Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Gary,

I always put the scooter on the sidestand before hoisting it onto the centerstand. I do the same with my motorcycle. I've always done that.
As you mentioned, that allows me to get off of the machine safely. I can then get the proper stance - left hand on handlebar grip, right hand on passenger grab rail, right foot on centerstand tang (push it down to contact the floor or pavement) - gently right the machine, step down & pull up to hoist it on the centerstand. Then I kick the sidestand up.

That makes the whole process more relaxed, because I am not worrying about dropping the machine. I get a better stance for the lift, which greatly reduces the chance that I'll hurt my back - back injuries heal slow - and this whole routine takes maybe 1 minute more than if I skipped the sidestand step. It is total habit now - I don't even think about it.

The fact that the engine cuts out on the scooter when I drop the sidestand is no big deal - I would have been shutting the engine off next anyway. The only time it is slightly annoying, is if I've backed the scooter out of the garage, started it, and then remember that I left my sunglasses or gloves in the garage, or maybe left the lights on in the garage. If it weren't for the cutout switch, I could just set the handbrake, drop the sidestand, and go retrieve the item or whatever. But Suzuki doesn't trust me with that, which is mildly insulting. Actually I think it's the insulting thing that gets me, more than the inconvenience, when I drop the sidestand and the engine cuts out. And, yes, I know that's all in my head - they've got liability suits to consider. But it's my head, and that's how it thinks...

· Registered
12 Posts
Pauljo,
Like you say its sometimes irritating but not major enough to dislike the bike.You know i have owned a Honda Hornet 600 acouple of times+Yamaha xj 900+3 Kawasaki Gpz 500"s+numerous other bikes which i wont bore you with now.And the only bike i have had numerous favourable comments about is the burgy 650 and some of those from women.I"m seriously thinking of fitting a radio/cd player onto my 650, possibly putting the radio/cd player in the trunk and use the two front side glove compartments for the speakers

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.