Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to me the more miles i put on the burger, the better the gas mileage gets. last year the wife & me went to calif. at one point we were on the freeway running between 75-85 mph. and the gas mileage was the lowest i ever recorded. 39 mpg. just recently we went to bisbee ariz. and on the return trip we were riding I-10 at a sustained 85 mph and the burger returned 50 mpg. i have a little over 9000 miles on the burger. the rear tire is shot and i'm waiting for my new one. hi ted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Or maybe during the California trip the jet stream had dipped so low skootertrash was actually driving against the jet stream thus the low mileage :lol: But for real most do report the mileage gets better once the "new" has worn off.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I just turned to 3,000 this weekend. I was Getting 42-45 mpg Riding 2 up with a GIVI windshield. The last 3 tanks I'm getting 46, 47, 48 mpg. (keeps going up) Seems to be running a little looser and happier, now to.
Typical Riding speed 60-66 mph average.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Just did another check of mine this weekend and the last tank delivered 52.8 mpg. Riding 2 up , half the mileage was stop n go city the other half highway.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
Just did another check of mine this weekend and the last tank delivered 52.8 mpg. Riding 2 up , half the mileage was stop n go city the other half highway.
That's real good - better than I've been able to get. Maybe the Silver ones get better mileage? Or maybe that Canadian gasoline works better....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm still getting 55mpg on highways at speeds between 65-85 with an occasion 90+ pass. I've got 3,000 miles on it now, and, as others note, mileage seems to pick up as the engine breaks in. Very shortly I will switch to synthetic oil in the engine.

Perhaps the slight increase in gas mileage from synthetic oil will make up for the decrease caused by the soon to arrive Clearview. Clearview says this Wednesday. Now that I've become a certified windshield removal and replacement technician...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Synthetic made no difference with mine. I still get 49~51 mpg no matter how I ride. But I'll be putting on a Clearview XXL as soon as it gets here, so those days will soon be gone. :(

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
allwalk said:
That's real good - better than I've been able to get. Maybe the Silver ones get better mileage? Or maybe that Canadian gasoline works better....
I think its the Flames.......they have to add at least 2hp and extend gas mileage to boot :roll: :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Flames rule. The air, seeing the approach of an object appearing to be on fire, get the hell out of the way. Wouldn't anyone?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gas

it's the silver. the silver molecules are not as dense as the blue molecules. thefore the air flows thru the silver one and kinda piles up around the blue one.also,using a depth micrometer,at 9078 miles, i have .00015 tread left til i get to the indicators.after the initial 600 mile service, i changed to synth at 1200 miles. castrol syntec. i also run that in the trans. final gear oil is synth too. i read that the with the stock windscreen the burger gets better mileage. so ted,if you will, can you report any difference in mileage with the clearview installed? did you get the p.m. i sent? inquiring minds wish to know. one more thing,it also(the burger) seems noticeably quicker too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is a problem with everyone reporting mpg. Up here in Canada a gallon is 4.54596 liters while a US gallon is 3.7584 liters. So on my first long trip with two up I got:

61 mpg - Canadian
or
51 mpg - US

I only had 500km on the bike (310 miles) when I got these mileages plus I was hitting a pretty good head wind. But they were all highway miles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Scootertrash:

Yes to everything. I will report on any mileage changes, and yes, got your pm. Enjoyed your visit to Bisbee and to our Wednesday night motorcycle club meeting at my house, and will probably be coming over your way soon.

Windscreen to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
One question: if our speedometers are telling us we're going 10% faster than we really are, are our odometers telling us we're going 10% further per gallon than we really are?

When it is reported that someone got 50 miles/US gallon, did they really only get 45?

This is a retorical question, because when I get home from work tonight I'm going to pull all the receipts from my cross-state trip last week and compare them with actual mileage plotted on a GIS database.

I'll get back to everyone with my results tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am reluctant to post this because it sound nuts (even to me). I keep fair records (OK, good records) of my mileage, mark down ever fill up distance-mile- ect. .(this is on my 400)
My records total 5,500 miles . discounting break in time 1000 miles --
I got better mpg on regular grade gas over the first 2,000 miles then the last 2000 miles on high-test .
Just does not seem right , but I am getting 2 to 4 mpg better ( per tank full ) on regular.
One other point , the bike runs better on high-test- both low and high speed, not by that much but enough to notice a little "seat of the pants" improvement-
Yes at the 2000 mile point I changed oil, cleaned the air filter, always check my tires.-
-while it's not much for concern I do wonder why.:?:
So do I need to go take bookkeeping 101 or what. :?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
I am reluctant to post this because it sound nuts (even to me)....I got better mpg on regular grade gas over the first 2,000 miles then the last 2000 miles on high-test. Just does not seem right...So do I need to go take bookkeeping 101 or what. :?
Many people are under the misconception that "High Test" fuel is "more powerful" or "better" fuel than regular. That is incorrect.

"High Test," "Premium," etc. only refers to the Octane rating of the fuel. Gasoline is a solution of several different hydrocarbon chains -- octane, heptane, hexane, etc. depending on the number of carbon atoms in each molecule.

A higher octane percentage increases the anti-knock or anti-dieseling properties of the fuel. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines. In a lower compression engine, fuels with less octane (or one of its other counterparts) can be used without inducing preignition, and these lower octane fuels can actually provide more energy in a given quantity because they burn more readily -- too readily, in fact, for those "performance engines."

Hope that helps to explain your seemingly contradictory results. Your book keeping is fine.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Even the "High compression" criteria has been bent with Suzuki's recent fuel injected engines. It used to be that any engine over 11:1 compression definitely needed high octane fuel. But the Burgman 650 is over 11:1, and runs great on 87 octane. The V-Strom 1000cc engine has even slightly higher compression than the Burgman, but it runs best on 87 octane gas - it will frequently backfire and stall when coming to a stop if you put higher octane gas in it. There is no reason to run anything more than 87 octane in these engines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gas

heptane? is that the tane that wears a black beret,listens to john coltrane and plays the bongos? on a serious note, i too have wondered if i have gone as far as my odometer says. if the 10% error applies to total mileage, then my rear tire would be worn out at approx. 8100 miles instead of 9000.of course we would be doing all our maintenance sooner than required also.

·
Registered
746 Posts
High compression engine in general ...

You can run very high compression in lets as Vstrom but you will find that the cam timing is a lots different to Burgman 650 that may run almost as high compression ...

The static compression say 11.5:1 is calculated via combustion chamber volume, bore size, stroke = Static compression ...

But running compression is differnet with normal / mild / race cam timing

Without getting into long post ...

If your valve opens sooner and close later you static compression will drop from 11.5 to app. 10 (this is guess alright) the later your valves close the less volume is held in cylinder (less compression), the sooner they close more volume is held in cylinders ...

All this is general info but with EFI & computer controlled ignition, anti knock sensors etc ... you can make higher compression engine work.

Greg ...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts