whatever they want and the farmers get told by the govt what the price is. And, of course, beef, corn, and dairy products haven't quadrupaled in price over the last 5 years either.

You see the problem I have with this is pretty self explainitory. But all it does seem to indicate is who your politicians are working for. It sure isn't us.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts