Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of trading my 400 in on a 650, and wonder what gas mileage it gets
thx erv

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
That will depend on where and how you ride it. I've seen people report averaging anywhere from the mid 30s to the mid 50s.

All the folks I personally know get mileage in the high 40s to low 50s and that is what I get in my normal riding.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Buffalo said:
That will depend on where and how you ride it. I've seen people report averaging anywhere from the mid 30s to the mid 50s.

All the folks I personally know get mileage in the high 40s to low 50s and that is what I get in my normal riding.
I notice Suzuki advertizes the 650 gets 38 MPG for the 2012 models. I get 50 approximately with my 09 650. What's changed
for it to get that bad.

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Back in 09 they advertised 38 mpg for the 2009 models also. They have been advertising that for a long time and folks have been consistently getting better than that. I think what they are giving is the mileage you can expect if all your riding is short distance in city stop and go driving.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I've gotten as bad as around 38 and as good as 52 but on average I get between 40-44 and have on either my '03 or '09. Part of the reason i get lower mileage is due to the additives in the fuel here in So Cal which lower mpg.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the fast response, i will be taking one for a ride sat morning, and this has made me have some doubts about the wisdom of trading also the different position of the mirrors, my 400 gets around 57-61 mpgs, i like the bike, i am old, so i don't worry too much about wisdom. i just want to trade. is there much difference in the ride? other than more power.
erv

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a big difference...I've owned a 400 and last year up graded to a 650 and it was well worth it. I bought my 400 back in 05 and rode it for 6 years. I then sold it last year and bought an 09 650 and wow what a difference in performance, handling, and just a more comfortable ride compared to the 400...so I'm saying you can't go wrong in upgrading to a 650... And gas mileage...when your riding the 650 it really doesnt matter...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been monitoring my speed vs RPM to see what sort of MPG I can get in various riding situations. Over a week here is what I have:
3500-4000 about 57-62MPH and showing 45+ on MPG rating on console / 42 on GPS.
4000-4500 about 65-71MPH and showing 42-43MPG on console and 40 on GPS.
by gps I am stopped 4-5 minutes and driving 30minutes at an average in an HOV lane at 56-48

this is on 2011 650.

in grocery store hops about 8-10 mile round trips I am showing the MPG drop to 39 on console and showing about 32 on the GPS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i go for my test ride this am. and still haven't made up my mind, but am leaning toward purchase of the 650. and hope for the best.
erv

·
Registered
562 Posts
a difference of 18 miles per gallon really doesn't matter that much. For me, I spend 10 to 14 dollars more every 2 weeks. Small price to pay for all the upgrades a 650 gives you.

I have thought about getting a used Honda Metro 50cc for the 2 miles to work and shorter trips to the store when I am just getting 1 thing.

In the end I decided 1,000.00 for the scooter plus registration, insurance and maintenance costs would buy me a lot more gas than I would save.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and done it now! i took the 650 for a test ride and couldn't believe the difference, the first time i goosed it only a little i almost lost it, it reminded me of an over frisky horse. only 50 miles on it but really like it. just one thing i will have to get used to is that is the engine breaking, it is entirely different than the 400, but am sure by the time i get to 100 miles i will have adjusted.
thx for the input.
erv

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Hope you have many miles of enjoyment from it. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
erv77 said:
I went and done it now! i took the 650 for a test ride and couldn't believe the difference, the first time i goosed it only a little i almost lost it, it reminded me of an over frisky horse. only 50 miles on it but really like it. just one thing i will have to get used to is that is the engine breaking, it is entirely different than the 400, but am sure by the time i get to 100 miles i will have adjusted.
thx for the input.
erv
2 things.

1st. you will need to change your avitar/sig. from 400 to 650 :lol:

2nd. Throttle/engine braking.
What seems to work the best for me is using the throttle more like a rheostat. Open and close the throttle slowly!
I also found there is very little difference in acceleration if I'm at 1/3 throttle or full throttle.
Increasing the dia. of the grips, by using "Grip Puppies' or something similar, really aids in throttle control, as well as providing a comfortable grip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am learning, i don't ride like a drunk man at slow speeds any more, its all in throttle control like you say, on the 400 i would just release the throttle and it would slowly slow down, not so with the 650, i am learning to release the throttle slowly and it works great now i am looking foreword to many happy hours in the saddle. :)
erv

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the 08 with 57000 miles. My average mpg hovers around 54-55. I drive like the old man that I am though. Rarely over 60 MPH except on interstate where I run! the speed limit to keep from getting squashed! The only apprehension I have with age and mileage on the 650 is the drive belt. I get a bit nervous taking long trips due to uncertainty about belt life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am finding that I get better mileage when I use manual mode on the highways.

Basically anything over 50mph

In auto mode my 650 stays in 5th, so I go into manual and move up into 6th

Also above 60mph the bike goes back and forth between 5th and 6th, but I find in manual mode I can leave it in 6th and it runs smooth and quiet, just loafing along

Lower rpms

Better mileage

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know my mpg will be down for some time until the bike is well broken in, probably 2000 at least.
thx for all the input, the more i ride the better i like it
erv :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
2007 650, 19k miles & I average 45-50mpg at mostly 70-75 mph riding, 1 up.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would be wary of saying that the 650 is an "upgrade" from the 400.

Some are very sensitive to that comparison.

However, I have never ridden a 400. So I cannot comment in that area. :)

On the 2005 model, I averaged between 40 and 45 MPG (US). Most of the miles were from commuting. My MPG increased, when on longer rides, where I had a lot less stop and go. I was disappointed with the mileage when I spoke with some HD riders who claimed 50 MPG around town. I am not sure if they were exagerating. :shock:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Bet they were :lol: -- Close to 12,000 miles and I have averaged 52.4 MPG.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts